Author Topic: How Many Types of Missiles Do you Need?  (Read 8120 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
How Many Types of Missiles Do you Need?
« on: March 17, 2018, 03:38:22 AM »
Seeing as every new type of missile requires you to manually distribute them across your empire and needs a missile launcher of appropriate size to launch them, it seems that it would be best to decide on keeping missiles at a similar size depending on their roles so you don't need to swap out launchers for every iteration.

For instance, is it really necessary to have 3 different sizes of anti-ship missile? If you make a bigger ship, isn't it better to simply add more existing launchers to fire more existing missiles simultaneously than to have to design a larger launcher to fire larger missiles?

I say you only need two types of missiles; anti-missile and anti-ship and that those missiles should be kept at the same size for the whole play-through with the only upgrades being new tech.

Iranon

Re: How Many Types of Missiles Do you Need?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 05:29:28 AM »
The considerations that make me choose a particular size don't tend to change much with tech.

Size 1 for AMMs and saturation attacks.
Size 7 for something just large enough for a sensor or a 2-stage approach, a small footpring and 1HTK in a box launcher.
I may have one larger size which be pretty much anything, size 25 seems a good compromise - large enough for most complicated things I may want to try, not excessive for single-stage use.

While I may design multiple versions (different sensors, different ranges for fighters and warships etc, different splits of warhead and agility), standardising on size seems good.
Also, I don't generally upgrade things very much... old ammo will be expended liberally, obsolescent ships will be used on the fringes in peacetime and be used for risky missions in war.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 05:35:10 AM »
I usually have 2 or 3 types of missiles.  size 1 for anti missile and size 4 and 6 for anti ship

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Size 1 AMM
A "light missile", usually in the 3-6 size range
A "medium missile", usually 2x the light.
A "heavy missile", usually 2x the medium.

A heavy MIRV that holds light missiles.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
1-2 sizes.

Size 1, for AMM's and anti-FAC missiles
Size 6 for ASM's

Occasionally I'll have specialty launchers I only make a handful of missiles for, like Size 25 for buoys or mines.

Offline Shiwanabe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hrm, text can't drone
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »
Personally I use 2-3 sizes for 3 types of missiles. Anti-Missile, Anti-Smallcraft and Anti-Ship.

The only reason I go to 3 is that I find my Anti-ship missiles have trouble chasing fighters/FACs, while my Anti-missile missiles don't have enough damage or range to clean them up easily.

I'm also debating whether I will include a larger missile type in more developed empires for dealing with larger combat ships but I have not yet encountered large enough ships often enough where this would be advantageous.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:36:05 PM by Shiwanabe »

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:17:38 AM »
How do you all get away with such large missiles? I mostly use size 2 or 3, anything larger and pd weapons (especially railguns) become so space effective that it becomes easy to get all incoming missiles shot down by final fire pd, making larger missiles completely useless unless I use box launchers only.

Or do you play against the ai, which is notoriously bad at pd?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
How do you all get away with such large missiles? I mostly use size 2 or 3, anything larger and pd weapons (especially railguns) become so space effective that it becomes easy to get all incoming missiles shot down by final fire pd, making larger missiles completely useless unless I use box launchers only.

Launcher size scales with ship size. So the bigger the ship, the bigger the missile. In the same number of launchers. So salvo size is not decreased at all.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
Generally just AMM and ASM, size 1 and 6 respectively.

Occasionally playing / experimenting with other sizes for special purposes.

Iranon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »

Mostly playing against the AI, but I tend to design with PD in mind.
If using large missiles, I often try to overwhelm fire controls rather than weapons, sometimes with 1 fire control per tube.
Point blank fire in a pinch (if the missile hits in the same increment it is fire, only CIWS will respond. I'm sad to see this feature go; the above is effective enough and this was a cool flavourful desperation move for ships not built for brawls).

##
Launcher size scales with ship size. So the bigger the ship, the bigger the missile. In the same number of launchers. So salvo size is not decreased at all.
Used to be the other way round for me: small ships rely on salvo dispersion while larger ships overwhelm PD weapons with a single large salvo of small-ish missiles.

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
That means you get smaller salvoes per HS of ship, which makes point defense easier for you opponent, because pd only cares of the number of missiles, not their size.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
Except big missiles can be armoured.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 03:27:28 PM »
Need? 1, maybe 2
Have? hundreds (well ok it's probably not hundreds, it just feels like it)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »

I generally use a mix of heavily armoured missiles along with lightly armoured missiles to burn through AMM and point blank. of course this could be countered by using mesons, but by the if you are using mesons, that means I can bully the enemy my own AMM, wich I usually make quite long ranged, meaning I can usually just bully any fleet out of a sistem. by the way my anti-ship missiles are size 12 i know I am crazy
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Tor Cha

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
I have 4-10 Missile Bodies 1-2 AAM 2-4 fighter gunboat Size (size 2-4) a Sensor Missile (size 3-6) then a Light Missile (size 6-8) a Medium Missile ( size 9-14 ) then A Heavy Missile (size 15-30 )
then 2 Mine Pod Missiles A Light one using either size 2-4 or 3-6 Missiles and a Heavy using the 15-30 size. tho i do have 2-4 others but those are Buoys, 2 Sensor 1 Survey 1 Warring.