Author Topic: Next Noddy Question  (Read 3957 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Next Noddy Question
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:11:45 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
What file names do I need to use for cdr name themes?

I believe it just opens a standard file dialog. So anything should work.
What format are they in?  ie list of first names followed by a list of surnames?  First name and surname together?

Thanks in Advance.
Unfortunately this is more complex than the racial themes. Because different countires can have radically different ways of handling names, I edit the code before importing names so its not just down to the format of the files. The simplest version would have three files called Surname.txt, FirstName.txt and FemaleFirstName.txt using the same one line per name as racial themes. There is occasionally need for another file called ThirdName.txt and I think I have used additional filenames in the past as well. I usually comment in, comment out and edit code depending on the nationality I am importing and I can't remember what that part of the code was like when I released v3.2. I really should have made the commander import option invisible to players. You can try the basic filenames but backup the database first in case weird things happen.

You can also send me the text files and I will make sure they get imported properly for the next version.

Steve

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 06:24:48 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Unfortunately this is more complex than the racial themes. Because different countires can have radically different ways of handling names, I edit the code before importing names so its not just down to the format of the files. The simplest version would have three files called Surname.txt, FirstName.txt and FemaleFirstName.txt using the same one line per name as racial themes. There is occasionally need for another file called ThirdName.txt and I think I have used additional filenames in the past as well. I usually comment in, comment out and edit code depending on the nationality I am importing and I can't remember what that part of the code was like when I released v3.2. I really should have made the commander import option invisible to players. You can try the basic filenames but backup the database first in case weird things happen.

You can also send me the text files and I will make sure they get imported properly for the next version.

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve; I'll send you some Welsh name text files in the next week.
Welchbloke

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 06:57:40 AM »
Steve - Is it possible to have an EU commanders and systems names in 4.0? I would hope this could be simply done by merging the EU nations themes, but perhaps not if the name themes contain specific software?

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Steve - Is it possible to have an EU commanders and systems names in 4.0? I would hope this could be simply done by merging the EU nations themes, but perhaps not if the name themes contain specific software?

Regards
Ian

An EU/Europe theme would be great.  I've been using the Secondary Commanders Names Themes to simulate a European theme. I usually make some mix of English, French, German, Italian and Polish.

I also use that feature to have the US "empire" use ~15% Japanese and 10% English names to reflect a US - JPN - Australia alliance.

For system and ship names I'll just override the main theme and throw in names that reflect the other members.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 01:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"

Regards
Ian
Probably not for v4.0 because I really want to concentrate on testing now. Certainly for the next version though. If anyone else wants to put one together for v4.0 I would be happy to load it in.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve; I'll send you some Welsh name text files in the next week.
Welsh commander name theme is now in for v4.0 - thanks!

Steve

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »
My next question is:
How do you use LPs for intrasystem jumps once a system has been grav surveyed?  They don't seem to show up on the system locations list.
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 05:23:11 PM »
If there are no LP around the secondary component, they are useless.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 03:07:11 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If there are no LP around the secondary component, they are useless.
OK, my understanding of LPs is wrong.  I assumed that all components would have LPs. :oops:
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:01 AM »
I have a question about precursor colonies.  In my current game I keep getting (in SM mode) a warning that my fleets are entering a system with an alien colony.  I encountered and destroyed some precursors around the B component but I cannot find any colonies in either the A or B components.  Would an abandoned installation (on planet B IV) get reported as a colony?
Welchbloke

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 04:30:31 AM »
That message usually means the Precursors have a listening post somewhere in the system.  Usually a single or perhaps two deep space scanners on a planet or moon.  Annoying to detect.  I normally end up sending a scout with active sensors on a trip throughout the system until I find it.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 06:07:27 AM »
Quote from: "Cassaralla"
That message usually means the Precursors have a listening post somewhere in the system.  Usually a single or perhaps two deep space scanners on a planet or moon.  Annoying to detect.  I normally end up sending a scout with active sensors on a trip throughout the system until I find it.
That's useful to know, thanks.  A scout has been tasked with touring the system.
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 08:04:51 AM »
That's useful to know, thanks.  A scout has been tasked with touring the system.

I didn't think that active sensors "saw" LP.  I've only ever seen them by parking a ship in orbit over the body and letting the thermal sensors pick it up.  (My orbit, I just mean a "move to" command.)

If you don't want to screw around with role-playing the search, there's a "feature" that someone reported earlier - you can turn on "show exclusion zones" and the LP will be highlighted.

John

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

I didn't think that active sensors "saw" LP.  I've only ever seen them by parking a ship in orbit over the body and letting the thermal sensors pick it up.  (My orbit, I just mean a "move to" command.)

If you don't want to screw around with role-playing the search, there's a "feature" that someone reported earlier - you can turn on "show exclusion zones" and the LP will be highlighted.

John
I'm going to role play the search first but I think I will use the 'feature' if I don't find the LP.  Thanks for the pointer.
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
That was difficult  :D
Welchbloke