Author Topic: Why guided missiles sef-destruct?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline deoved (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Why guided missiles sef-destruct?
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »
When missiles lose their target it self destruct. I assume that missiles is guided by fire controll, then why fire control crew did not assign new target for that missiles? If FC can track targets and guide missiles to them, it must have ability to guide missiles to new targets when previous became unavaible.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Why guided missiles sef-destruct?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
When missiles lose their target it self destruct. I assume that missiles is guided by fire controll, then why fire control crew did not assign new target for that missiles? If FC can track targets and guide missiles to them, it must have ability to guide missiles to new targets when previous became unavaible.

Once a fire control designates a target for a missile, it can't change that target mid-flight. However, that same fire control can be used to launch several waves of missiles at different targets.

You can include sensors on the missile though so it can find its own target if the initial target is destroyed.

Steve

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
Re: Why guided missiles sef-destruct?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
I've had semi-reliable luck adding a .1 size thermal or active sensor on a missile.  Thermals are good but not great, actives are pretty good at pegging new targets.  When you're firing at a stack of ships, you don't need much sensor range, because the missiles will already be right on top of the new targets, allowing you to fire a large salvo at one ship and have the missiles automatically trickle through other targets and spread more damage.