Author Topic: Super New/Super Sad  (Read 1862 times)

Offline rudefire (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • r
Super New/Super Sad
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
I've been reading about Aurora for the last couple of days.  I will be deploying to Afghanistan soon and have been looking for very complex, emergent games with high replay value to take over there with me.  I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for nearly a year now and then stumble onto this little gem.  But, alas, I have a widescreen laptop that does not support the resolution for this game.  Thus, I am super sad. .  Does anyone know of any fixes? Any help would be extremely appreciated.

-Rudefire

P. S.  I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
Re: Super New/Super Sad
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »
What is the resolution of your screen? The game supports 800 pixel high windows (check the "reduced height windows" option under game parameters) and you can further use a smaller screen if you set windows up to think that you have another screen on top - you can drag the window up above the level of the screen, which should be adequate if you also tick the aforementioned reduced height windows option.

Online welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:04:19 AM »
I was in the same boat in 09.  The bit of freeware called ResizeEnable worked (and continues to work) for me.  I have a Windows 7 laptop and the programme allows you to resize individual windows. Give it a go.  Also, there are some other options that people have mentioned in the FAQ subforum under resolution fixes.
Welchbloke

Offline rudefire (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
my screen resolution is 1366 x 768.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
Try this:

Make sure the reduced height windows option is ticked. Then press the windows key and tap P until "extend" is highlighted. Go to your resolution settings screen (control panel > Appearence and personalisation > display > adjust resolution) and the box at the top should show 2 displays. Under the "display" button, choose screen 2, set it to slightly wider than your current screen and in the box at the top drag it above screen 1 and save. This should allow you to move your cursor above the level of your actual screen. In this way, you can drag the aurora window up so that the bottom buttons are shown. It isn't perfect... IIRC, my 7hundredsomething height laptop requires the top half of the system view buttons to be cut off, but it's definitely playable like that.

Offline rudefire (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
:) thanks

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
Ooo, neat trick.  *goes to try on Netbook*

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
I play with the little "shortened window" thing and have learned how to use my desktop with the task bar on the right side.  After a few days I got used to the different taskbar position and I'm using it that way all the time.

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
I use "ResizeEnable" and "GimeSpace" programs. Not very comfortable but works.

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »
I can't wait until the day when I can afford a desktop with a normal-sized monitor, or even two! Then I can play Aurora in all of its glorious pixely height!
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:55 AM »

I can't wait until the day when I can afford a desktop with a normal-sized monitor, or even two! Then I can play Aurora in all of its glorious pixely height!

If You have enough cash, You can buy a decent monitor and connect it to your laptop(?)  ;D  Then buy PC later.
For some reasons i was using my laptop with my PC keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers. It's easy and effective solution.
Only in Death does Duty End