Author Topic: What does "Ban Body" in the system view do?  (Read 2933 times)

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
What does "Ban Body" in the system view do?
« on: November 25, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
... the tool-tip pop-up info pops up then disappears instantly, before I can read it.

I'm trying to prevent the civvies from sending colonists to a dangerous Xeno site, and the option to set the world as "stable population" or "source of colonists" is broken... it has no effect on preventing colonists from coming.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: What does "Ban Body" in the system view do?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
It is supposed to prevent civies to go there. There is still a small chance they will ignore it and it will _not_ work on your own colonies.

Note: I have never used this feature, so I may be off. If so, someone sure will correct me :)

Edit: Once you loose some ships there, the civies will start to avoid the system.

If you look on the galactic map you should see some numbers above that system seperated by a slash. The first number is the danger rating of the system (based on damage inflicted in that system) and the second is the defence value (Based on the PPV value of friendly ships). If the former is higher than the latter, civilian ships will avoid the system. Over time the danger value will fall, simulating the shipping companies being more prepared to take risks as the immediate fear of hostile action recedes, and the civs will start using the system again.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:07:32 PM by Hawkeye »
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
It is supposed to prevent civies to go there. There is still a small chance they will ignore it and it will _not_ work on your own colonies.

Note: I have never used this feature, so I may be off. If so, someone sure will correct me :)

That sounds right :), although it is a long time since I looked at it and I don't tend to use it myself.

Steve

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »
It definitely stops default-orders-survey ships from going to the banned world. When I started an NPR civ on Titan, I BAN'd Saturn and its moons, and my geosurvey ships ignored it.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
I think it prevents your ships from going there, but as mentioned it won't work on your own colonies. I'm not sure the effect on civvies, but afaik they won't visit random planets anyway.

If it's colonists you're having problems with, the best way I know of to control their flow is to set the sources of colonists to stable (any planet that is set to "source of colonists"), and ship any colonists you want manually, but that's a little micro-managementey and often won't be as fast (depending on how well your civ lines are flourishing).

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
If it's colonists you're having problems with, the best way I know of to control their flow is to set the sources of colonists to stable (any planet that is set to "source of colonists

I tried that, of course. It doesn't work.

That functionality seems to be broken in 5.53. It also resets to "destination of colonists", as soon as I leave that ledger page.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:28:06 PM by blue emu »

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »
I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »

That functionality seems to be broken in 5.53. It also resets to "destination of colonists", as soon as I leave that ledger page.

You can only change from "destination of colonists" if the population is at least 25 million. Otherwise, there would be little point in an 'independent' civilian sector as you could control exactly where they went. It should say something along those lines in the Civilian Colonization Status section, above the radio buttons.

EDIT: For the next version, I have greyed out the Source and Stable option for colonies with less than 25 million pop to make this more obvious.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:49:45 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
You can only change from "destination of colonists" if the population is at least 25 million.

Is there any way to prevent colonists from being shipped in?

The point is: I'm trying to avoid the surrender bug, which in my experience only triggers if there are civilians present.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »
Is there any way to prevent colonists from being shipped in?

The point is: I'm trying to avoid the surrender bug, which in my experience only triggers if there are civilians present.

Not in normal gameplay. The whole point of the civilian sector is this type of colonization. I guess if really necessary you could remove the population using SM Mode, or make the planet uninhabitable by SMing some Chlorine into the atmosphere.

The obvious solution is for me to fix the surrender bug. I've tried several times but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Steve

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

No, it does work as long as you set all possible sources of colonists to stable (or indeed themselves as destinations). Then the civvies simply have nowhere to pick people up from. Your colonies under 25mil automatically reset to destination, but the ones over will keep their status. Note if a civilian ship is already on the way to pick up colonists when you set the colony to stable, it will still pick up that load.

Well, it works for me anyway. I currently have a game where I'm using that to prevent civilians from causing a labour shortage on earth.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:47:58 PM by Person012345 »