Author Topic: Some questions about hangers and maintenance  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Outrojection (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • O
Some questions about hangers and maintenance
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:23:20 PM »
Do ships in hangers suffer maintenance failures?
And do maintenance modules on ships need minerals? (I'm guessing they do)

I wanted to place space stations at my jump points to dock ships and I need some way to keep the ships under repair.   

If ships in hangers don't fail, that would be great.   
Otherwise would stuffing the station full of maintenance supplies work? That why I'll just have ships takes from the supply stock and top off the place every once in a while.   
I'd rather not have to supply the stations with minerals.   

I'm also not sure if a ship has reduced performance if they repair a part with maintenance supplies.   

And finally is there a some way to build a large Space station type immobile ship with industry instead of shipyards? Like a PDC, but able to be tugged to jump points.   

Or maybe I'll have to settle for a big tractor chain of modular ships.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:33:28 PM by Outrojection »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Some questions about hangers and maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
I've never yet seen a maint failure on a unit in a hangar, my usual fleet design involves Carriers with 5Kt hangars usually carriying GBs but sometimes DDs and I dont ever recall seeing a maint alert for the loaded units.

If your JP station (ship) has significant hanger space & good maint (using Engineering Spaces) then you will probably have to resupply the maint occasiionally, but it should do as you want.  The only problem is that the JP Station istelf will get older & require overhaul at some point (you cant put enough maint modules on a unit to make it self maintaining - a module to support 200t takes up 5000t in space, to say nothing of the Habitat modules to hold the people to run the maint modules).

There are no "partial repairs" in Aurora - a repaired item is as good as new - the only diff is that if the repair is due to battle damage, or not repaired automatically by the onboard Engineering facilities (eg because there wasn't enough supplies at the time of failure) then it costs twice as much to repair.

I believe that if you design a unit with a habitat module then it becomes able to be built by Industry.  The problem with this idea is that when you add Hangar bays, the unit automatically becomes military, and therefore subject to maintenance - if you have a habitat module this means that your station is something over 250Kt, which will mean a interval failure rate over 100% - ie something ought to fail every production cycle, (altough when I tested this what I actually got was a series of errors in the maintenance routine and no actual reduction of the unit).
Slàinte,

Mike

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
I just tried this now and with only 10 hangars the AFR is around 50000% due to the hab module.   

I just need a way to "dock" ships at a location for long periods of time without accruing maintenance failures and without having to build a huge shipyard for a huge hangar ship.   

I guess I'll have to make due with smaller stations to act as storage units for lower numbers of ships.   

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 01:53:58 AM »
If you can swing the cost, PDCs provide zero upkeep and infinite size hangar space.  I'm in the process of building a 500,000 ton "borehole" class storage base, ideally for storing any ships that have a high failure rate but a high value, like strikecraft with no maintenance space but high speed, and dreadnaughts that would otherwise incur a hefty annual cost, not to mention specially captured swarm and precursor ships that can be stored safely.  In fact most of the reason for this storage base is to store captured swarm ships.

Hangars prevent all system failures and zero out upkeep - basically cold storage.  Ships that are inside a hangar can have their armor repaired via the hangar ship's maintenance supplies, as well as their standard internal systems, and box launchers reloaded.

Maintenance installations draw mineral cost, and prevent failure, a simple form of paying upkeep.  Ships in hangars incur no mineral cost.

Maintenance modules work exactly like installations, with the notable point that they must be in orbit of a colony.  A free-standing station with maintenance modules will not serve any use, but once put around a system body with a colony, then it will apply towards the tonnage support.  This is most useful for mobile fleets, if you've got a swarm of 100 HS destroyers as your main fleet, then you can make a forward base by sticking 25 maintenance modules onto a mothership and then ferrying supplies over via cargo ship.  It makes long, temporary guard posts more realistic than trying to shuffle 25 installations over.

If you want a big ship, add an orbital habitat.  If you want a mothership sized carrier, add an orbital habitat and any number of other components, and it's built from industry or shipyards (if you've got a big enough yard).  I do this for my "megaformer" ship, 1 OH and 50 terraforming modules.  Similar for mining modules and sorium.  I've debated similar for hangar ships, but I usually don't have a problem getting a single shipyard up to very high tonnage, with just one spillway.  Do note though, that you can build military ships with an OH, and make proper deathstars that are constructed at industry and theoretically infinite size - if you can afford the annual upkeep.  A PDC built to store a deathstar allows for free upkeep.

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
Quote from: Girlinhat link=topic=4404. msg43924#msg43924 date=1322726038
If you can swing the cost, PDCs provide zero upkeep and infinite size hangar space.   I'm in the process of building a 500,000 ton "borehole" class storage base, ideally for storing any ships that have a high failure rate but a high value, like strikecraft with no maintenance space but high speed, and dreadnaughts that would otherwise incur a hefty annual cost, not to mention specially captured swarm and precursor ships that can be stored safely.   In fact most of the reason for this storage base is to store captured swarm ships.

Hangars prevent all system failures and zero out upkeep - basically cold storage.   Ships that are inside a hangar can have their armor repaired via the hangar ship's maintenance supplies, as well as their standard internal systems, and box launchers reloaded.

Maintenance installations draw mineral cost, and prevent failure, a simple form of paying upkeep.   Ships in hangars incur no mineral cost.

Maintenance modules work exactly like installations, with the notable point that they must be in orbit of a colony.   A free-standing station with maintenance modules will not serve any use, but once put around a system body with a colony, then it will apply towards the tonnage support.   This is most useful for mobile fleets, if you've got a swarm of 100 HS destroyers as your main fleet, then you can make a forward base by sticking 25 maintenance modules onto a mothership and then ferrying supplies over via cargo ship.   It makes long, temporary guard posts more realistic than trying to shuffle 25 installations over.

If you want a big ship, add an orbital habitat.   If you want a mothership sized carrier, add an orbital habitat and any number of other components, and it's built from industry or shipyards (if you've got a big enough yard).   I do this for my "megaformer" ship, 1 OH and 50 terraforming modules.   Similar for mining modules and sorium.   I've debated similar for hangar ships, but I usually don't have a problem getting a single shipyard up to very high tonnage, with just one spillway.   Do note though, that you can build military ships with an OH, and make proper deathstars that are constructed at industry and theoretically infinite size - if you can afford the annual upkeep.   A PDC built to store a deathstar allows for free upkeep.

I thought adding military parts to ship with an orbital habitat disqualifies it from being built with industry?
I would do the PDC thing, but the problem is I want to store the ships in a point in space, and not only in orbit around a body.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »
It can still be built with industry,  but the orbital habitat module means it takes literally hundreds of engineering spaces for the station to not instantly explode without sufficient maintenance facilities.   If you want non-body storage facility you're kinda out of luck. 

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
the method above seems to result in a unit that doesn't atcually require maint, although it does generate a number of 3021 errors at each production cycle, in the ApplyMaintenanceFailure procedure.

Slàinte,

Mike