Author Topic: Fighter Design  (Read 7304 times)

Offline DizzyFoxkit (OP)

• Petty Officer
Fighter Design
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:16 AM »
I was looking at how to design fighters recently, and with the advice I got from this board, I made 2. I'll only post one as the other is a carbon copy. Now I'm aware that this ship is too slow to be effective against enemy ships.  My main question is why is it marked as a military ship instead of a fighter? The tonnage is within acceptable ranges. is it because of the missile launchers? If it is how do I get around this?

Code: [Select]
Kresta class Fighter    700 tons     73 Crew     129.4 BP      TCS 14  TH 36  EM 0
2571 km/s     Armour 2-7     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 2
Maint Life 15.72 Years     MSP 116    AFR 3%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 1    5YR 13    Max Repair 50 MSP
Magazine 2   

Perigrin E10 Fghtr (1)    Power 36    Fuel Use 10000%    Signature 36    Armour 0    Exp 25%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 1.3 billion km   (5 days at full power)

SSAFM ML Mk1 (2)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
SSAFM FC Mk1 (1)     Range 10.6m km    Resolution 2

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Fighter Design
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »
Fighter factories can only manufacture ships up to 500tons.   Anything heavier requires a shipyard.

To keep fighter weights down, you should get the tiny fuel/engineering techs as well as Command Module. You also want to use box launchers for missiles, generally.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
You have such tiny magazines, you should default to box launchers.  If you took off the magazine and added 2 additional boxes, you'd get the same firepower for less size and higher salvo size.  You should be able to get a 250-500 ton fighter out if you strip it down - and remember, it does need to be stripped.  These aren't warships, these aren't even ships.  These are "boats" that are too tiny to survive in open space on their own.  It's a rowboat in the ocean.  Mount 1-2 box launchers and give it a 20 hour fuel life (or 1 tiny fuel) and nothing else.  They can't do much, they won't do much at all, that's not the point.  The point is that if your missile ships are packing 10 launchers each, then you could build 5 fighters in a month to fill 1,250-2,500 tons of hangar space.  My usual design for 5 or 10 hangars for a carrier might load 10-20 fighters.  What they lack in power they make up for in numbers and cost.  They can deliver a payload at greater distance and let your missiles have more warhead and less fuel.  This is the task of the missile fighter and this is the only task.  Your fighters are not concerned with point defense, armor, shields, jump drives, fuel, or maintenance.  I often leave mine without any maintenance spaces, actually.  The 0 maintenance life doesn't matter when they're only out fighting for 3 hour skirmishes and then back in the carrier.

Also, what engine tech is that?  Many people rightly argue that you shouldn't bother with fighters until you get magneto-plasma.

Offline DizzyFoxkit (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
You have such tiny magazines, you should default to box launchers.  If you took off the magazine and added 2 additional boxes, you'd get the same firepower for less size and higher salvo size.  You should be able to get a 250-500 ton fighter out if you strip it down - and remember, it does need to be stripped.  These aren't warships, these aren't even ships.  These are "boats" that are too tiny to survive in open space on their own.  It's a rowboat in the ocean.  Mount 1-2 box launchers and give it a 20 hour fuel life (or 1 tiny fuel) and nothing else.  They can't do much, they won't do much at all, that's not the point.  The point is that if your missile ships are packing 10 launchers each, then you could build 5 fighters in a month to fill 1,250-2,500 tons of hangar space.  My usual design for 5 or 10 hangars for a carrier might load 10-20 fighters.  What they lack in power they make up for in numbers and cost.  They can deliver a payload at greater distance and let your missiles have more warhead and less fuel.  This is the task of the missile fighter and this is the only task.  Your fighters are not concerned with point defense, armor, shields, jump drives, fuel, or maintenance.  I often leave mine without any maintenance spaces, actually.  The 0 maintenance life doesn't matter when they're only out fighting for 3 hour skirmishes and then back in the carrier.

Also, what engine tech is that?  Many people rightly argue that you shouldn't bother with fighters until you get magneto-plasma.

yea, I can see why trying to make these like "ships" would be a bad idea. This Race doesn't have Magneto-plasma yet and I just wanted to try and have an outline to work with when I could make a fighter. After some thought I probably should use FAC's until I get box launchers and MP engines.

@Shoe, thanks for the Fighter weight, I had no idea it was that low  :(

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »
Personally I don't find the lower tech engines a show stopper.  It's really dependent on what other supporting tech you have available the determines if fighters are a viable option.  It also depends on what role or roles you envision for them. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:39 AM »
I would recommend in researching the +power, -eff techs for your current engine generation. They are pretty cheap to research and the higher fuel cost and explosion chance are not really an issue for a fighter. That way you can squeeze out little extra speed and have fast fighters even before Magneto-Plasma.

Offline PTTG

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
Here's a good question for newtonian aurora- will ships blowing up have an area effect? Because if that's the case, making your fighters very, very fast and very, very explosive might be an interesting way of having missiles without fire controls.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:58 AM »
Here's a good question for newtonian aurora- will ships blowing up have an area effect? Because if that's the case, making your fighters very, very fast and very, very explosive might be an interesting way of having missiles without fire controls.

A ship that blows up may have some area effect in Newtonian Aurora, depending on why it blows up. Although as with all explosions in space, including nuclear detonations, the area of effect for a given output of energy is much lower than in atmosphere

Steve