Author Topic: How do you enable PD for a weapon system?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline TBleader (OP)

• Leading Rate
How do you enable PD for a weapon system?
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Hi, I had questions about laser PD. .  How do you do it? I tried setting the lasers to each of the options and hitting 'Set Mode', but it didn't work.  There are three weapon systems on each of my cruisers dedicated for PD.  Do they just auto target incoming missiles or is that setting needed? I really don't want to test them by throwing them into the battle yet.  Their job is to defend the other six battleships.  Also, should I drop lasers entirely and stick to missiles? If so, how do you set PD for those too.  Sorry for such a silly question; I tried searching the wiki and the forums with no luck.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: How do you enable PD for a weapon system?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »
For point defense lasers use 'final defensive fire'. it will work automatically, as long as the missiles are detected by active sensors.  For point defense missiles set it to one of the antimissile mods and give it a fairly long range. Again, you need to spot the enemy on active sensors.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:46:20 AM »
Does PD target fighters?

Offline Mormota

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:23:07 AM »
I don't think so. It shouldn't, at any rate.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:13 AM »
Fighters basically work like small ships in every regard - PD only targets missiles.   You can use automated fire or "Multiple Target Same Loc" to ease targeting of swarms though :)

Also, should I drop lasers entirely and stick to missiles
Antimissiles are great, and are basically better in every way at missile defense. But, well... they run out, and beams don't.   It's terrible to lose a fight because your antimissile magazines ran dry before incoming salvos stopped.   Also, there are nontrivial industrial & logistical concerns in keeping a fleet stocked with missile ammunition if you do any fighting at all.

In my experience a layered defence (having both beams and missiles) is best.   Against individually weak salvos you can forego using AMMs entirely which can save a lot of ammunition.   Beam capability is also highly important for jump point assault and defence so its always good to have some built into your fleet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:07:16 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline TBleader (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
When I select my first FC and tell it to do Final Defensive Fire and hit set mode, then do it to the others, I go back to check that it set it and it doesn't stay.  It stays on "None".  What did I do wrong? Is it set and just being strange by not saying it?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »
When I select my first FC and tell it to do Final Defensive Fire and hit set mode, then do it to the others, I go back to check that it set it and it doesn't stay.  It stays on "None".  What did I do wrong? Is it set and just being strange by not saying it?

Are you doing this on the F6 Ship Window or the F8 Combat Window? If the latter, check the Weapon and Fire Control Assignment Summary text box and see what that has for the fire control in question.

Steve

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
Actually, that's fine. It automatically highlights none when you go on that screen, but as long as you set it right it should still do final defensive fire.

Offline TBleader (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=4458. msg44543#msg44543 date=1323618949
Are you doing this on the F6 Ship Window or the F8 Combat Window? If the latter, check the Weapon and Fire Control Assignment Summary text box and see what that has for the fire control in question.

Steve
Ah! I didn't know about the F8 window.  Much nicer for Combat than F6.  Thanks, and yeah it set it.  Strange on how it shows none instead of what it is on the drop down, oh well.  :V Thank you for your help.

Offline TBleader (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
It works well.  I found some alien mines (After they destroyed a ship of mine trying to explore. . .  :argh:) and the fleet went in and those missiles didn't touch it.  Thanks for the help.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
A piece of advice: Open every single window you can find. You will guaranteed learn something new. Worked for me!