Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 109033 times)

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #690 on: October 12, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
Two additional requests.

1) Have construction cycles operate on a fixed scheduled such as 1 week, then have the financial and mining reports report based on per construction cycle, instead of how much was made last increment. That way the construction cycle would happen every 7 days (or 5 currently) on a regular schedule on the same day at the same time, and the reports would show numbers that reflect per cycle, as opposed to whenever the computer stopped the simulation.

2) Retrograde Orbits. There are several moons that move CW, such as Triton, as well as several asteroids. Found a retrograde orbit! Although I think it is just the planet orbiting the star faster than the moon can orbit the planet.

3) Eccentric orbits. While I can understand not doing most of the planets (whose eccentricity is usually less than 1%) but dwarf planets like Pluto, Eris and Sedna can go pretty far out. Pluto goes from inside Neptune (4.4 bkm) to well outside that (7.3 bkm), Eris goes from 5.7 billion to 14 billion and Sedna goes from 11 billion to 140 billion (55 c*days compared to Pluto's 5 c*hours).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:41:20 PM by swarm_sadist »

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #691 on: October 12, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »
Because of the long and variable turn processing times it would be great if there was some sort of gentle chime when turn processing had completed and it was time for your input again.
I would actually like to second that, if its not too hard to code in. We joke about reading books or doing various other things while waiting for turns to process but some sort of notification (possibly that we can turn on and off) would be good.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #692 on: October 12, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
2) Retrograde orbits. I had no idea that Venus and Uranus went in the opposite direction of every other planet. There are several moons that move CW as well, such as Triton.
You're confusing revolution around the sun for rotation around the body's central axis.

All planets orbit the sun counter-clockwise.  Venus and Uranus rotate differently than the rest of the planets.  Venus rotates the opposite direction than the rest of the planets, and Uranus rotates perpendicularly to the rest of the planets.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:50 PM »
You're confusing revolution around the sun for rotation around the body's central axis.

All planets orbit the sun counter-clockwise.  Venus and Uranus rotate differently than the rest of the planets.  Venus rotates the opposite direction than the rest of the planets, and Uranus rotates perpendicularly to the rest of the planets.
You're correct, the only significant body apart from asteroids which has retrograde orbit is Triton.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #694 on: October 13, 2015, 08:11:13 AM »
My mistake, it sounded strange to say it. I guess I should of read that more carefully, with more than 2 hours of sleep.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #695 on: October 13, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »
There should be a shore leave order like this is a "Begin Overhaul" order. Alternatively/in addition to that in the repeat/wait area of the orders there should be a "Wait for completed shore leave" option, like there is currently a "Wait for X seconds" option.

I would like to be able to say "Ok Freighters, load infrastructure, drop it off, go back, refuel, resupply, have your shore leave, and repeat".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:59:39 PM by Yonder »

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »
It's my understanding that Ballistic Missile submarines, and maybe some other vessels, have two crews. This is because the ships themselves need far less downtime that the human crews do. Something similar to that would be nice as well.

On the one hand you could go all the way: Actually have two officers and two crew allotments, tracking the two crew grades, morale, and locations. But I think that a simpler way would be sufficient: Keep a single officer for simplicity (sucks to be him) and have a "switch crew" command pull out crew from the available crew pool as if a new ship was built, then push the old crew into the crew pool as if the ship have been scrapped.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #697 on: October 20, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
Could we get a tech addition that makes engineering more efficient? We already have the tech line that allows engines to use less fuel per hour, if we could get something similar but in reverse so an engineering space offers a greater reduction in AFR. At the moment for my current game overhauls are becoming the biggest micromanagement bugbear for me. I understand I can just turn them off, but I do like the feature as it adds some RP factor to things. Sadly though when I find that my new black magic like tech is just as easy to break I have to wonder exactly what all the yellow shirts are doing down in the engine room all day.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #698 on: October 20, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
Or, something similar to what Rich.h said, a module that only effects failure rate. We have Engineering Spaces that affect both AFR and DC and we have the Damage Control techs that affect just the DC (but does nothing to afr or maintenance storage), so why not a tech line that does the same thing as the Damage Control except with failure rates. Like the DC, it would probably be 3 HS and affect it multiple (variable per tech) times as much as engineering spaces, but it wouldn't add to damage control or add maintenance storage (possibly).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #699 on: October 20, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
I would really like to see a new fleet order system. Some way to change the destinations a fleet visits in a system without having to remove all the later orders would be awesome.

Maybe you could make it the jumps had to be in a static order, but you could choose a system that the fleet will be in, and add/remove destinations, and even reorder them without moving them past a jump order on either side.

So, say you had these orders for a Geo Survey ship, starting in Sol:
Code: [Select]
Standard Transit Proxima Centauri Jump Point
Refuel from colony Proxima Centauri III
Standard Transit Alpha Centauri Jump Point

But then you realize you didn't survey Asteroid #276. It would be awesome if you could choose that you want to change the fleet orders in the Proxima Centauri system, and just insert Geological Survey Asteroid #276 right in the middle of the orders, instead of having to remove later orders, add the new order, then readd the later orders.

And then now you have:
Geological Survey Asteroid #276

But suddenly you notice that it would make sense to survey the asteroid first, then refuel and head on to Alpha Centauri. You could also reorder the intra-system orders, similar to how you can reorder the industry or research queues. You'd need some check to prevent the order from moving past a jump order, so you could get this:
but not this:

since I'm sure that would break the game.
And then having the ability to remove intra-system orders the same way you can add them.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to code in, since I'm not sure how you programmed the move orders in the first place, but this would be an awesome functionality, since I tend to plan my orders fairly far into the future, and it's always annoying having to reconstruct them every time I want to make a change early on.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #700 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »
^ Never actually did the math to check, but if thats true, then damn, thats a lot of duranium that goes basically to waste. (Or neutronium with later armors)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #701 on: October 29, 2015, 12:45:14 AM »
Oh damn, I'm completely wrong, somehow I've missed the messages saying how much Duranium is recovered from each scrapped ship, some quick tests show you get back about the same as with any other system or component( between a quarter and a fifth)
Edit: I spoke way too soon, something weird is going on which I need to put up in the bugs thread.

Edit:  here's something related to the bug I noticed above. When a ship is refit you should get back any components which aren't in the new design, in most cases at minimum you save gallicite by completely scrapping a ship and making a new one compared to refitting one with new engines.
And lately I've been thinking about how unrealistically cheap small components are to research. In real life fighters are amongst the most expensive technologically advanced components of warfare.
Perhaps anything below a certain size should have a multiplier to research and possibly to build too.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:14:40 AM by MarcAFK »
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #702 on: November 01, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »
Add "water" option in terraforming. This would both enable to creation of more realistic atmosphere, including water vapors and eventually creating a hydrosphere on a planet. Turning a normal planet into a water world should also be possible, though I guess it's more of an cosmetic effect.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #703 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »
Add "water" option in terraforming. This would both enable to creation of more realistic atmosphere, including water vapors and eventually creating a hydrosphere on a planet. Turning a normal planet into a water world should also be possible, though I guess it's more of an cosmetic effect.
There already is, although it doesn't do much to the hydrosphere at the moment I believe.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #704 on: November 01, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
Water is a greenhouse gas (I think) but hydro sphere is only capable of freezing or thawing, otherwise it's unchangable.