Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 183902 times)

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #435 on: September 01, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »
I've added the ability to create new Lagrange points

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg116230#msg116230

Thank you, it's a really great gameplay improvement in my opinion.

About the Lagrange points. I know that they are "trailing" their planet, but how far are they exactly from such planet? Could we have an approximated formula or even just a quick and dirty estimate?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #436 on: September 01, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »

Thank you, it's a really great gameplay improvement in my opinion.

About the Lagrange points. I know that they are "trailing" their planet, but how far are they exactly from such planet? Could we have an approximated formula or even just a quick and dirty estimate?

Sixty degrees of arc. It is the position of the real L5 Lagrange Point. The general area of the L4 and L5 Lagrange points is where Aurora generates Trojan asteroids.

https://www.space.com/30302-lagrange-points.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:23:23 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Zincat

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »

Great news! Will NPRs use this mechanic?
Also, is it possible to set the minimum size of a planet for this during game startup? For me personally 0.25 is too small and I would like to have 1.0 as minimum possible.
Thanks!

NPRs don't have code for this at the moment. I may add it in future.

I could add a restriction, but as this is a single-player game, it would be straightforward to set yourself whatever restrictions seem reasonable, such as not using planets with mass below 1.0. I chose 0.25 because that is the mass where the time to stabilise is ten years and I didn't want every asteroid to be listed with a ten thousand year timescale.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:25:46 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #438 on: September 01, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

NPRs don't have code for this at the moment. I may add it in future.

I could add a restriction, but as this is a single-player game, it would be straightforward to set yourself whatever restrictions seem reasonable, such as not using planets with mass below 1.0. I chose 0.25 because that is the mass where the time to stabilize is ten years and I didn't want every asteroid to be listed with a ten thousand year timescale.

Right, but if you will add this option for NPRs it is no longer only mine decision:)
Anyway, thank you for this addition, its a rather welcomed one.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #439 on: September 01, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »
Does it work on moons' L5s too? If I find one with a mass over 0.25 earth mass, that is.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #440 on: September 01, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »
Does it work on moons' L5s too? If I find one with a mass over 0.25 earth mass, that is.

No, only planets.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #441 on: September 02, 2019, 08:05:24 AM »

No, only planets.

But conveniently, any moon with a mass over 0.25E will orbit a planet with a mass over 0.25E.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #442 on: September 02, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »

No, only planets.

But conveniently, any moon with a mass over 0.25E will orbit a planet with a mass over 0.25E.

But inconveniently, the planet's L5 will be as far away from the planet as the start is, while the moon's L5 will be only the orbital distance of the moon away from the planet and hence would make a great shortcut to get to the planet.  Which from a game play point of view is a fine reason for Steve to decide either A) to support them or B) to not support them - I can see good arguments both ways :)

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
An observation (which I first noticed a week or two ago):

The intent of this "Questions" thread was to accumulate the random questions that people were asking as a way to avoid thread spam.  There is a different "Changes Discussions" thread which is intended to deal with discussion of the changes as Steve posts them (since the Changes thread is locked IIRC to everyone but Steve so it can be a noiseless rules repository).

This protocol appears to be breaking down.  People are discussing changes in this thread and asking questions in the other thread, which can lead to a lot of ninja posts, especially for the discussions.  An example of this is that right now we've got the "stabilize Lagrange points" discussion going on in both threads, and I just put up a post in Discussion that went over some stuff that was already covered in Questions.

Now the opinion:  I think we should either try to have more discipline in terms of keeping the threads distinct (and politely guiding people to the proper thread when they mis-post), or retire one of the two threads by locking it.  I think the worst choice would be to keep going as-is.  I prefer the first choice (try to keep two distinct threads), since I think there's value for newcomers in having a thread that acts as a pseudo-FAQ without a lot of discussion noise in it, but am ok with the second.

Thoughts?

John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 11:55:50 AM by sloanjh »

The following users thanked this post: Viridia

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #444 on: September 02, 2019, 02:15:29 PM »
I think if we have 2 threads, the same problem will happen over and over again. Might be better to lock this one.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2019, 12:03:23 AM »
I think thats potentially reasonable since there is a thread called 'discussion' anyhow, and questions arguably count as discussion.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #446 on: September 05, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »
It may have been already discussed and I missed it but is it possible to know if Dormient Jump points are now "sorted"? I never really liked the idea even if I understand why is actually there.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #447 on: September 06, 2019, 12:18:17 AM »
I believe they are a byproduct of map generation being an ongoing thing.  You and any game-start NPRs are going around exploring systems, causing them to be generated.  They don't exist prior to someone visiting them, so when they are created they spawn in jump points.  These points can lead to already-surveyed systems, leading to 'dormant jump points' springing into being.

AFAIK its still a thing in C#, though I personally wouldn't mind a game with finite systems (say 100 or so) which are all spawned in at the beginning, to prevent this nonsense.  I almost always go with finite space anyways since its incomprehensible to me why people would want to play on a potentially infinite map doomed to lag death.

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #448 on: September 06, 2019, 12:37:10 AM »
My personal pet peeve is the fact that dormant points needs to be explored from the active side. Otherwise I'm pretty much fine with them. I like the rude awakening thing they do to you once you notice hostile fleet in your system

AFAIK its still a thing in C#, though I personally wouldn't mind a game with finite systems (say 100 or so) which are all spawned in at the beginning, to prevent this nonsense.  I almost always go with finite space anyways since its incomprehensible to me why people would want to play on a potentially infinite map doomed to lag death.
I guess there could be an option also to just generate the jump points instead of whole systems so that the jump points would never be dormant.

Offline TheRowan

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #449 on: September 06, 2019, 02:35:56 AM »
My personal pet peeve is the fact that dormant points needs to be explored from the active side. Otherwise I'm pretty much fine with them. I like the rude awakening thing they do to you once you notice hostile fleet in your system

I don't know, it seems to make more sense to me that there are some warp points that are very difficult to detect from one end (even if they've been there all along) than for new surveyable warp points to appear when you explore an entirely different system.

(Incidentally, dormant warp points - known as "closed" points in universe - and their effects on defensive planning, are a major plot point in the Starfire book and game series that Aurora is heavily inspired by)