Author Topic: STO Missiles?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
STO Missiles?
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »
I had the brilliant idea of trying to build ICBM silos using the STO component on a static ground unit... Except it doesn't seem that I can mount a missile launcher on a STO unit.

Is there any way to launch missiles from the ground in Aurora? Or am I better off substituting my ICBM silos for orbital missile bases?

On a somewhat related note, I was also interested in adding strategic missile bombers to my arsenal, but again aircraft don't exist so there isn't really a good way to implement this. Anyone have any suggestions on that front?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:54:07 PM by liveware »
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: STO Missiles?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:17 PM »
I had the brilliant idea of trying to build ICBM silos using the STO component on a static ground unit... Except it doesn't seem that I can mount a missile launcher on a STO unit.

Is there any way to launch missiles from the ground in Aurora? Or am I better off substituting my ICBM silos for orbital missile bases?

On a somewhat related note, I was also interested in adding strategic missile bombers to my arsenal, but again aircraft don't exist so there isn't really a good way to implement this. Anyone have any suggestions on that front?

there is currently no missiles for STOs, though they may be added later

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:24:54 PM »
Orbital bases it is then!

The following users thanked this post: Cristo

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:35:07 PM »
Personally, I suspect it's because launching missiles out of the bottom of a gravity well is just...kinda troublesome.

Still would be fun as an option, but I think it would need purpose-built railguns just to get the missiles into orbit. So basically something that took a lot of effort to build, but was relatively cheap. And also completely impossible to move, since you can't 'transport' 50 miles of underground accelerator.

It actually would be a really cool thing if they weren't STOs or ground forces, but rather literally an installation that was not possible to transport. Would make some planets VERY difficult to attack, but require quite a lot of work to make that happen.

The following users thanked this post: Cristo

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
Personally, I suspect it's because launching missiles out of the bottom of a gravity well is just...kinda troublesome.

Still would be fun as an option, but I think it would need purpose-built railguns just to get the missiles into orbit. So basically something that took a lot of effort to build, but was relatively cheap. And also completely impossible to move, since you can't 'transport' 50 miles of underground accelerator.

It actually would be a really cool thing if they weren't STOs or ground forces, but rather literally an installation that was not possible to transport. Would make some planets VERY difficult to attack, but require quite a lot of work to make that happen.
Missiles are small transnewtonian craft. Transnewtonian craft of less than 500 tons can fly into planetary airspace (or very near space in the absence of air) and can land. Not really any problem, there.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 09:35:16 AM »
Quote from: liveware link=topic=11720. msg138159#msg138159 date=1593478334
On a somewhat related note, I was also interested in adding strategic missile bombers to my arsenal, but again aircraft don't exist so there isn't really a good way to implement this.  Anyone have any suggestions on that front?

I recommend a no-mobility or barely-fast-enough-to-not-lose-orbit space fighter with box launchers for that.  you can put an orbital base for them to dock on and have them on ground support/search and destroy the rest of the time so they aren't hit by ship weapons.  For a more general plnet fighter or a bomber which requires no ammo, use fighter pods of the machinegun/bombardment type.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »
Quote from: liveware link=topic=11720. msg138159#msg138159 date=1593478334
On a somewhat related note, I was also interested in adding strategic missile bombers to my arsenal, but again aircraft don't exist so there isn't really a good way to implement this.  Anyone have any suggestions on that front?

I recommend a no-mobility or barely-fast-enough-to-not-lose-orbit space fighter with box launchers for that.  you can put an orbital base for them to dock on and have them on ground support/search and destroy the rest of the time so they aren't hit by ship weapons.  For a more general plnet fighter or a bomber which requires no ammo, use fighter pods of the machinegun/bombardment type.

That's the direction I've been going, at least with regards to the missile fighter. Turns out you can stick a LOT of size 1 box launchers on a 500 ton ship... even more if said ship doesn't have engines. In fact, it's possible to design an engineless missile station with zero crew, so it's deployment time is effectively equal to it's maintenance clock. And with zero engines, it can have quite a loooooong maintenance clock  ;D

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 04:01:08 AM »
For a more general plnet fighter or a bomber which requires no ammo, use fighter pods of the machinegun/bombardment type.

I wish the game told me this somewhere so I could have designed a carrier without massive magazines.

Also when you have 65 or any large number of GSFs how can you actually assign all of them? I have a problem where when I expand the list of fighters I can only assign the ones at the top of the list because the game doesn't allow me to drag a fighter and scroll the OOB menu up. This means that fighters at the bottom of the list can't be assigned to ground units outside of the menus range.

Offline Cobaia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 04:05:03 AM »
For a more general plnet fighter or a bomber which requires no ammo, use fighter pods of the machinegun/bombardment type.

I wish the game told me this somewhere so I could have designed a carrier without massive magazines.

Also when you have 65 or any large number of GSFs how can you actually assign all of them? I have a problem where when I expand the list of fighters I can only assign the ones at the top of the list because the game doesn't allow me to drag a fighter and scroll the OOB menu up. This means that fighters at the bottom of the list can't be assigned to ground units outside of the menus range.

Same problem, In GC OOB screen and sometimes in the Fleet screen due to large amount of Naval Commands