Author Topic: Turret armor, and will shields protect turrets?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Turret armor, and will shields protect turrets?
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »
I have actually, miracle of miracles, figured out how to build and fight reasonably effective missile ships.  I am now wanting to equip my 50K battlecruisers (going for 60K next gen) with a couple of PD gauss turrets, both to bolster the ship's defense versus missile swarms that could overwhelm my AMM defense, and as a backup in case of jump point attacks.  They currently have a couple of CIWS and other than that are missile only.   

I build my warships to be largely self sufficient with both offense and defense in a single class, but without their own jump drive.  They have dual active search sensors (just in case) sufficient to cover the range of their fire control for both ASM (21 size 6) and AMM (24 size 1), in addition to multiple fire control systems for both the offensive ASM batteries and as many as one for every two AMM launchers.  Six of those (eight in the next version) get matched up with an equally sized 'command' cruiser that is largely unarmed, but contains a maxed fleet jump drive and a total of four various 50HS active and passive search sensors.  That command cruiser also of course has a flag bridge.  It tends to be a good bit more heavily armored and shielded as well, and currently carries a half dozen CIWS.

I understand that there is no point to giving turrets a tracking speed higher than the maximum tracking speed of one's 4x beam fire control.  This is a disturbingly low tracking speed of 32000km/s (currently, I intend to push a breakthrough there before committing to a new ship).  Given that my own missiles are three times that speed, I fear for the effectiveness.  None the less I feel at least a couple such turrets are warranted.  I'll be going for the best, biggest gauss I can build, probably two per turret unless there is a compelling armor benefit to concentrating all my eggs.  With only four guns total, is there much benefit from two beam fire controls?

My ships themselves have an armor depth of 20-120 and 120-300 shields.  It seems to me that adding armor to turrets for even just four or five depth is 'VERY' much not worth the while, given how paltry that is compared to the ship itself.    Am I missing something? Is there only a very small chance only of the turret itself actually being hit such that even a small amount of armor could give it a much greater life expectancy? Do the ship's shields cover turrets?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:38:40 PM by Panpiper »

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Turret armor, and will shields protect turrets?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
Turrets are covered by both shields and ship armor. Turret armor is just extra defense if it takes damage directly. I usually forgo turret armor in the interests of making them as light as possible, especially since the VB6 version has a bug making turret armor way heavier than it should be.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
There is a bug in VB6 that means that turret armour uses more armour than it should, so may be more cost-effective to not add extra armour. They will still be protected by the normal armour belt. Bug is fixed for C#.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10127. msg109063#msg109063 date=1532446781
There is a bug in VB6 that means that turret armour uses more armour than it should, so may be more cost-effective to not add extra armour.  They will still be protected by the normal armour belt.  Bug is fixed for C#.
Very much looking forward to C#.   Thank you for all you do.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
Fighter beam fire controls get a free x4 speed tracking.  So you could get beam controls for fighters that match or exceed your own missile speed.