Author Topic: How to terraform?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline BlackWarder (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
How to terraform?
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »
How to terraform?

Ok so I got 30 Terraforming instalations on mars but the actual terraforming part doesn't work.

can someone help me with this?

Warder

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: How to terraform?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
In the F2 Population & Production screen there is a tab "Environmental"  It is on the far right above the Summary tab normally.  If you go there you will see a pull down menu with a bunch of different gasses.  choose the gas that you want to change, then input where you want it to end up.  If you are adding a gas to the planet also check the box to add gass.  Then hit the save button just to the left of the box.  If you are in SM mode, do not hit the SM Change button or this will change the gass setting on the planet to what you set it.  After that the terraforming should start.  There is a status line which shows the effective rate of terraforming that you will do with the current tech, and number of installations present.  Even with 30 installations it will take time to make a difference on the planet.  In your case is the habatability greater than 2.  If it is then start by pumping in the "Safe Greenhouse Gas" to you have about .2 atm.  Then pump in enough Oxygen to get to your minimum needed to breath.  After that you will probably need to put more greenhouse gas in to get the temprature up enough for a zero cost world.  You will need to make sure that you have the oxygen be no more than 30% of the atmosphere for it to be breathable.

Hope this helps you.

Brian

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
Same problem here. Are the terraforming installations automated or do they need people to operate them?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
Same problem here. Are the terraforming installations automated or do they need people to operate them?

You need to operate them per Brian's instructions above.  I assume (but am not sure) that there's a tutorial on this as well - you should look on the tutorials board.

John

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:45:53 PM »
I have 10 terraforming installations on Mars, but no population.

Picked Carbon Dioxide, checked the Add Gas to Atmosphere box, typed 0.1 in the Maximum Atm field and clicked on Save Atm.

Annual Production: 0 atm :(

EDIT: A-ha!
Terraforming Installation - Used to modify the atmosphere to a more hospitable type. Requires 250,000 population to operate. Base rate is .001 atm/year/installation, upgradeable via research.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
I have 10 terraforming installations on Mars, but no population.

Picked Carbon Dioxide, checked the Add Gas to Atmosphere box, typed 0.1 in the Maximum Atm field and clicked on Save Atm.

Annual Production: 0 atm :(

(on-the-ground) Terraformers are just like industry or mines: they require workers.  If you look at the Summary tab of the F2 screen, you should see something like -2.5million for "available workers" and a 0% manufacturing efficiency modifier.  This means that the terraformers are just sitting there without any workers to run them, and that it will take 2.5 million workers to run them all (since each one is the same cost as 5 factories, i.e. .25 million workers).

Note that this is one of the advantages of terraforming ships over ground installations - the ships don't require ground labor.

John

Offline BlackWarder (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
Thanks alot guys

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »
Here is a link to the Terraforming Tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1960

Steve

Offline Commodore_Areyar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • I will format your cruiser!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
A related question:

In the systemview screen and also in other areas where atmosphere is described, sometimes some components get a (F) behind them.
What does this signify?

F-luid would be strange, as water vapour certainly would be mentioned on Earth if this were so.
My best guess would be that it signifies it being toxic (at current concentration) or -less likely- it having a cooling effect (Freon/Frigid).

I just realized another meaning could be F-rozen, as I also see this (F) for nitrogen, but mainly at planets that are very cryogenic. Though, at -230C Nitrogen should be liquid IIRC. ;)
images of planets etc

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
Quote from: "Commodore_Areyar"
In the systemview screen and also in other areas where atmosphere is described, sometimes some components get a (F) behind them.
What does this signify?

It means Frozen.
(@)