Author Topic: How to build fighters?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline sandman662 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
How to build fighters?
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:41:13 AM »
Hello,

First time to post and let me start by saying that this is an incredibly impressive game.  Nice work Eric!

I am sure that this has been covered and I am sorry to be restarting a thread if it has already been covered, but I am stuck.  I have started 5 or 6 games and continue to learn the mechanics, but as of yet, I have not been able to build any fighters.  Are you able to build fighters from the start (in 2050) and I am just not figuring out how to build them, or are there techs (one or many) that I need to research before I can build them?

Looking at the tech tree, I can't see a logical progression towards being able to build a fighter, so I am afraid that I am just missing how to do it.

Thanks for any help.... and keep up the awesome work, Eric!

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: How to build fighters?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »
Three things.
One: The game is made by Steve, Erik just runs the forum.
Two: Fighters need the fighter engine technology, and those need gunboat engine tech.
Three: This is technically the wrong forum to ask this, this should be in The Acedemy, but you're new so don't worry.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:51:08 AM »
You need to research a number of techs to be able to build effective fighters.

The most important is the fighter-sized engine, followed by small and tiny versions of standard ship components like crew quarters, fuel storage, engineering spaces and fire control systems. Also, when designing such small spacecraft, you've to keep the mass beneath 1000 (or was it 500?) tons for the game to recognize them as fighters (and therefore make the design buildable by fighter factories as opposed to naval shipyards). Bridges are unnecessary for vessels under 1000 tons, so don't forget to remove them.

And by the way, Steve's Aurora's designer, as far as I know. :P

Offline sandman662 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »
Ok,

Sorry Steve  :oops: Very embarrassed!

Thank you for a quick answer.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Two things:

1)  I moved the thread to The Academy.  Ain't mystical powers wonderful? :-) ), while the "Fighter Questions" thread should answer the actual question you posted.

Have Fun!
John

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Quote from: "Aldaris"
Two: Fighters need the fighter engine technology, and those need gunboat engine tech.

Fighter engines are not dependent on gunboat engines being researched first.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:55 AM »
Quote from: "Aldaris"
One: The game is made by Steve, Erik just runs the forum.
I think 'just' runs the forum might be a little harsh on Erik :)

Although I have written the software, Erik has done a lot of work to create, maintain and moderate these forums. They are very well run and the discussions are always mature and well-mannered. Any sign of argument or flames is quickly dealt with by Erik. It's very much appreciated.

Steve