Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 143839 times)

Offline littleWolf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=8438. msg88119#msg88119 date=1458237721
Maybe look into SQLite.  No installation on the user system of a database system.  Plus you can programatically write the actual database.

Nice ! SQLite database make possible multiplayer - easy few clients to one world database, and simple sycronization algoritm:)

The following users thanked this post: Demonides

Offline Neceros

• Petty Officer
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 04:57:45 AM »
This looks amazing! I'm kinda jealous :D
-N

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 05:22:22 AM »
I would love to see pictures of some of these sample screens in a 1024x768 resolution, or thereabouts.  Do you have a laptop or other small screen that could run the C# code for us to check out?

I don't have a laptop but I could probably add some lines to show the resolution. At the moment, from the top of the tool bar to the the bottom of the sidebar is about 860 pixels. There will be a menu bar too, so probably about 900 high at the moment.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2016, 07:01:33 AM »
Another screenshot. This is the contacts sidebar tab on the Tactical Map. The top half allows you to filter contacts on the tactical map. I've replaced the existing filter dropdown for relationship status with individual check boxes for Hostile/Neutral/Friendly/Allied/Civilian. The other check boxes are similar to existing Aurora. The Spacetime Bubble only appears in the check box list when SM Mode is on.

The lower half displays all known contacts broken down by alien race and system. This can be filtered for the current system only. I'll create a larger and more customisable version of this section for the Intelligence window.

BTW there are two race dropdowns in the sidebar. The first is always present and replaces the existing default race selection from the (now defunct) menu bar. Essentially, this dropdown changes the race view for the whole application. The second race dropdown (below systems) only appears in SM mode and contains a list of other races with knowledge of the current system. For both race dropdowns, if you select a race and it has knowledge of the current system, that system will automatically be selected for viewing.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:25:32 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Kolyin

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
Two more screenshots. This is the Body Info tab of the sidebar, which shows details of any selected system body. It looks a lot cleaner than the original and now includes mineral deposits as well.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Kolyin

Offline rorror

• r
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 07:52:56 AM »
Looks really great! Keep up the great motivation!

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 08:22:05 AM »
By the way: Will C# Aurora start to handle save files and database as different files when it comes?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Ostia

• O
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
By the way: Will C# Aurora start to handle save files and database as different files when it comes?

Keep in mind that you have randomization and boat loads of user designed stuff.

So the best we can hope for imo is a split between Core DB which contains all the basic stuff (RP costs, etc.) and a player DB which contains the actual game data (Star Systems, Ships, Tech, etc.)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 10:30:40 AM »

Yes, because everything is held in memory the game will run without accessing the database (except at the start). My plan is that there will be a Save button and the game won't save unless you press it.

Some form of auto-save would be possible, where the game saves every time a specified amount of time passes.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
Wow, that is amazing. The possible speeds. It will be unstoppable. :D
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
Active Sensors and Weapon ranges are now functional on the tactical map display. I've decided to change the colours and use dashed lines so they stand out more vs. the planetary orbits.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:19 PM »
Oh that looks so good!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
The last set reminded me of the biggest problem I have with the display of aurora. Text tends to merge together at low zoom levels or when a lot of stuff is happening. Is it possible to make text detect if it will collide, and if so become an expandable menu kind of thing? I've noticed some things already partially have this on the maps.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
The last set reminded me of the biggest problem I have with the display of aurora. Text tends to merge together at low zoom levels or when a lot of stuff is happening. Is it possible to make text detect if it will collide, and if so become an expandable menu kind of thing? I've noticed some things already partially have this on the maps.

There is already some improvement in this area as fleets that are very close on the map will merge into one column of text. In VB6 Aurora the text of a fleet in orbit of the moon would interfere with those in orbit of Earth. In C# Aurora, they will move into a single column when you start to zoom out. The issue on the previous screenshots is for sensor text. I will take a look at this as well because I agree it is annoying.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
On that note, I'm doing an earth start w/ npr games, and there's literally too many sensor contacts to read since the list vanishes if you scroll too far up. Even with active contact grouping.  It would be handy if they could sort by tonnage, or you could set specific designs to ignore, or something.  :2cents: