Author Topic: The AI gave me tech?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Fistandantillus7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
The AI gave me tech?
« on: November 20, 2021, 12:56:53 AM »
"Information on Small Jump Point Stabilisation Module has been provided to us by Deepsuth Empire"

Um… Why?  ???

I saved and looked in the db, they like me +254. We have granted each other trade access. We each have a diplomatic ship in a neutral system 'talking' to each other. No other interactions. No ELINT module gathering intelligence.

My researchers did finished Jump Point Stabilisation Module 90 in the same tick. Coincidence or cause?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: The AI gave me tech?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 02:04:27 AM »
If you share a body with sufficiently large populations of both your empires on it you get tech levels whenever one empire finishes a research. You don't get the exact tech level that they finished, but two or three levels lower, based on relationship. So if they research 25cm lasers, you'll get 16cm ones, for instance.

My guess is your 90 day module gave them some jump stab module tech too, and this in turn triggered them giving you small jump stab modules, which may be listed as a "lower level tech" for the regular jump stab mods.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 09:16:20 AM »
My understanding is that ELINT and rescuing survivors are the only sources of Alien Race Intelligence Points, so it must be because of a research treaty (which is not a section of the rules I've ever had reason to explore before).

The initial diplomacy post has this:
Trade, Geological and Gravitational treaties all have a base influence of 100. A research treaty has a base influence of 200. A diplomatic status of friendly has a base influence of 100, while a diplomatic status of allied has a base influence of 200.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg118258#msg118258

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 06:48:10 PM »
Zapo is right. There is no need for a treaty if two populations share a planet then technology several levels below the best is automatically shared

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 06:24:21 AM »
I'm playing a game with two player races, which have neutral but overall positive relations (~500) and a trade agreement.

I just finished researching Microwave Focusing 5 with Race #1. 
Race#2 received Microwave Focusing Technology 1 from Race #1.

These two races do not have a research data agreement.  It shows as "Not Available" on both races. 

Is this an intended feature - ideas slowly spreading between friendly races via trade?  Or just a bug that should not have happened without research data sharing?

SJW: That is working as intended. Trade relations will result in the transfer of tech systems that are very low level compared to your current tech.

I found this note in the one of the bugs threads, but I can't find it documented elsewhere. Am I just blind or is it a hidden feature?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 02:49:31 AM »
It's not hidden per se, as it's always been around. Sharing a planet between colonies lead to technology bleed from higher-tech to lower-tech. I'm surprised if it isn't documented in the Wiki. Anyone who does multi-faction Earth starts knows this.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 02:57:57 PM »
Finally found it, it's mentioned in the very last sentence of the page on research.
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Research

The following users thanked this post: Fistandantillus7