Author Topic: v2.4.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: v2.4.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2023, 02:19:38 PM »
Thanks for the minor races!

In my solo campaigns where I control also alien races, my random generator has also minor races. It is a great addition for the solo campaigns vs CPU, at least for me.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2023, 02:40:11 PM »
Minor races are interesting because you could theoretically have them as a "vassal" state of sorts which you can completely control the expansion of through jump stabilization.

That could even be an interesting suggestion for extending diplomacy even. Though idk how you'd organize the tribute in that system.

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2023, 02:44:45 PM »
Obviously, Steve is planning a Star Trek AAR. :) I'm probably going to go with a Bab5 run once 2.4 comes out, assuming that the change with custom NPRs is also in 2.4.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2023, 03:11:45 PM »
Obviously, Steve is planning a Star Trek AAR. :) I'm probably going to go with a Bab5 run once 2.4 comes out, assuming that the change with custom NPRs is also in 2.4.

I think so! Would he go for the Federation? That is a peaceful exploration game in theory...With the minor races addition, he could go for the Vulcans and act as the Galaxy protector of new space races. Personally, would be great to go full Klingon and just have a total war setup, as I don't remember him doing anything like that ever.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2023, 03:30:20 PM »
I missed the minor races addition until I saw the comments in this thread. Very cool! The idea of having a bunch of starting player races and being able to generate minor NPRs is an excellent one for immersion!  ;D

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2023, 03:54:14 AM »
I really like the minor races addition, it will add a lot I think.

Offline Remon_Kewl

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2023, 06:45:04 AM »
It would be nice if there was an export feature for the player races, NPRs, and minor races.  Keep the naming themes, flags, ships, stations, ranks, etc.

Offline Ush213

• Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2023, 10:10:15 AM »
It would be nice if there was an export feature for the player races, NPRs, and minor races.  Keep the naming themes, flags, ships, stations, ranks, etc.

Ya would be cool. Could allow people to pre-build full universes for the different sci fi franchises. The ability to import your work for a new game or allow other player to include it in their games. A similar export would also be nice for the ground forces to. So much work goes into designing large organization it would be nice be able to import orgs you've done from older games on the same aurora version or adopt ones other players have done.

The following users thanked this post: Mayne

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2023, 02:25:06 AM »
Did anyone else miss the subtle halving of colony cost reduction tech? This is looking good.

The following users thanked this post: Mayne

Offline Mayne

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »
Did anyone else miss the subtle halving of colony cost reduction tech? This is looking good.

And "The colour of system bodies on the System View window takes account of any colonization cost reduction tech." I will actually research this tech-line now!

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2023, 07:21:47 PM »
What about writing a program to do the cross referencing for you?

It's not that straightforward, especially with many different data sources in different formats, covering different subsets of stars for different purposes, mostly with free text information and no APIs. Humans are still better in that situation than computers.

Otherwise, some very smart person would already have a master database of stars created for more scientific purposes than Aurora, and then I could have used that :)

Sounds like a very interesting problem. Maybe you could be that very smart person and turn your passion into a genuine advancement for astronomy

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2023, 07:26:20 PM »

Ya would be cool. Could allow people to pre-build full universes for the different sci fi franchises. The ability to import your work for a new game or allow other player to include it in their games. A similar export would also be nice for the ground forces to. So much work goes into designing large organization it would be nice be able to import orgs you've done from older games on the same aurora version or adopt ones other players have done.

This would be really cool. I built an entire replica of the (incredibly tiny) KSP Kerbol system and built a game around it. Would be cool to be able to expoet stuff like that. I don't mind doing it again but also making it easier to share would be nice. Although granted you can probably make a copy of your save before starting your campaign to share a certain custom starting system or something.

This makes me think of the issue of save compatability (or lack thereof), most of the sting of new releases breaking saves isn't restarting a campaign (I never get far enough usually to even meet an NPR), it tends to be rebuilding your starting empire and starting system if you made one.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2023, 09:31:12 AM »
Can't wait the tiny cargo bay for the shuttles  :P :P

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2023, 04:05:54 PM »
So the change to Known Stars (from 4,400 to over 63,000 known systems) had me wondering what the distribution of systems looks like now. Mainly I was wondering how it might affect the rate of coming across starting NPRs in a given min-max range. So I made a graph because of course I did.

Basically, nearly all of the new systems are beyond 100 LY, so as long as your maximum starting NPR distance is under 100 LY there will be basically no change in the rate of discovering the starting NPRs (it might be slightly lower but not very noticeably so). In case anyone was worried...

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, BAGrimm

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2023, 05:05:35 PM »
So is 2.4.1 actually 2.5 now? The addition of the shuttle sized cargo bay sounds like a DB change.