Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 69651 times)

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2011, 03:23:12 AM »
Steve,

As with other people I have just received the following pop-up error

Error in cmdDelete_Click

Error 3420 was generated by DAO recordset
Object invalid or no longer set.

I was trying to abandon a moon which had been visited by a Geology team and received the error  . The main problem is that once this pop-up error appears it locks the game screens and the only way around was to exit the game.

DavidR

PS  - Worked out why the error occurred - was trying to abandon a moon but had assigned a planetary governor to the moon. Had to re-assign the governor and could then abandon the moon without the error.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:35:05 AM by davidr »

Offline Felius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2011, 06:32:30 AM »
Had the game all but freeze when tried to pass the time, managed to do a 5 seconds turn in about 5 minutes real time, but got the following error:
Error in CycleOrders
Error 3421 was generated by DAO.  Field
Data type conversion error. 

Edit: Correction.  I got stuck in this error message, that is, as soon as I close the error box another opens. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:35:02 AM by Felius »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
Administrators and Scientists appear to be invisible on both the "Officers stationed at this Colony" panel of the Teams/Academy tab of the F2 screen, and in the Pickup Commander panel of the TG orders (F12) screen.

I've got an exhausted mining colony and I'm trying to evacuate the administrator.  Even in SM mode I can't change the planet she's on.  The only way to move here (besides assigning then de-assigning her at earth) appears to be to go to the F4 screen and move her to a ship in orbit.  Even then, I have to go through all the other administrators to make sure none of them are hanging out on the planet.  (AHA!!  That last bit is not quite correct - I can filter by location in the search function in the RHS of the F4 screen.)

In any event, when I try to give my TG orders to pick up commanders, they don't see anyone there to pick up, even if I've unassigned her from the governor's slot.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2011, 12:49:22 PM »
Passive contacts are disappearing in the F3 screen when I change the zoom level.

I have to switch away from the system and then back in to get them to reappear.

John

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
Passive contacts are disappearing in the F3 screen when I change the zoom level.

I have to switch away from the system and then back in to get them to reappear.

John

This has been around for a while and I still haven't tracked it down. Pressing the refresh button on the System Map toolbar should also get them to re-appear though.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »
Administrators and Scientists appear to be invisible on both the "Officers stationed at this Colony" panel of the Teams/Academy tab of the F2 screen, and in the Pickup Commander panel of the TG orders (F12) screen.

I've got an exhausted mining colony and I'm trying to evacuate the administrator.  Even in SM mode I can't change the planet she's on.  The only way to move here (besides assigning then de-assigning her at earth) appears to be to go to the F4 screen and move her to a ship in orbit.  Even then, I have to go through all the other administrators to make sure none of them are hanging out on the planet.  (AHA!!  That last bit is not quite correct - I can filter by location in the search function in the RHS of the F4 screen.)

In any event, when I try to give my TG orders to pick up commanders, they don't see anyone there to pick up, even if I've unassigned her from the governor's slot.

John
At the top center of the screen, there is a check box for Available for Pickup. Check that.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »

At the top center of the screen, there is a check box for Available for Pickup. Check that.
Oh yeah - I remember that one!!  And now I notice that unassigned military officers don't show up on the "Officers Stationed at this Colony" tab either.

Perhaps this should change into a suggestion that unassigned leaders default to being available for pickup, and/or show up in a separate category in the "Officers Stationed..." panel, and/or can be moved to different planets by hand when in SM mode using the F4 screen.

John

PS - Mea culpa on the "probably working-as-intended" - oops!

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2011, 10:24:27 PM »
Hey, Steve, I sent you an email a while back with a link to a db for my game which is exhibiting a couple of chronic problems still around in 5.42 that I think you have problems reproducing. Did you get it?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »
I'm beginning to suspect that there's a bug involving fuel consumption when a ship is being towed.  I suspect that the fuel consumption rate is calculated as proportional to (ActualTGSpeed/MaxShipSpeed), rather than (ActualTGSpeed/MaxTGWithoutNebulaEffects)  (I threw the nebula part in there based on others' reports).

[EDIT]
I just realized the above formula is wrong - "MaxTGWithoutNebulaEffects" should be "MaxTowComplexSpeedWithoutNebulaEffects", by which I mean the maximum speed of all the ships linked by tractor to the ship whose fuel consumption is being calculated.
[/EDIT]

I've got jump-gate construction ships which don't have many engines - max speed is 847 km/s with 381 days of fuel.  Twice now, I've gotten a "low fuel" message while one of these is being towed by a powerful tug - the TG speed is 2392 (or roughly 3x).  The first time I thought it was an oversight, but this time I'm 90% I checked that fuel was 100% before the journey started.  One definite piece of evidence that something's wrong - my first "low fuel" message says the ship's at 6.8%, which means it burned at least 3.2% in a single 5-day.  Given a ship with 381 days of fuel is ~76 5-days, which means that it should burn 1.4% fuel at most in a single 5-day (and I'm using 1-day increments, so the 5-day wasn't 10 days long).

It occurs to me that the tug is probably also burning fuel too slowly if I'm correct about what's going on....

John
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:47:24 PM by sloanjh »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
I just got a divide-by-zero error in "IndustrialProduction" (not the exact string).  It looks like Earth ran out of fuel - I got Fuel Shortage events for automated mines (which I am building) and the 4 missile types that I'm building.  Note that I'm also building construction factories and fuel factories (heh :) ) - neither of them gave an error.  Most of this makes sense, except the error in automine production.

John

PS - The reason Earth ran out of fuel was that I had a bunch of new ship builds (4 carriers) come on line that sucked the fuel dry.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
This is still an issue.

Mars' requested PPV is 175. The displayed actual PPV is 246. The total PPV in system without the fleet HQ PR officer's bonus is 174. Mars unrest from insufficient military protection increased by 0.002%.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »
Moving a shipyard to a body without a colony does not create a colony and the shipyard disappears.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »
Giving the "Land on assigned Mothership" order from the F12 screen to a mixed TG (contained ships assigned a mothership and ships not assigned a mothership) results in disintegration of the ships that don't have a mothership.

I had a couple of scout corvettes in the same TG as a carrier wing.  When I gave the TG orders to land, the corvettes disappeared.  I backed up my DB just before doing this ('cuz I suspected this might happen), so I'm good as far as recovering from the problem goes....

John

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2011, 07:00:38 AM »
I'm getting "Error in ApplyInternalDamage", with the text "Error 3265 was generated by DAO.fields, Item not found in this collection."  It's occurring every month or two, not at regular intervals, but it's quite frequent.

(edit: I should probably have mentioned that I'm not getting it in conjunction with any combat I'm doing, there's something going on out in the stars of which I'm not aware)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:56 AM »
Quote from: sloanjh
Perhaps this should change into a suggestion that unassigned leaders default to being available for pickup

That is how it used to be, and the necessity of scrolling through 400 officers on the homeworld (which is where the majority of 'load officer' events occur) to find the one you wanted is what led to the 'set for pickup' option.