Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 68625 times)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:39 PM »
Should I post my database for help with the Overflow?

Go ahead and host it somewhere if you can, Steve is busier than normal recently but there are a few of us who could possibly get a look and attempt to debug it.

Offline Deoxy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
"not been given any assignments"?!?
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
Ok, I suspected this for a while, but there are definitely cases where officers are "released from service" as "surplus to requirements" when they most certainly HAVE been given assignments recently.

Just a moment ago, I reassigned my Fleet Headquarters commander, since an officer had been promoted that had a higher Crew Training score.  The very next turn, the guy who was just relieved (and had been the fleet commander for a while) was released as not having had an assignment in 12.4 years.

So, basically, is any officer in danger of being "released" if he isn't CURRENTLY assigned?  Or are only certain things (staff? teams?) not counted as "assignments" for job history purposes?  Either way, it's clearly a bug.

Offline seinwave

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
Quote from: Beersatron link=topic=3348. msg33680#msg33680 date=1302668979
Go ahead and host it somewhere if you can, Steve is busier than normal recently but there are a few of us who could possibly get a look and attempt to debug it.

K, here it is.  I noticed that every time I play it it grows by ~500 kB, even when it's failing on that one turn.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5080725/Stevefire.mdb

*edit* fixed url
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:37:36 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »
The Design Errors box doesn't warn you when a cloaking device is too small for the current design.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2011, 01:13:24 AM »
Mistakenly changing design alters ship

I don't have the original ship with which to compare, because it got changed.  I had a lovely colony ship-- the Ark.  Its my jumpcapable ship that ferries smaller colony ships to distant startup worlds.  What happened is i opened the design window.  The Ark was the default ship displayed.  Locked, and had ships in service.  Accidentally changed it to a PDC because, well, I wanted to design a PDC.

The popup telling me things would be changed appeared, and phfoosh.  Turned it back to a ship and this is what the existing ark, in service, turned into:

Code: [Select]
Ark class Colony Ship 350 tons     479 Crew     74.5 BP      TCS 7  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 0%    IFR: 0%    Maintenance Capacity 0 MSP

Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 0.0 billion km   (0 days at full power)

This ship is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

gone

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:34 AM »

I don't have the original ship with which to compare, because it got changed.  I had a lovely colony ship-- the Ark.  Its my jumpcapable ship that ferries smaller colony ships to distant startup worlds.  What happened is i opened the design window.  The Ark was the default ship displayed.  Locked, and had ships in service.  Accidentally changed it to a PDC because, well, I wanted to design a PDC.

The popup telling me things would be changed appeared, and phfoosh.  Turned it back to a ship and this is what the existing ark, in service, turned into:

Code: [Select]
Ark class Colony Ship 350 tons     479 Crew     74.5 BP      TCS 7  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 0%    IFR: 0%    Maintenance Capacity 0 MSP

Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 0.0 billion km   (0 days at full power)

This ship is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

gone
This is known behavior. Not sure if Steve classes this as a bug though.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2011, 03:36:32 AM »
If you fire missiles at a way point and remove the way point the same increment that the missiles are fired the missiles will head to the center of the system.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »
If you fire missiles at a way point and remove the way point the same increment that the missiles are fired the missiles will head to the center of the system.

Personally, when I do things like this (and I do), I call it a "stupid user trick" or "learning opportunity".  :-[
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
Personally, when I do things like this (and I do), I call it a "stupid user trick" or "learning opportunity".  :-[

I agree, but a quick search through the 5.0+ bug threads didn't bring it up so I figured I would report it.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
I agree, but a quick search through the 5.0+ bug threads didn't bring it up so I figured I would report it.
It's generally a really bad idea to remove waypoints that are in use.  IIRC, removing a waypoint that's a target of a ship's movement orders results in REALLY nasty behavior (like missing record errors) - don't remember what it is, since I put it into the "don't do that" category :)

John

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
The center of every system is co-ordinate [0,0].  Erasing the target waypoint 'erased' the missiles target - which in computer speak set it to zero.  Hence, missiles head for center of system.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

gone

Congratulations!  You found a loophole in the 'user protection scheme'.  You're not supposed to be able to change a Locked design in this way, but it sounds like the 'Ship/PDC/Fighter' dropdown isn't properly locking when a design is 'Locked'.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
It's generally a really bad idea to remove waypoints that are in use.  IIRC, removing a waypoint that's a target of a ship's movement orders results in REALLY nasty behavior (like missing record errors) - don't remember what it is, since I put it into the "don't do that" category :)

John

But you have to remove the way point for the missiles to attack targets they see with their sensors.

The center of every system is co-ordinate [0,0].  Erasing the target waypoint 'erased' the missiles target - which in computer speak set it to zero.  Hence, missiles head for center of system.

Actually it seems to be missiles are fired and then the next turn / sub pulse they are given a target so I was removing the target before they had been assigned to it.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
But you have to remove the way point for the missiles to attack targets they see with their sensors.
It seems like this this, not the result of doing this too early, is the actual bug here.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
It seems like this this, not the result of doing this too early, is the actual bug here.

That is up to Steve to decide.  As it is now neither is really a bug just a lack of user safety or ease of use.