Author Topic: The Adventures and Woes of Rath's Aurora Learning Experience  (Read 7883 times)

Offline Rathos (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Alright, I hate that my first post is going to probably be a stupid one, but I need a bit o' help...

I'm trying to assign a gov'ner to my planets you see. Now, I know who I want to put in charge, but there is a little problem of execution. I've tried clicking them then assign...yes. I've tried just about everything I can think of from drag and dropping to clicking a million times on assign in a futile attempt to get the man in place. I've even gotten so desperate that i've tried ALL of the people I got on my list. Not luck at all, can't get it to go.

I hate to be daft, but could some kind soul explain EXACTLY what the process is to assign them? It'd be nice if you include pictures cause apparently I'm to stupid to figure it out...though I swear I've tried every single combination possible...well obviously not since I haven't figured it out. An hours worth of trying then.

Cheers...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:11:51 PM by Rathos »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Assigning A Govener To A Planet Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:14:14 AM »
Quote from: "Rathos"
Alright, I hate that my first post is going to probably be a stupid one, but I need a bit o' help...

I'm trying to assign a gov'ner to my planets you see. Now, I know who I want to put in charge, but there is a little problem of execution. I've tried clicking them then assign...yes. I've tried just about everything I can think of from drag and dropping to clicking a million times on assign in a futile attempt to get the man in place. I've even gotten so desperate that i've tried ALL of the people I got on my list. Not luck at all, can't get it to go.

I hate to be daft, but could some kind soul explain EXACTLY what the process is to assign them? It'd be nice if you include pictures cause apparently I'm to stupid to figure it out...though I swear I've tried every single combination possible...well obviously not since I haven't figured it out. An hours worth of trying then.

Cheers...

I'll take this from the start:
1.  Hit F4 to open the officers window;
2.  Select Civilian Administrators in the Leader Type selection area in the upper left hand corner of the display.  
3.  A list of civilian leaders will appear in the box below, ranked from highest to lowest.
4.  Next to the leaders will be a list of eligible commands (directly to the right of the leaders).  Unoocuppied commands will be grey, occuppied commands will be white.  
5.  Select the leader you want to assign to a command by clicking on them (left click);
6.  Select the command you want to assign the leader to by left clicking on it;
7.  Click the "assign" button in the lower left hand corner of the screen.
8.  If the officer doesn't have enough rank to occupy the command slot then Aurora will generate a popup box to tell you so, otherwise the leader will be assigned to the command you selected.  
9.  Both the leader and the command should now be displayed with a white background to indicate they are assigned.  

Try not to get too frustrated.  Some things in aurora are a little difficult to figure out, and almost everyone here, with the exception of Steve, has had to go through something like this at one time or another.  

Kurt

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
Thanks! That definitely worked, however I SWEAR I tried that first, third, fourth, sixth, and a tenth time. I guess it just didn't want to work until someone held my hand and walked me through it...

Sadly I have a new problem now! All the sudden my turns are limited to about 60 seconds. I didn't know what was going on but when I turned on SM and looked in the events it was spamming "Sub-pulse length adjusted due to potential fleet interception" and "Increment Adjust due to potential missile interception" as well as "Increment Adjusted due to ship being in firing range." All that has me pretty stumped however, because I don't see any enemy ships and, indeed no one seems to be shooting them at all. I've managed to get 5 days to pass, but it took forever and I had just gotten my game to work pretty well. I don't know how to fix it, but I rather just delete everyone else and continue playing because it took me forever to get things running smoothly and to build my first ships and mining colonies.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Thanks! That definitely worked, however I SWEAR I tried that first, third, fourth, sixth, and a tenth time. I guess it just didn't want to work until someone held my hand and walked me through it...

Sadly I have a new problem now! All the sudden my turns are limited to about 60 seconds. I didn't know what was going on but when I turned on SM and looked in the events it was spamming "Sub-pulse length adjusted due to potential fleet interception" and "Increment Adjust due to potential missile interception" as well as "Increment Adjusted due to ship being in firing range." All that has me pretty stumped however, because I don't see any enemy ships and, indeed no one seems to be shooting them at all. I've managed to get 5 days to pass, but it took forever and I had just gotten my game to work pretty well. I don't know how to fix it, but I rather just delete everyone else and continue playing because it took me forever to get things running smoothly and to build my first ships and mining colonies.

This probably means that 2 NPR's are having a battle.  It will take a while for it to fight through the action, but after the battle you should go back to more normal time jumps.  Unfortunately for all of us the npr's have to fight thier battles out the same way we do which does cause a significant slowing for us as well.

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »
I've managed to get 5 days to pass, but it took forever and I had just gotten my game to work pretty well.

A few things:

1)  Do you have the automated turns button (in the upper right corner of the System Map (F3) screen) checked, and are you using the buttons on F3 (rather than F2) to advance time?  If not, you should - then Aurora will just keep going when it stops for NPR.

2)  You should read Steve's post at the top of the Bugs forum (something like "Read first before posting bugs") - this particular question is explicitly called out, and a link to a post about it is there.

3)  Have you found the tutorial thread?

4)  Once you're more familiar with the game, you might try looking at recent threads in Mechanics if you want to know how something works.  This is where Steve releases his explanations of major changes to the game.

Have fun!

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
I've managed to get 5 days to pass, but it took forever and I had just gotten my game to work pretty well.

A few things:

1)  Do you have the automated turns button (in the upper right corner of the System Map (F3) screen) checked, and are you using the buttons on F3 (rather than F2) to advance time?  If not, you should - then Aurora will just keep going when it stops for NPR.

Thanks! I didn't know that...I was having to click the turn button for every increment. I've let it run automatic for a while and it did stop, but then it came back, and left again. I guess they are really going at it. Its just frustrating cause the first 12 years went by really fast each time I went through a 30 day turn.

In those 12 years I've managed to build eight ships. It is taking me a long time to build them because I have a thing for gianormous ships (Right now I'm working on 3 Gravitational survey ships with jump engines....that weigh 75 thousand tons!) I've started to send population to my first habital colony, which is one system away. My jump colonizers are taking population there 2 at a time while my 4 jump freighters are moving automated mines and mass drivers to mining colonies. One of the rocks in the new system has 28 million sorium at .4 and 4 million duranium at .5! I've been having problems with both of them so far, those jump engines take a lot of sorium!

My small grav and geo survey ships keep running out of fuel and I have to manually take out a freighter to fill them up. Hopefully when the new class gets done they will be able to last longer (They can go 1868 days it said without refueling) at 400 km/s which I realize is slow...but I hope as I get better technology I can build faster ones. I really love the game, it gives you just enough information to know what is going on but leaves enough to let you imagine the giant mile long ships as they ponder through space to get where they are going. I was thinking of maybe making a second empire (Rebels or something) and having them compete with the main empire. I'm not sure though if I can manage both impartially. I can just see the rebels trying to steal one of the giant slow jump freighters though =D

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
Dang dude!!  That's one honking big survey ship.  Just to put it in perspective, in my last couple of games my survey ships have been ~750 tons, with one survey sensor, one engine or ~1kton with one survey sensor and two engines (once my armor is high enough - which reminds me: I need to go design a "Beagle II" geosurvey with 2 engines now that I've got better armor).

For the first couple of years (when I played TN starts), my warp survey ships would be jump cruisers of 6kton; geo survey would be conventional and ~3ktons.  Once I started playing conventional starts, however (where it's hard to build so big early on), I realized that the smaller ships are a lot more efficient.

You might want to take a look in the Bureau of Ship Design form at other peoples designs - the authors also usually post their designs as part of the stories.

Sounds like you're really getting into the role-playing aspect of the game which is great.  One caution, though: it's generally better (more efficient) to build a special-purpose jump ship and sit it on the WP (or build a jump gate), rather than putting jump drives in all your shipping.  But it sounds like you're doing it for the role playing aspects, rather than efficiency, so go to town :-)

Have fun!!

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »
Alright, I've continued on my way, however I found something I need help with. My 2nd planet is now experiencing unrest because it doesn't have any troops on it. I built a troop transport (It is large like all my other ships and can carry 5 battalions it says as well as jump capable) but now, when I try to load up some men into it they don't seem to want to go. In the fleet orders box I found the order and it shows a list of all the companies, but when I double click them nothing happens. I also went to the indiviudal ship and tried there but no ground units appeared in the place they are supposed to be, even after telling the ship to move to the planet. Am I doomed to have my colony revolt because of lack of troop transporation?  :(

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »
Alright, I've continued on my way, however I found something I need help with. My 2nd planet is now experiencing unrest because it doesn't have any troops on it. I built a troop transport (It is large like all my other ships and can carry 5 battalions it says as well as jump capable) but now, when I try to load up some men into it they don't seem to want to go. In the fleet orders box I found the order and it shows a list of all the companies, but when I double click them nothing happens. I also went to the indiviudal ship and tried there but no ground units appeared in the place they are supposed to be, even after telling the ship to move to the planet. Am I doomed to have my colony revolt because of lack of troop transporation?  :-)  (I made that mistake with the first Troop Transport I designed with the new rules.)  The first one speeds up load times by ~5x.  So the way to load troops on the transport is to give the TG a "(un)load troops" order.

2)  The reason your planet is suffering unrest is probably not because you don't have troops, but because it doesn't have infrastructure to support the population.  You can check this by looking at the summary tab on the F2 screen - it has a "supported population" field, which is how many people you have infrastructure for.  I just made a longer post about this within the last week or two - it's probably in this forum (I would recommend reading the last week or two's worth of backthreads in this form - it will probably save you from the next few standard goofs) - if not, you should be able to search for "infrastructure" and find a thread about these things with decent information.

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
I apparently got the troops to go to the planet without using a transport. I went to the population and production screen then the ground units and then selected all population view, then clicked on the battalion and hit assign and they were there... It didn't stop the unrest though now every time unrest showed up in events it said the troops quelled it. So I decided maybe it meant they wanted a navy warship for protection so I designed a small corvette ship and fast OBed one into existence. What do you know, they stopped complaining about militia! My poor troop transport is still sitting at the home world though trying to figure out how to load troops. I did put a cargo handler on it when I saw that it had a load time. It won't even try to load any troops is the problem, when I click on the unit in the list no new order is added and if I try to click on the order in the middle box it just says select the unit I want to load...even though I already did! I'm not sure whats going on there but hopefully I figure it out. My 2nd planet doesn't need infrastructure cause it is perfectly habitable right from the get go. Although the atmosphere is just barely breathable (just barely enough oxygen) it is breatheable, and I think that is all it counts, and the temperature is nice at 22c.

PS. I figured out why I couldn't load the troops. You have to hit the add move button after selecting everything. I've just been double clicking the order.

EDIT:

The numbers are in! It took 18 years to build them, the four mighty survey ships.

Code: [Select]
Star Explorer Emperor Class class Survey Cruiser    75000 tons     6129 Crew     69085 BP      TCS 1500  TH 600  EM 0
400 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 5-158     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/10/10     Damage Control Rating 200     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 225%    IFR: 3.1%    Maintenance Capacity 145142 MSP    Max Repair 62500 MSP
Flag Bridge    
Fuel Harvester: 2 modules producing 56000 litres per annum

J75000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 75000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Nuclear Thermal Engine E8 (24)    Power 25    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 25    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 1,900,000 Litres    Range 57.0 billion km   (1649 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor S20-R2 (1)     GPS 40     Range 400k km    Resolution 2
Gravitational Survey Sensors (10)   10 Survey Points
Geological Survey Sensors (10)   10 Survey Points

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

They managed to survey an entire system, in a bit over a year. It only took 500 thousand litres of fuel. Each. Good news is I found a big gas giant with a lot of fuel in it. I've also been tooling up my industry trying to get more mines and things. My second system with my new colony has finally got at least one automated mine and mass driver on everything with minerals on it shooting the stuff to the colony. It looks really cool when you turn on mass driver packets. I'm kinda afraid they are going to miscalculate and slam the mass driver stuff into the planet...I don't know how much damage it could do, I'd think a lot at 1000-10000 km/s.

My orginal system isn't doing as well since it has soooo many different things in it and most of them don't have much. Still I want to get at least one automated mine on each thing and packet it off to home. I've abandoned my hopes of terraforming for now instead to concentrate on mining. I've researched enough to almost double my mines mining capacity, but i'm still tapped for resources. You know those giant ships took 50 thousand sorium each for just the engine alone? I hate to say this...but I gave in and SMed me enough sorium to make them =( I don't think I'll be building any more of them soon. Instead I think I have a good idea to make one giant ship that can carry a bunch of tiny survey ships. The old ones will keep going and working though, they are a monument to my people. Plus can't waste 18 years of construction of them.

I know it would probably be a good idea to invest in jump gates, but I've deicded not to build any at all. All ships will be jump capable or be carried by a mothership. Maybe some non-jump civilian ships will show up. Which, by the way how do you get civilians to show up? I see a list for civilian shipping lines but they are all empty. I would think they would start up by now since I have two inhabited planets and a bunch of mining ones.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
That is an amazingly huge survey ship, especially with only nuclear thermal engines. It's about 20x larger than the grav survey ship I have just designed in my current campaign (I'll include the design below for reference). Designing and building it should have taught you a lot about the mechanics of ship design. It's worth checking out the Ship Design forum as well to give yourself some ideas for future designs

Draco class Gravitational Survey Vessel    3750 tons     358 Crew     677.6 BP      TCS 75  TH 300  EM 0
4000 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 1-21     Shields 0-0     Sensors 12/12/2/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 37%    IFR: 0.5%    Maintenance Capacity 339 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP

Apollo XV Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 3750 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Neptune-60 Ion Engine (5)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 460,000 Litres    Range 276.0 billion km   (798 days at full power)

SPS-II Active Search Sensor (1)     GPS 6300     Range 63.0m km    Resolution 100
SQR-IX Thermal Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
SLR-VII EM Detection Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour
Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
PS. I figured out why I couldn't load the troops. You have to hit the add move button after selecting everything. I've just been double clicking the order.
Yep.  I realized from your post that the convience of double-clicking can fool new users into not understanding that it's a shortcut for "add move".
You know those giant ships took 50 thousand sorium each for just the engine alone?
LOL
The old ones will keep going and working though, they are a monument to my people. Plus can't waste 18 years of construction of them.
Hmmmm - sounds like a government project :-)
All ships will be jump capable or be carried by a mothership. Maybe some non-jump civilian ships will show up.
Ummm, you do know that jump ships can escort other ships of equal or lower mass through a WP, right?  The only reason I can think of to use motherships (other than role playing) is if the parasites are less fuel efficient, typically because they have gunboat or fighter engines.
Which, by the way how do you get civilians to show up? I see a list for civilian shipping lines but they are all empty. I would think they would start up by now since I have two inhabited planets and a bunch of mining ones.
It's possible that generating the first line is bugged - I've seen a lot of reports in 4.77 and 4.8 of people waiting a long time for one to show up.  On the other hand, Steve said the probability is one every several (~7 IIRC) years, so you might just need to wait longer.  In any event, there's a SM-only button on the civie page (the one with all the shipping lines) that you can use to force a line to be created.

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
So I've been surveying a lot so far, as well as working on my mining. I've found some pretty rich looking planets so far. Since this is my first game I was wondering if finding these is the norm or if I just got really lucky. Both systems are connected to my second system (My home system only has one Jump point to Washington and then Washington has 5 connected to it)

Rocky Planets: 3   Surveyed: 3
Gas Giants: 1   Surveyed: 1
Moons: 16   Surveyed: 16
Asteroids: 10   Surveyed: 10

Chicago-A I
Duranium 242,880,800  Acc: 0.1
Neutronium 5,382,400  Acc: 0.1
Corbomite 91,584,900  Acc: 0.1
Tritanium 127,916,100  Acc: 0.6
Boronide 24,304,900  Acc: 0.1
Mercassium 50,481,020  Acc: 0.1
Vendarite 6,076,225  Acc: 0.1
Sorium 4,120,900  Acc: 0.1
Uridium 52,562,500  Acc: 0.1
Corundium 162,817,600  Acc: 0.1
Gallicite 108,993,600  Acc: 0.1

Chicago-A III
Duranium 10,082  Acc: 0.1
Tritanium 8,473,921  Acc: 0.7
Mercassium 20,164  Acc: 0.1
Sorium 46,457,860  Acc: 0.1
Uridium 1,290,496  Acc: 0.8
Corundium 1,134,225  Acc: 0.9
Gallicite 9,759,376  Acc: 0.1

Rocky Planets: 6   Surveyed: 6
Gas Giants: 1   Surveyed: 0
Moons: 42   Surveyed: 7
Asteroids: 0   Surveyed: 0

San Francisco-A I
Duranium 691,488  Acc: 0.1
Corbomite 1,587,600  Acc: 0.1
Mercassium 451,584  Acc: 0.1
Uridium 26,255,380  Acc: 0.1
Corundium 70,560,000  Acc: 0.1
Gallicite 63,504  Acc: 0.1

San Francisco-A II
Duranium 1,051,250  Acc: 0.1
Corbomite 86,118,400  Acc: 0.1
Boronide 16,483,600  Acc: 0.1
Vendarite 12,110,400  Acc: 0.1
Sorium 94,381,220  Acc: 0.1
Corundium 4,120,900  Acc: 0.1

At least it looks like I won't run out of minerals nearby. Those two NPRs annoy me the heck though. That is why i'm here so much posting, I do it when they start jabbing each other and making it take forever. I'm kind of hoping I might find them so I can go in and blow them up...though I'd probably die if I did since I haven't researched any military technology yet. Maybe my 10cm laser unrest quelling corvette could do some good...not.

I looked for the create shipping line button in SM but couldn't find it. I looked on the civ creen in population and production and the Ctrl-L one. I don't really mind not having them that much, although it would probably be neat. Probably shouldn't let any civies get control of my government controlled shipping anyway =P They might *gasp* introduce efficiency!

I know that I don't need a jump drive for every ship, but I just feel that each one should have it. Also I don't like the idea of jump gates. I'm not sure how hyper-drive works, and I haven't messed with it at all. I've stopped construction of any more ships and my shipyards and have begun to put everything into making more mines. I'm really feeling the pinch on resource generation since I've been upgrading my industry. As it is my jump freighters are ferrying the automated mines out as fast as they can make them.

I've also had this idea to design a giant super ark transport ship. I was thinking it would be so big it could carry grav and geo survery ships, enough fuel to go forever, and cargo bays to carry enough infrastructure and population/mines etc to build a small colony if needed to resupply itself, then pick it all back up and continue exploring. I'm not sure how feasible that would be but I think I'm going to make that an important long term goal. I looked at the biggest jump-drive possible, but it said it could only warp a 150 thousand ton ship tops. I'm afraid that won't be enough if this ship gets as big as I think it might be...

You might think I'm crazy for even thinking of attempting something like that, but I've played dwarf fortress for a long time, and I've found that one of the things that makes things so fun it so set yourself huge goals to try to work towards. And I can't get the idea that my poor empire is plagued by bureaucrats and red tape. I think eventually I'll try and make another empire and give it a single troop transport full of troops and have them "rebel" and take over a planet owned by the main empire. Or maybe if the ark ship gets done, it will do that. Oh...Thats a good idea the ark ship should have several battalions of soldiers on it.

I've read all the tutorials on the wiki and I followed them on a newbie game. When they ran out though I started a new game with different settings and started from scratch. Alright back to trying to watching the mass driver packets...and plotting ways to make things more inefficient =P

PS: By surveying a lot I mean I've been in 6 systems so far with three fully mapped.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »
A few comments:

1)  Sorry to break it to you, but I didn't see any planets in your list that looked all that great.  The problem is the accessibility = 0.1 - that means that a mine only produces 10% of what it would on a 1.0 planet.  This is turn means you've got to build 10x as many mines to get the same mining rate as you would on a 1.0 planet.  I've posted about mining strategy several times - if you search for "acessibility" and "duranium" and "neutronium" in my posts you'll probably find some of them - or you can just look through some of the other forums for threads asking about mining - I'm sure they're there....  Also, if you saw a post from me go by in the last day or two about efficiencies being central to Aurora, this is another example of that principle - you really want to look for good duranium-accessibility planets.

2)  Don't apologize about how you play the game - as Steve has said, one of the intents behind Aurora is to give people a vehicle to write fiction around.  It seems like you like the role playing, which is intimately related to that.  You might read the intro from Kurt's most recent campaign to read about a civil war (which I don't think he gamed out in Aurora, but I could be wrong).

3)  If you hit ctrl-l (I found this by looking in the "Empires" pulldown in the main menu bar) while in SM mode, you should see 4 buttons in the upper right corner of the "Shipping Lines" screen that opens up.  The left-most "Add Line" creates a new line, the next one "Subsidize" gives it wealth from your empire.  While I'm here, the "Clear Orders" button is a bug workaround in case it looks like your lines are getting "stuck" with orders to go to a planet that they're already at - I don't think it's been necessary for the last few releases (it clears the orders of the highlighted ship, IIRC).

4)  Trying it out is the best way to learn.  It sounds like you're doing the right thing, where you try to do something, get stuck, search in the forums for an explanation about what you're trying to do, then ask about it.  As people have pointed out, there's a huge amount of tribal knowledge to absorb.

Have fun!
John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
Re: The Adventures and Woes of Rath's Aurora Learning Experience
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 04:32:06 AM »
The reason the Create shipline button didn't show up was because I was using version 4.77. I've updated now, and lost my game. =(

That said, I've started over and since I really liked how things were going I used Shipmaster to put me in about the same position I was at. I didn't start in Sol this time though, choosing a automatically created system instead. Is there a way to make everything in the system yourself? That would be neat. I used All minerals then HWed the minerals on the two planets I choose to make habitable. Then rose my technology to around where it was before. I think I might of gave myself some extra weapons or defenses though, I'm not sure where they were at. I didn't go past the 2nd level in anything in those though.

I also changed the way the universe is generated, I'm hoping it will be more latticed now, with long stringy lines between clusters. We'll see how that turns out. I just don't like having 4-5 jump holes in every single system, that just becomes a nightmare I would think. I lowered the chances of a NPR to 10% also, hoping that I won't get those angry NPRs fighting each other this time. I am already planning on building at least one emperor class survey ship =)

We'll see how things go out from here, hopefully I'll find some good mining places nearby.

Edit:

Well I got everything setup and it was looking mighty fine. Then I started to play. Error in NPRPopPlanning. Error in NPRPopPlanning. Every 5 days. Looks like I have to start a new game and do it all over...Sigh...

Edit2:

Inqusitive class Mothership    9370100 tons     257755 Crew     1136080.22 BP      TCS 187402  TH 176000  EM 30000
939 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 100-3959     Shields 1000-300     Sensors 30/30/10/10     Damage Control Rating 5000     PPV 203
Annual Failure Rate: 175595%    IFR: 2438.8%    Maintenance Capacity 4003116 MSP    Max Repair 250000 MSP
Flag Bridge    Magazine 154    Cargo 500000    Colonists 100000    Passengers 2500    Cargo Handling Multiplier 50    Tractor Beam    
Fuel Harvester: 170 modules producing 10200000 litres per annum
Terraformer: 100 module(s) producing 0.1 atm per annum
Maintenance Modules: 500 module(s) capable of supporting ships of 100000 tons

JC9375K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 9375000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Magneto-plasma Drive E5 (2200)    Power 80    Fuel Use 50%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500,000,000 Litres    Range 192.1 billion km   (2367 days at full power)
Alpha R300/9 Shields (1000)   Total Fuel Cost  9,000 Litres per day

10cm C2 Visible Light Laser (1)    Range 60,000km     TS: 2000 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 2    ROF 10        3 3 2 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
Quad 10cm C2 Visible Light Laser Turret (10x4)    Range 60,000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Power 12-8     RM 2    ROF 10        3 3 2 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
CIWS-80 (50x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
10cm Railgun V1/C2 (10x4)    Range 10,000km     TS: 2000 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 1    ROF 10        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S04 64-2000 (1)    Max Range: 128,000 km   TS: 2000 km/s     92 84 77 69 61 53 45 37 30 22
Fire Control S04 16-8000 (1)    Max Range: 32,000 km   TS: 8000 km/s     69 37 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Pebble Bed Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (10)     Total Power Output 30    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor S72-R60 (1)     GPS 4320     Range 43.2m km    Resolution 60
Active Search Sensor S72-R1 (1)     GPS 72     Range 720k km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH6-30 (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km
EM Detection Sensor EM6-30 (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (10)   10 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (10)   10 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

I'm afraid the biggest problem is (ignoring size and cost and time lol) that commercial jump-drives won't work on a military ship! Grrr. Increase the maximum size of military jump-drives! I'm not sure if making a separate commercial ship to act as a tug would work. The weapons I just threw on as an after thought, I've never really made it far enough to fight anything. It does have 100 armor and 1000 shields though (I imagine it could keep the shields running indefinitely with its 500 million fuel capacity)  A person can dream though...Maybe once I learn more about designing I'll come up with one built for war. I can just see five thousand missile tubes...

It also gets really smegty gas mileage.