Author Topic: Possible Req. Prot. Level Bug in 5.10?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
Possible Req. Prot. Level Bug in 5.10?
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
I've installed the 5.10 patch, and started a new TN game. One of the first things I noticed is that the Requested Protection Level (RPL) for my 500 million population is 405. This is surprising, because in 5.02, starting a new campaign with 500m pop the RPL was only 45. Since it's a Player Race, with no Militancy, shouldn't this number have been the same in both versions? I also started a new Conventional game, so as to compare starting Technologies, and the RPL in that game for 500m pop is 340.

So, am I misunderstanding how the RPL works, or is there a bug?
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: Possible Req. Prot. Level Bug in 5.10?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:44 AM »
I seem to recall that the requested protection for capital planets was artificially suppressed because it was causing problems somewhere else.  Perhaps Steve fixed the original problem, and now capital planets are free to request lots of protection like other colonies?

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:17:49 AM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
I seem to recall that the requested protection for capital planets was artificially suppressed because it was causing problems somewhere else.  Perhaps Steve fixed the original problem, and now capital planets are free to request lots of protection like other colonies?
I don't know, but it's interesting that 405 (the new RPL) is exactly 9 x 45 (the old RPL). But if this isn't a bug, it's gonna take a lot more and/or bigger ships to keep a colony from unrest.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:27:37 AM »
Again, I strongly suspect this only applies to the capital planet (ie, Earth).  The others should stay the same.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:51:16 AM »
The original problem, as far as I remember, was that in a conventional start, you couldn't protect your home planet because there was nothing available to protect them with.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I haven't changed this area of code. The Required Protection is equal to Population x (Population Species Militancy / 100) x Political Status Protection Mod. So if you have a population of 500 million, I would guess your species militancy is 81%.

Your capital planet is the only one that won't complain if it doesn't meet the protection level required.

The Political Status Protection Mod is 1 for Imperial Population, Candidate Population and Vanquished and 0.5 for Subjugated. It is 0 for Conquered and Occupied.

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
Quote from: "AndonSage"
Since it's a Player Race, with no Militancy, shouldn't this number have been the same in both versions?

I don't know where you got this idea, but it's the source your 'problem'.  Player races have Militancy, Xenophobia, DIplomacy, etc. just like any other race.  In fact, if you choose a government type other than 'Player Race' then the player race will have those modifiers too.

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
I don't know where you got this idea, but it's the source your 'problem'.
Well, I can show you where I got the idea, but I can also say that it was because I misunderstood what it was showing. When I saw the Government Modifiers section, I thought those were the absolute numbers for the statistics:
[attachment=0:2k0gdnlg]Govt_Mods.png[/attachment:2k0gdnlg]
I just totally missed the other section with the actual numbers on the right side of the screen. I just hadn't really gone over the Races screen enough. So many screens...

So, thanks everyone for all the information, and I understand now :)