Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 345394 times)

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #330 on: July 06, 2018, 04:44:53 PM »
Is the simple fix just to have a No-missile checkbox that disables warhead techs and tells the NPRs to only use the beam AI schemas?
I imagine the new way NPRs will be planning out their ships and fleets prevents it from being that simple.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »
Having Mesons turned off is probably simple. It's just 2 techs and one beam among many. Turning missiles completely off is a huge thing. It's dozens of different techs, not only in the MK tree either, and affects the whole ship combat meta massively. It is like ripping out a quarter of the game and expecting everything to just "work" with that hole in it. I can see why someone would love a non-missile game, just that it certainly isn't easy to do properly.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2018, 12:02:35 AM »
I would very much appreciate an option to turn off Jump Gate Constructors (whatever they will be called in the new version)
There is an option to remove all jump technology and have gates everywhere, but I would very much like to play with jump drives only.

ulf

« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »
Quote from: Whitecold link=topic=9841. msg108858#msg108858 date=1531112555
I would very much appreciate an option to turn off Jump Gate Constructors (whatever they will be called in the new version)
There is an option to remove all jump technology and have gates everywhere, but I would very much like to play with jump drives only.

Since jump gates are needed for the civilian traffic, wouldn't it be better to restrict it to commercial only?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
When I am building ships quickly I try to use planetary industry to build some of the big ticket items so that the ship construction time is reduced.  This ends up being a bit of a pain a lot of times as I am building x engines, y turrets, etc. If we could have some means of putting together several items in a package and selecting the package to be built instead of the individual items it would help.  For example a recent cruiser I built had 4 engines, 3 heavy laser turrets, 4 point defense turrets and 4 different fire controls.  If all of this could be combined into CA1 package it would make using the planetary industry to speed up ship construction much easier.

As a note by prefabricating much of a ships components I was able to take a 30,000 ton ship with a nominal 23 month build time and instead have it finished in 5 months.  Better than 4 times as fast, which can be a big advantage in an emergency.

Brian

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
These are some things I suggest. 
1.   Orbital shields powered by fuel on the surface.  (Perhaps higher fuel usage?)
2.   More efficient fuel (fuel itself)
3.   Renaming shipping lines in sm mode
4.   Having chance for a ground unit to die during unrest
5.   Shipping lines going bankrupt if they have no source of income
6.   Unmanned probes
7.   Area of effect for missiles with radiation
8.   Medical research to increase life span of officers
9.   Having the correct images for the Sol System planets n system view

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #336 on: July 12, 2018, 05:51:58 AM »
Since jump gates are needed for the civilian traffic, wouldn't it be better to restrict it to commercial only?
I thought I read somewhere that civilians now knew how to deal with jump tenders. I can't find the source though, I am afraid

When I am building ships quickly I try to use planetary industry to build some of the big ticket items so that the ship construction time is reduced.  This ends up being a bit of a pain a lot of times as I am building x engines, y turrets, etc. If we could have some means of putting together several items in a package and selecting the package to be built instead of the individual items it would help.  For example a recent cruiser I built had 4 engines, 3 heavy laser turrets, 4 point defense turrets and 4 different fire controls.  If all of this could be combined into CA1 package it would make using the planetary industry to speed up ship construction much easier.

As a note by prefabricating much of a ships components I was able to take a 30,000 ton ship with a nominal 23 month build time and instead have it finished in 5 months.  Better than 4 times as fast, which can be a big advantage in an emergency.

Brian

Would it not make more sense to have industry being able to directly support shipyards to some extend, reducing build times, instead of fiddling with component stockpiles. Change it so you are able to assign industry to ship construction, and flag shipyards to use industry support, accelerating the project as if it was building the components, without any of the micromanagement.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, El Pip, Kytuzian, TheBawkHawk, DocSpit

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #337 on: July 14, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
More conditional orders (took damage) (if hostile is found) (fire missiles at closest hostile)? And more conditional order slots a,b,c,d. . .

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #338 on: July 14, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Would it not make more sense to have industry being able to directly support shipyards to some extend, reducing build times, instead of fiddling with component stockpiles. Change it so you are able to assign industry to ship construction, and flag shipyards to use industry support, accelerating the project as if it was building the components, without any of the micromanagement.

Problem is the component mechanic supports and enables ALOT of other game mechanics.

Salvaging of ship components.
Scrapping ship components ( for science and resources ).
Trading of ship components ( rp multi faction games )
Moving of ship components from an industrial planet to a separate dockyard planet.
Repairs and upgrades using ship components.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
Problem is the component mechanic supports and enables ALOT of other game mechanics.

Salvaging of ship components.
Scrapping ship components ( for science and resources ).
Trading of ship components ( rp multi faction games )
Moving of ship components from an industrial planet to a separate dockyard planet.
Repairs and upgrades using ship components.

I agree that these are valid uses of components, building them in factories to accelerate construction however is not one of them in my opinion, because it requires tedious micromanagement.
My suggestion would be to allow industry to support shipyards as if you were microing them, to get the same advantage out without having to place all these orders.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:31 PM »

I agree that these are valid uses of components, building them in factories to accelerate construction however is not one of them in my opinion, because it requires tedious micromanagement.
My suggestion would be to allow industry to support shipyards as if you were microing them, to get the same advantage out without having to place all these orders.

3 of my 5 points are impossible or pointless to do without allowing factories to produce components... So your agreement also becomes a direct contradiction to your own statement/suggestion that follows it.

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
Disabling increment adjustment, its really annoying.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #342 on: July 15, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »

3 of my 5 points are impossible or pointless to do without allowing factories to produce components... So your agreement also becomes a direct contradiction to your own statement/suggestion that follows it.

I just read through both of the Whitecold's posts, and I don't find a spot where he clearly says that he wants to rip out the ability of factories to build components (that can then be used in ships) - from my reading (especially of his last sentence) he could be talking about adding an ease-of-use feature that will e.g. take the total cost of factory-buildable components in a SY task, schedule a factory "support this SY" task, and have the factory run the time-to-completion clock more quickly at the appropriate rate to represent the factory building those components (without the components ever showing up).  Sooooo.......

Whitecold: Are you suggesting that Steve rip out the current mechanism of having factories build components that are then used by SY, or are you proposing an additional mechanism that leaves the current one in place?

Thanks,
John

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #343 on: July 15, 2018, 10:12:13 AM »
Whitecold: Are you suggesting that Steve rip out the current mechanism of having factories build components that are then used by SY, or are you proposing an additional mechanism that leaves the current one in place?

Thanks,
John
Well, ripping it out would solve the discrepancy as well, but my idea would be to leave it in place, and calculating the BP needed for the components which are still missing from a design, and allowing industry to support the shipyards up to that amount of BP.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #344 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »
Disabling increment adjustment, its really annoying.

It would be more annoying if an NPR destroyed your ships without you ever detecting them :)