Author Topic: Jump tenders with multiple jump drives  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Adseria

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Jump tenders with multiple jump drives
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
I've been wondering whether to remove the requirement for the jump ship to be as large as the jump drive capacity. It would lead to smaller jump tenders and more tactical flexibility. However, it would also make large jump ships less critical than they are now.

Opens to comments on whether this would be a good idea or not.

Why not keep the limit, but add an option to remove it in the game setup screen? That way, it's the player's choice.

EDIT: if it makes any difference, I don't really care one way or the other. My warships tend to have short range anyway, so having a combination tanker/tender works anyway. That way, I can refuel, jump into combat, and then refuel immediately afterwards. So, even if you did remove the limit, I'd probably still add a ton of fuel tanks to my tenders later (come to think of it, it would probably be more than 1 ton :D), and maybe some MSPs and ammo too.

Of course, I should point out that I'm still only a couple of decades into my 1st game, so my priorities might change once I start getting bigger warships, and a bigger empire for them to defend. All I've said above is the way I see things at the moment; my shipyards and tenders can't handle big ships, so I make small ships with no fuel (not literally, obviously) and then use tanker/tenders to refuel every 2 months or so.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:23:38 PM by Adseria »

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »
remove the requirement for the jump ship to be as large as the jump drive capacity

I love the convenience that'd give but I think it would cheapen gate builders a lot. are those still a thing in c# aurora?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 09:24:31 AM »
remove the requirement for the jump ship to be as large as the jump drive capacity

I love the convenience that'd give but I think it would cheapen gate builders a lot. are those still a thing in c# aurora?

Yes, although they are now called Jump Point Stabilization Ships

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:38 AM »
I've always found it annoying to have to stuff in a bunch of low cost/volume systems just to get up to a target size. 

John