Author Topic: conventional start and ruins  (Read 1656 times)

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
conventional start and ruins
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:22 AM »
I was wondering what changes people make on conventional starts if any?  I find the default to be a little too slow.  Although I have not tried the default now that I build more then 200 factories at the start.

Also was wondering how people go about adding ruins.  Do you just hit the add ruins button and roll with what you get or do you say i want at least a "xxx"?  I think ruins need to be added to a single race/country start to give a reason to actually build a navy.  I know that there could be aliens on the other side of the first jump point (happened my first game I actually made it out of sol) but I can't see my race thinking that it would really be a possibility.

In my current game I started in a nebula and added ruins to the only possible colony. I also doubled my pop and starting resources and raised the accessibility (had a lot of .1, although going to .5 was a bit overboard).  So far its been an interesting game,  I found the ruins when I was in the middle of researching tech to build colony ships and actually had to stop and ask myself how to handle it.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: conventional start and ruins
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
Quote from: "dooots"
I was wondering what changes people make on conventional starts if any?  I find the default to be a little too slow.  Although I have not tried the default now that I build more then 200 factories at the start.

Also was wondering how people go about adding ruins.  Do you just hit the add ruins button and roll with what you get or do you say i want at least a "xxx"?  I think ruins need to be added to a single race/country start to give a reason to actually build a navy.  I know that there could be aliens on the other side of the first jump point (happened my first game I actually made it out of sol) but I can't see my race thinking that it would really be a possibility.

In my current game I started in a nebula and added ruins to the only possible colony. I also doubled my pop and starting resources and raised the accessibility (had a lot of .1, although going to .5 was a bit overboard).  So far its been an interesting game,  I found the ruins when I was in the middle of researching tech to build colony ships and actually had to stop and ask myself how to handle it.
Ruins are found through random events. You can add them to setup a scenario but I don't tend to add them as a matter of course. The reasons for building a navy are similar to those in the real world. To protect the sea (space) lines of communication or to project power against an enemy. Also in the real world to act as a deterrent but that doesn't work so well in Aurora :)

Steve

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
Having a navy at the start as a showing of strength or to protect the shipping lines is a good enough reason for me to build the first combat ships.  I was thinking about it too much as a tool to defend myself from nprs.

Is it possible to add ship wrecks in some way?  I was thinking it would be interesting to have a few floating around a jump point.

Offline Maximillian

• Petty Officer
  • M
Wrecks - was Re: conventional start and ruins
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
Is it possible to add ship wrecks in some way? I was thinking it would be interesting to have a few floating around a jump point.

Having just run into a hostile fleet of incredibly fast gunboats armed with meson guns, I can say wIthout fear of contradiction that wrecks are in the game.  As are lifepods.

Max

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
Re: Wrecks - was Re: conventional start and ruins
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
Quote from: "Maximillian"
Is it possible to add ship wrecks in some way? I was thinking it would be interesting to have a few floating around a jump point.

Having just run into a hostile fleet of incredibly fast gunboats armed with meson guns, I can say wIthout fear of contradiction that wrecks are in the game.  As are lifepods.

Max

I believe he meant at system creation, like finding just random wrecks of ancient vessels from era's past who had engine trouble and got stranded in some backwater with no retreival.  :twisted:

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
Yeah I was talking about being able to add them with sm mode or even as a random event like ruins.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:09:45 AM »
Write it into the suggestions.
Even though the chance is pretty slim.
I would second it.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Write it into the suggestions.
Even though the chance is pretty slim.
I would second it.

This (an "add wrecks" button) is actually the sort of suggestion that has a fairly high chance of making it into the game.  It's small, focussed, easy to code up, doesn't break the game by introducing a whole new weapons system/technology, is optional for players who want to use it, and adds to role playing/story development.

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »
Yay, together with the "Add Precursors" button and the "Add random error messages" button!^^

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Wrecks - was Re: conventional start and ruins
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »
Quote from: "Journier"
Quote from: "Maximillian"
I believe he meant at system creation, like finding just random wrecks of ancient vessels from era's past who had engine trouble and got stranded in some backwater with no retreival.  :twisted:
That is already in the game. You can find ancient precursor wrecks in some systems.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
Yes, but other than ruins, you can't manually add wrecks or precursors.