Author Topic: CIWS on PDCs  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Theeht (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
CIWS on PDCs
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
Do CIWS mounted on PDCs work?  When I searched it I got some conflicting answers.

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Re: CIWS on PDCs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:02:47 PM »
They only work when the atmosphere is below 1. I think.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
Yes, CIWS work on PDC's regardless of the atmosphere of the body they are on, as they are assumed to be firing at point blank range and so ignore any atmosphere.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:25:45 PM by metalax »

Offline Theeht (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »
Great, thanks.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »
Incoming ordinance will only be fired upon if the PDC is itself the target of the of the missiles.  So a CIWS installation can't protect civilians.  However, if in fact gauss cannons work for final defense in atmo, you could put a LOT of turrets on a PDC.............................

Offline Theeht (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
Yes, I am planning to put large numbers of them on my active sensor bases.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
Unfortunately, Gauss cannons you design yourself don't work in atmosphere. In fact due to the way the atmosphere effects are calculated (rounding down the damage) the slightest wisp of atmosphere renders them ineffective.

If you are wanting to use PDC mounted turrets as a form of PD, you will need a close orbiting moon that you can deploy them on. Gauss has too short a range for most moons but emplacing PDC's full of laser turrets on luna works well, once you have researched enough to have ranges of 400k+.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:03:54 PM by metalax »

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:28:16 PM »
CIWs and regular PD work different.  This thread is specifically about CIWs.  In simple: PD shoots down missiles that it sees.  CIWs is more like an electric fence, when something is close enough to touch it, it shoots it down.  Because of the extreme short range (I imagine handheld weapon range) it's figured that atmosphere plays a minimal roll in interference.  Will a full sized PD laser might be shooting at things in low orbit, your CIWs are probably more like a half-mile range.  That's why CIWs work and PD don't.

At least that's what I took from the forums.  Never tried it myself.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 03:44:29 AM »
Ok, so on a sensor base they'd probably have some utility then.  Because large numbers aren't really protecting the population at all, I
ve not employed them on PDCs, focusing on AMM and now orbital bases.  I love me some orbital bases on major worlds.  I'm going to install gauss turrets in large banks and put them orbiting major industrial worlds.  All I need is a simple, robust method to keep the wheels greased on an automated mineral distribution network so that I no longer have to think about the maitenence. 

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 05:15:24 AM »
CIW on a sensor PDC should work very well, as the large active sensor will light it like a flair and that PDC will take a lot of fire.  Any extra protection will be a boost for you damage sink.