Author Topic: Researched orbital habitat? but cant build it?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline PayneRamsey (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
Researched orbital habitat? but cant build it?
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:14 PM »
i researched the orbital habitat?...but where do i build it? its not under installations in industry...and its not in build pdc/orbital habitat

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Researched orbital habitat? but cant build it?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
It's a component you add to a design.

Technically, a habitat is a ship with at least one such component and anything else you stitch onto it, really.

The habitat component 'only' allows for industry to build the design instead of shipyards (though I think you can still build them in there, if you get a million ton one, that is) and for 50k colonists to live in it if the ship is in orbit of a colony.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
Re: Researched orbital habitat? but cant build it?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:40:31 AM »
Actually, the habitat allows for any ship to be built at industry instead of shipyard.  Or at a shipyard if you manage to get one massive enough.  You can make a MASSIVE warship if you stick an orbital habitat on, because then you're not limited by shipyard size, only by your maintenance and engine power.  But, you'll also be lugging around the added weight and expense of the habitat...

Either way, it seems most people build their habitats without engines and keep them very commercial.  They're useful for extremely hostile planets, as it allows you to occupy an N/A cost world, 50,000 colonists at a time.  It essentially gives to 50k infrastructure-free population.  On earth it's useless, unless you're building up a different species who can't survive on earth, then a habitat will let you keep a few in orbit without worrying about infrastructure.  Or if you're wanting to put some non-auto mines on an asteroid and need some population to run the mines.  Not to mention the roleplaying value, but that's another argument altogether.