Author Topic: Future features, systems, components, etc you want (for AAR reasons only)  (Read 2293 times)

Offline swarm_sadist (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
What sort of new features would you like incorporated into Aurora to make role playing campaigns more exciting or dynamic, without going into suggestions for gameplay reasons.

Some examples I'm thinking of are:
Commanders becoming incapacitated in combat, requiring junior officers to take charge. This could even generate an exceptional officer if the junior officers ends up being competent.

Requiring shuttles, transporters, docking clamps/hoses, etc to transport supplies, munitions and fuel from ship to ship. Moving commanders? Requires a shuttle. Reload from colliers? The ship must attach itself to the slow collier. Refuel from a conscripted tanker? Take a number and be patient. This will take a while.

Flight crew readiness, actually fleet readiness, to affect reaction time and fighter launch time. A year of peace would dull the flight crew, with some napping in an emergency. A helo sitting on deck can take up to 30 minutes to put fuel in it, do a system check, engine warm-up and takeoff.

Dedicated training vessel designation, to train crew and captains. After all, it seems unlikely that a cadet would go from theory and paper testing to command just like that. It would be nice to use the -T designation in my fleet.

Being able to create custom commanders; customizing their school of thought, field of focus, & skill level in SM. Creating characters for other players in a MP-RP would be fun.

Being able to set which type of scientists are at the beginning of the game, so your war race isn't stuck with 3 biology experts.

Hide and randomize research costs and times remaining, to give a feeling of uncertainty when making decisions. Want a new missile launcher? Low cost, short research time, progress 'is going nowhere'.

Those are a few I can think of at the moment. What do you guys think?

Offline Zook

• Commander
I wouldn't want to spend more than one mouse click to refuel a ship. It gets tedious enough as it is, even if it's unrealistic.

Randomize research costs in each new campaign. Maybe missile reload tech gets a +100% modifier in your next game, suddenly upsetting the routine research progression, where you make the same choices every time. Or shields being so cheap that nobody researches armor. It would force you to rethink the entire fleet composition in each game. Some standard tech fields might not be available at all, or only found in ruins.

Loss of communication with a fleet. The hyper-radio emitter breaks down, or a solar flare causes interference. Your fleet disappears. The captain then either follows his original orders, or sets sail for the next colony to reestablish contact.

Or maybe a ship needs an actual hyper-radio component to be able to communicate with HQ. If not equipped with one, you can only give orders to it if it's in a system with a colony of yours (or with a ship equipped with a hyper-comm).

Your espionage teams could break the enemy's hyper-comm code and see some of their ships' positions and/or orders.

Diplomatic incidents that sour your relations with an alien race. Or is that already in the game? My neighbors all love me. What do I need a huge fleet for?

Space herpes. The ship has to be quarantined.

Outbreaks of space sickness. You'd better send a ship with medical bays, or get them to the nearest colony.

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Having commander traits actually do something. Like maybe an impulsive officer will fire without permission and a cowardly officer refuse to do battle.

Giving ground units their race characteristics, changing how they fight somewhat.

Rouge ships, maybe even rouge colonies that have rebelled against your benevolent rule.

A non-SM execute commander button. ;D

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
Just for AAR / RP purposes, I'd love the ability to designate "research outposts" or something like that.  Almost like a fighter version of a colony - small, still has some needs, but not too big.  Mostly I'd like to be able to designate something as for limited access only for my civilian freighters long before the pop gets to 25 million.  Like, a little research outpost on Titan with maybe 1 terraformer for testing would be cool in my RP world.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline swarm_sadist (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Having a few more SM options would be nice. For instance:

1. Having a geo-survey and grav-survey ship store their survey information inside their computers as 'intelligence inside ship's computers". The ship would then have to either take it back to base, 'transmit' the message through a jump point, or hand it off to a currier ship. This information can therefor be lost if the ship is destroyed before the intelligence is gathered. This 'intelligence storage' could be used by reconnaissance ships as well, requiring ships to scout out enemy ships to determine intelligence information, such as speed and armour level. Optional: have a limit to the amount of information that can be stored, in billions of bytes, the ability to add 'custom' information (read SM) into a ship, adjust the size of information, 'corrupt' or 'vague' information to make it less useful to the players, and encrypt information to make it harder to crack.

2. When 'transmitting' information (such as intelligence, orders, personal communications, fleet updates, etc), allow players, espionage teams, EW ships and god(SM) to jam, intercept, decode, scramble, manipulate, trace or retransmit the signal. An SM 'transmit' button can be used to run the function, which would check for the nearest ship or base in range during the next sub-pulse, and place the intelligence in that ship/base. A signal detailing geological information of another solar system can be transmitted through a jump ship, which could then be picked up by a nearby intelligence cruiser. The data could be encrypted or compressed, requiring the ship to try to decode the message. By the time the ship does so, it may be too late to act on the information.

3. Allow the SM to set up espionage scenarios, with generic types such as espionage, sabotage, theft, surveillance, assassination, counter-intelligence and reconnaissance. Allow the player to name the operation. Allow the computer or SM to determine the difficulty, cost and reward for the operation, through die rolls and DC ratings (or the enemies die roll). Alternatively, the computer could just use the espionage team's skill rating for it's die roll, and the enemies counter-intelligence skill level for their die roll, +/- funding situation. The SM can then reward the players with whatever the player was targeting, such as ship schematics and so forth. The chance of it being clandestine or covert is dependent on the type of mission and the SM.

4. A communications system, as Zook said, that is used to transmit large amounts of 'signal' to other ships. Maybe have an optimum range and an absolute maximum range. Ex: Radio Antennae; 100% effective up to 1 billion km, dropping 1% in effectiveness every 100 Mkm after that. Sending a message to a ship at 50% effective range reduces the power of the message(so it might not be heard), the clarity(might not be understood), or it might distort the signal(might not be recognizable). The SM should be able to create these components as he sees fit, maybe even requiring them to be researched by the players.

5. Allow officers to be traitors for other players, by giving the players the ability to blackmail, kidnap, extort or coerce. These officers could then be sleeper agents, or actively working with the other side. Examples include helping the espionage team steal important documents, have the mole obscure or block investigation, or actively participate.

6. Moving away from intelligence, cities. Maybe have a little box in the planet window saying how many cities, towns and outposts there are on a planet. Nothing major, just for fun. Maybe make it so that the enemy can capture a city during ground combat, so you can see just how many cities you have left. Maybe a separate box showing the number of metropolises, and the top 5 by name (if there are any on that planet).

7. Scandals with officers and administrators, related to their personality. Make it so an aggressive, assertive, ass****, (I'm sure that's a personality) may get into fights with other officers. Again, nothing major, just for fun unless the SM says otherwise.

8. Adding and removing unrest to a planet in SM mode. Mobs and riots, maybe even insurgents.

9. A insurrection command that determines if a ship, fleet or planetary garrison separates from your empire. Maybe input a percentage or base it off unrest. When the function is called, search through all ships relevant to the conditions set (such as it's faction and location) and spit out either rebel, loyalist or split. The split ships can then determine it through boarding (except their boarding their own ship).

Offline Sloshmonger

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Having a few more SM options would be nice. For instance:
8. Adding and removing unrest to a planet in SM mode. Mobs and riots, maybe even insurgents.

You can already do this.  In SM mode, pull up Population & Production (F2), and click the SM Mods button on the bottom.  It's listed as Unrest Points - don't know if that's percentage or what, but it's there.

Offline Zook

• Commander
A treasure hunt. The ancient tablet says "Find the White dwarf and the two Sisters, then proceed to the third moon from the left". Your xenologists find evidence there that the next part of what can only be a kind of map was stolen by precursors and hidden on "the coldest place in the universe", probably not more than 10b km away. Etc etc.

Offline Zook

• Commander
You can also dance with the governor's daughter, although she is ugly as hell.

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
I am unfamiliar with the acronym AAR in this context, someone care to enlighten me?  ???

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
I am unfamiliar with the acronym AAR in this context, someone care to enlighten me?  ???
After Action Report.

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
Thanks!