Author Topic: Wild new game  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Wild new game
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
So, since my last game was a bit slow to develop, I started a new game with the latest patch. Everything was stock, except 40% NPR generation, bumped up the population on Earth to 1.5bn and set 4 starting NPRs, and Jump gates on all Jump Points. No wormhole nightmares at start. :)

10 years into the game, 9 NPR's, including one low tech NPR next door to Sol. Most have been friendly/neutral, but they DON'T like each other. The United Kingdom of Milerton is three jumps away, four from their home world, and they and two other NPR's have been blasting each other to scrap. 30+ wrecks in their home system! They and one of the combatants have already setup trade relationships with me. The other combatant isn't too friendly, and I think his government type is going to lead us into conflict.

Definitely the busiest game I have seen so far, and having the gates on the warp points has folks expanding like mad. I like the fairly low tech scrapping going on, lots of Ion Drive ships blasting the stuffing out of each other. Ships are few and pretty precious right now. The big three way shooting fest has devolved into Destroyer vs FAC combats, since all the big ships got stuffed. Been fun watching the plucky little Milerton's hold off the hordes of the Fleshlough Khanate and the fascist Issa Empire. I suspect I will get to ride to the rescue, at least vs the Issa. The trade relationships have been a lifesaver though. Been expanding like mad without my usual deficit spending crisis that I got in my last several games.

Adding gates has certainly made for a much busier game!

Offline PTTG

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Wild new game
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »
I keep wanting to set up a game with a ton of NPRs on earth all set to be conventional nations with real-world populations and stats- like, every nation with heavy lift capability gets one military shipyard, and that sort of thing.

Then see what happens in a few decades.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
I keep wanting to set up a game with a ton of NPRs on earth all set to be conventional nations with real-world populations and stats- like, every nation with heavy lift capability gets one military shipyard, and that sort of thing.

Then see what happens in a few decades.

FYI, conventional NPR's can only be human controlled.  The AI is only built to handle TN races.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
You can just give them 0 RP, this will only give them some basics (no Jump Point theory). They will start with a fleet though, even if you uncheck the 'start with fleet' box.

Offline PTTG

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »
I'll have to play around in SM mode a bit then. I think you can actually delete techs but that might throw off the AI.

The main thing I'm worried about is the AIs all deciding to go pure land combat. Even if they don't, I'll have to up Earth's resources to support them all.

Hm... this setup might be fun with Solar Warming enabled.