Author Topic: Suggestions for planetary nomenclature systems?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline RedKing (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Suggestions for planetary nomenclature systems?
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
I do almost exclusively "real stars" games, and I'm one to hate seeing all those "Gliese 408 A-II - Moon 13" type entries out there because they lack personality.  But once you're 50-80 years into a game, the sheer number of balls of rock you have to come up with names for becomes daunting.  Even just restricting it to the worlds of interest can exhaust a good supply of names pretty quickly.  Anybody got a good system they use?

I've tried a couple of different systems, with varying degrees of success:

1.  Starting from Sol, each "arm" gets a different cultural mythos to draw on.  So there's the Greek Arm, the Norse Arm, the Vedic Arm, the Sino-Japanese Arm, the Celtic Arm, etc.  Works pretty well as long as there's enough arms, not too many planets, and you have some encyclopedias of world mythology on hand.

2.  Greek names based on attributes of the planets themselves.  Thalassa for a water world, Borea for a freezing world, etc.  Problem there is that you run out of words for cold/ice/frozen and hot/boiling/smoky/fiery pretty quicky.

3.  Names based on association with the constellation that the parent star is in.  So, for Alpha Centauri the worlds are named after famous centaurs -- Chiron, Nessus, etc.
One upside to this method is that the names can be used for the stars themselves, to help clear up the clutter of "Gliese XXX" that builds up.  Downside is that you have to do a fair bit of work building up a database of what star is where.  And you find most of your early worlds named after bears, snakes and virgins.   ;D

Another thing I've taken to doing is renaming all asteroids with minerals.  Initially I tried to make them match up with their RL counterparts, but found it nearly impossible since they're numbered based on distance from Sol rather than order of discovery as they are in real life.  And trying to sort by size and match up the largest ones fails as well.  So I just took to naming them based on their number in Aurora and making a 1-to-1 eqiuvalency with the RL numbered asteroid.  So Asteroid #3 becomes 3 Juno, Asteroid #74 becomes 74 Galatea, etc.  The nice thing with that is that when you move on to the next system with significant asteroids, you can just jump up to the next 100 and renumber.  So if Barnard's Star has 235 asteroids, Asteroid #26 can become 426 Hippo, and so forth.  There's something like 16,000 named asteroids -- it'll take a while to run out.  Makes it a LOT easier to keep track of as well.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Suggestions for planetary nomenclature systems?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »
So when you find a new systems with 300 asteroids, you know what to do for the enxt few days? Or do you use a script?

Offline RedKing (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
Doesn't take that long, because I only name them after I've run a geosurvey ship through -- and then I just name the ones with minerals.  So in a system of 300, if I'm lucky I'll have 20-30 to name.  And Wikipedia was nice enough to make a big long numbered list as a reference:

hxxp: en. wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_minor_planets

Once I know which number set I'm using, it just takes a few minutes to rename the handful that actually have value.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »
I've found that naming planets is the one thing that keeps me from really being able to stick with one game for long. I can name ships all day with no problem, but planets it's... not really painful, but I can never find good inspiration, especially since I like names to have meaning, but a planet you just discovered is going to have absolutely no personality. Especially if you had to terraform it to make it habitable.

That said, I've never been able to make myself care about asteroids. I never get ones that have minerals that really wow me compared to planets and moons.

Then again, almost every planet and moon I find with mineral has 0.1 availability for whatever is there. I'm not bitter, no sir.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:21 AM »
I only name colonies.

Planets and moons do not interest me. I think the time taken to name them would drive me a little batty.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
Yeah, I've only ever bothered naming colonies

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.