Author Topic: Carrier questions  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Commodore_Areyar (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • I will format your cruiser!
Carrier questions
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
Q: Does the mass of carried fighters (or larger parasites) get added to the mass of the carrier?

-will the speed of the carrier be slowed to reflect the added mass.

-how does this affect jump engines?

--will the carrier that is designed to the maximum of its J-engine weigh too much?
images of planets etc

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Carrier questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »
Quote from: "Commodore_Areyar"
Q: Does the mass of carried fighters (or larger parasites) get added to the mass of the carrier?

For PDCs, it add to build points, and presumably does so for ships as well. No extra mass is added, outside the mass from the hangar.

-will the speed of the carrier be slowed to reflect the added mass.

Well yea, more compotents you add, the slower your ship goes.

-how does this affect jump engines?
Like it always does.

--will the carrier that is designed to the maximum of its J-engine weigh too much?
[/quote]

Why would it? You designed a ship jump engine with its mass and the mass of the ship, it should work fine.

I highly suggest building a prototype, as the game doesn't penalized you for doing so.

Offline Micro102

• M
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:51:55 PM »
All those after-questions were based on fighters adding mass to the carrier, not the hangers for the fighters.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
Micro is right: I am asking about carried fighters adding mass, not the hangars doing so.

Also I don't get the remark about fighters adding to buildpoints. That is just not true. ships or DPCs with hangar space are not built with a full complement of fighters.

example:
I have designed a small tender of 9000tons, the drive is capable of 9000tons as well, the ship has hangar space for 2000 tons of fighters.
We assign four fighters of 0.5kt, filling it to capacity.
Does the ship now weigh 11000 tons?  Or does the game ignore the weight of carried stuff?

If it does weigh extra, I'd expect it to be slowed. Just like tugs are slowed by the extra mass they tow.

Also the jump engine might no longer work, depending on how and when JD validity is determined.

Playtesting my design is a bit un-handy right now, because I'm just finding out my pointdefence is worth buttkiss against my first enemy. :)
images of planets etc

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
No, fighters do not add to the mass of the carrier. Their mass is allready taken care of by the hangar deck.
One could argue that an empty carrier should mass _less_ than the construction cost, but I think the effect would not be worth the hassle.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
No, fighters do not add to the mass of the carrier. Their mass is allready taken care of by the hangar deck.
One could argue that an empty carrier should mass _less_ than the construction cost, but I think the effect would not be worth the hassle.

Yeah. same principle as cargoholds then.:)
images of planets etc

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:10:46 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"

Yeah. same principle as cargoholds then.:)

Steve has stated in the past that he did not what to code for ship mass changes for hangers, cargo and cryo holds, magazines, fuel tanks, etc etc etc.  While it would be realistic to do so, the level of micro-management would be extremely detramental to game play.  Not to mention to processing overhead for minimal game impact.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »
That is totally fine and why I didnt post it in the Academy and not in Suggestions. :)

Realism is not only requires attention to detail, but also attention to the realities of gameplay.
(eg realism in simulation is what weather scientists strive for and they need buildings full of supercomputers to get an approximation.)
images of planets etc

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Steve has stated in the past that he did not what to code for ship mass changes for hangers, cargo and cryo holds, magazines, fuel tanks, etc etc etc.  While it would be realistic to do so, the level of micro-management would be extremely detramental to game play.  Not to mention to processing overhead for minimal game impact.

You guys can always come to me for pseudo-science BS....

Expert hand waving commences:

The inertialess TN drives that Aurora uses aren't affect by actual mass, they are affected by the amount of cross section of the ship as it pushes against the resisting interstellar dust.  The hangars and holds increase the size of the ship, reducing the speed at which the engines' thrust equals the interstellar drag.

I'll go with this myself until Steve pipes up with a real answer.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
ships or DPCs with hangar space are not built with a full complement of fighters.
I vaguely recall that maybe they used to be, a looooooong time ago (possibly even as early as SA).

How's that for a definitive statement? :-)

John