Author Topic: Galaxy Map Question  (Read 1653 times)

Offline solops (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Galaxy Map Question
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
Even though I have explored 14 systems, I can only get four to display on the map, not matter how far down I zoom. It down appear the some naes are stacked on top of each other. I am having to map my exploration on graph paper and that is not fun or pretty. Is there some trick to the galaxy screen?.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Galaxy Map Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »
Quote from: "solops"
Even though I have explored 14 systems, I can only get four to display on the map, not matter how far down I zoom. It down appear the some naes are stacked on top of each other. I am having to map my exploration on graph paper and that is not fun or pretty. Is there some trick to the galaxy screen?.

Yep - you need to shift-drag the systems off of each other.  Once that's done, you'll want to hit the "sys pos" button at the top, then do a "Line up" (which snaps to a grid) and (VERY IMPORTANT) "save positions".  If you don't save, then the next time you hit refresh (or close then open the window) all your work making it pretty is lost :-)

John

Offline solops (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
LOL. This is a good thing to know! Thanks!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »
The commands such as Line Up and Save Positions are also available on a popup menu. Just right-click any system to see the menu.

Steve

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
I have a few questions related to the map and the geometry of the Aurora Universe.  

1. Is there a keyboard command to center the map on a selected system?  I have over 50 systems and it is getting messy.  The only way to clean it up is to make it more spread out, but I would need an easy way to zoom out, select, then zoom in on a new center.  

2. How many systems will a game with the settings recommended in the tutorial have?  

3. Are the connections between systems -- the basic geometry -- set at game creation?  Or does Aurora generate on the fly when somebody first enters a system?  Are the compositions of each system set at game creation?  Or does Aurora generate each system when somebody first enters?  

4. Would somebody be so kind to post a picture of a map with a lot of systems in it.  I could use some visual help.  Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to take the number of systems at each generation and evenly spread them out along a circle.  Of course, one doesn't know how many there are going to be until you explore each generation and so far it is increasing geometrically.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:36:23 AM »
Quote from: "Balibar"
I have a few questions related to the map and the geometry of the Aurora Universe.  

1. Is there a keyboard command to center the map on a selected system?  I have over 50 systems and it is getting messy.  The only way to clean it up is to make it more spread out, but I would need an easy way to zoom out, select, then zoom in on a new center.  
You can zoom in and out using the + and - on the keypad and use the keypad numbers to move around. You can also press Alt-F which pops up a small input box. Type in a system name and the map will centre on that system. Page Up and Page Down will cycle through recently searched systems

2. How many systems will a game with the settings recommended in the tutorial have?  
The systems are only generated when you enter them, so it is effectively unlimited. The only restriction is the maxium number of system field on the game window but you can change this mid-game.

3. Are the connections between systems -- the basic geometry -- set at game creation?  Or does Aurora generate on the fly when somebody first enters a system?  Are the compositions of each system set at game creation?  Or does Aurora generate each system when somebody first enters?  
Systems and links are created when a race enters a previously unexplored jump point. At game start there is only your home system and the home systems of any NPRs.

4. Would somebody be so kind to post a picture of a map with a lot of systems in it.  I could use some visual help.  Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to take the number of systems at each generation and evenly spread them out along a circle.  Of course, one doesn't know how many there are going to be until you explore each generation and so far it is increasing geometrically.
Here is a page that contains links to portions of one huge map I created for the Rigellian Diary. It's a Starfire Campaign using the Starfire Assistant program (a forerunner of Aurora) but the galactic map is virtually the same code. Click the various links to see the maps: http://www.aurora4x.com/newrigellian.htm

Steve

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"

You can zoom in and out using the + and - on the keypad and use the keypad numbers to move around. You can also press Alt-F which pops up a small input box. Type in a system name and the map will centre on that system. Page Up and Page Down will cycle through recently searched systems
Thank!  This is exactly what I needed.  

The systems are only generated when you enter them, so it is effectively unlimited. The only restriction is the maxium number of system field on the game window but you can change this mid-game.

Systems and links are created when a race enters a previously unexplored jump point. At game start there is only your home system and the home systems of any NPRs.
How do the player and NPR meet?  Is it random?  Or is the connection(s) between them fixed at game creation?  

Here is a page that contains links to portions of one huge map I created for the Rigellian Diary. It's a Starfire Campaign using the Starfire Assistant program (a forerunner of Aurora) but the galactic map is virtually the same code. Click the various links to see the maps: http://www.aurora4x.com/newrigellian.htm

Steve
Thanks very much for the links.  I have some ideas on how to use your snap to grid function to clean things up in my map.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:09:36 AM »

How do the player and NPR meet?  Is it random?  Or is the connection(s) between them fixed at game creation?  

Whenever you explore a never before explored jumppoint, there is a chance that it will link to an allready existing system. If the NPR is there, your meet. So yes, it´s random.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"

Whenever you explore a never before explored jumppoint, there is a chance that it will link to an allready existing system. If the NPR is there, your meet. So yes, it´s random.
Thanks!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"

Thanks!
And if it links to a new system, there's a chance that that new system will be generated with an NPR-compatible (essentially "habitible) world.  If that happens, then there's a chance that the world will be populated by a new NPR which will be generated at the time of exploration.

John

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:02 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
And if it links to a new system, there's a chance that that new system will be generated with an NPR-compatible (essentially "habitible) world.  If that happens, then there's a chance that the world will be populated by a new NPR which will be generated at the time of exploration.

John
Thanks!