Author Topic: Fleet initiative?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Vanigo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Fleet initiative?
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
How exactly does fleet initiative work? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my ships to move after the contacts they're following, which makes it very hard to maintain the appropriate separation when I'm using beam weapons with better range then the enemy ships. My ships always seem to move first, no matter whether I set the fleet initiative high or low.

Offline Vanigo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Fleet initiative?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:26 AM »
Does anyone know?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:12:12 AM »
How exactly does fleet initiative work? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my ships to move after the contacts they're following, which makes it very hard to maintain the appropriate separation when I'm using beam weapons with better range then the enemy ships. My ships always seem to move first, no matter whether I set the fleet initiative high or low.
Higher numbers should move last, IIRC.  If you're not seeing this, perhaps you should post "before" and "after" screen shots with the bad situation displayed.

John

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:16:08 AM »
You have to set the initiative of your fleet, the default is for an initiative of 100.  You can find it box to set it on the fleet screen (F12) in the upper middle of either the first or second tab.  Higher initiatives move after lower initiatives.

Hope that helps
Brian

Offline Vanigo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »
You have to set the initiative of your fleet, the default is for an initiative of 100.  You can find it box to set it on the fleet screen (F12) in the upper middle of either the first or second tab.  Higher initiatives move after lower initiatives.

Hope that helps
Brian
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I set initiative to 1, and I was still moving first.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I set initiative to 1, and I was still moving first.
Of course because 1 is the first person to move.  If you had set it to 300 the chances are that you would have been the last to move.

Brian

Offline Vanigo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »
Er, right. I've tried setting it as high as I can, too, though, which didn't work either - even against precursors and such which can't possibly have commanders with fleet initiative.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »
I believe you cannot exceed the fleet commanders fleet initiative rating.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »
Precursors/Invaders/etc. either do have commanders with initiative bonuses, or have a ship-based initiative rating.  So odds are, whatever your Fleet Init is, it isn't high enough to let you move after.

Offline chuckles73

• Chief Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=2983.  msg29289#msg29289 date=1286865560
Precursors/Invaders/etc.   either do have commanders with initiative bonuses, or have a ship-based initiative rating.    So odds are, whatever your Fleet Init is, it isn't high enough to let you move after. 

<they don't let me post links, so.  .  .  >(Goto wiki, search for "sequence", click "basic sequence of play") shows you the sequence of play.   The interesting bit to note with respect to your thought is that Monsters (including precursors) move after the fleets/fighters movement phases.   This means that they are outside (and after) the normal fleet initiative phase.   In other words, fleet initiative only matters for player controlled or NPR empires.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »
<they don't let me post links, so.  .  .  >(Goto wiki, search for "sequence", click "basic sequence of play") shows you the sequence of play.   The interesting bit to note with respect to your thought is that Monsters (including precursors) move after the fleets/fighters movement phases.   This means that they are outside (and after) the normal fleet initiative phase.   In other words, fleet initiative only matters for player controlled or NPR empires.
I believe that this is not the case (that precursors are considered monsters from the point of view of movement) - it's probably out-dated information (precursors used to use different rules for their ship designs).  I have had situations (a year or two ago) where I've had a precursor fleet chasing me for long periods of time; when I changed the initiative of my TG the precursor occasionally lost me, presumably because I moved first and moved out of range.

John