Author Topic: Mothball, Diplomacy, Sensors  (Read 1321 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Mothball, Diplomacy, Sensors
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
I am relatively new and my forum searches have not pulled up exactly what I am after. I was wondering is anyone else can help.

Q1.

Can you mothball a spaceships or fighters etc, in turns of parking it and not have any maintainence concerns.

Q2.
In laymen terms I thought the current maintainence clock meant the time I should overhaul it, but I just created some fighters and they already say 7 years. Overhaul set it back to 0 but not sure I understand how they can get so old so fast.

Q3.
Dipolmacy, I cannot seem to speak to any alien race I have now encountered 3 and have got the best people I can on the job in diplomacy, but they always end up hostile.

Q4.
I really do not understand the sensor tab in the system map section. I don't understand what number to put in the slider bar for passive and sensor.

I linkage to previous posts or section is fine, I read some parts but they have become as clear as mud or do not full explain it.

Thanks for any help

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Mothball, Diplomacy, Sensors
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »
I am relatively new and my forum searches have not pulled up exactly what I am after. I was wondering is anyone else can help.

Q1.

Can you mothball a spaceships or fighters etc, in turns of parking it and not have any maintainence concerns.
No.  Mothballing used to be in the game, but was removed in one of the maintenance rule gyrations :-)

What you can do is build enough maintenance facilities on a planet to handle the tonnage of a particular ship (200 tons/facility, e.g. 25 facilities for ships up to 5000 ton).  If you park a ship at such a planet, then its maintenance clock will stop - it will still cost you minerals at a constant rate (displayed at the bottom of the mining tab on the F2 screen).
Q2.
In laymen terms I thought the current maintainence clock meant the time I should overhaul it, but I just created some fighters and they already say 7 years. Overhaul set it back to 0 but not sure I understand how they can get so old so fast.
This sounds a bit odd.  Are you sure you weren't looking at the time it would take to run out of spares?
Q3.
Dipolmacy, I cannot seem to speak to any alien race I have now encountered 3 and have got the best people I can on the job in diplomacy, but they always end up hostile.
Have you opened communications?  Every 5-day you should get a message telling you how communication is progressing.  Have you found any of their planets, or just their ships?  Also if you look in mechanics there should be a post from Steve from a few years back describing the diplomacy rules.  You have to be careful not to do things that upset them (to keep thrm from going hostile even if you can communicate with them).  For example, parking a ship where they can see it in a system where they have a colony is usually a bad idea. :-)
Q4.
I really do not understand the sensor tab in the system map section. I don't understand what number to put in the slider bar for passive and sensor.
These are either the search strength or the signal strength that the computer should use to assume for the bad guys.  You can get an idea of these by looking at your own ships - for example look at the thermal signature to get an idea of where to put the thermal slider bar.

John

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
on Q2.

The error message says on a fighter that is 12 months old after a issue with its engine. The current maintenance clock is now 5.72 years.

on Q3.

I opened up communication after spotting a ship, There was no colony on either of the 3 alien races, the rating of the diplomacy team is 115.
I have not found any planets just there ships, one race was just passing and I continued after loss contact. The event always been +1 or -2, all minor.

on Q4.

Perhaps I am thick but still do not understand can you give a detail example.

thanks for your help

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
Fighters aren't maintained by Maintenance Facilities anymore, you have to house them in hangars for them to survivy a meaningful period of time.

Passive sensors have no fixed range, the range you see when designing is against a contact strength of 1000.
Now you can use those sliders to find out what range your ships sensors would have against contacts of the strength you set.