Author Topic: Patreon?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Kristover (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Patreon?
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:17:57 PM »
I'm speaking strictly for myself here - obviously - but has there been any consideration of putting up a Patreon for this game?  I have derived dozens of hours of enjoyment out of VB6 but had to stop early due to frustration with the long interval lengths.  C# is addressing my major hurdle with this game and on top of that giving me several features which I very excited about (detailed ground based units and combat, NPR initiated planetary invasions, better diplomacy, etc).  This is easily my most anticipated game and I feel like given the 100s of hours of enjoyment I expect to get out of it, I feel like I should be paying something.  I love podcasts for my long daily commute and I fund my favorites on Patreon - 1-3 dollars per episode or so.  I would be amiss to throwing in more than that for this on a voluntary basis.  I think I've seen Steve post that this is a personal project for himself that he is willing to share for others.  That's laudable but I feel honor bound to indicate I would pay for it.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Patreon?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »
Somewhere on the boards Steve has put his email for paypal donations.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »
Thanks for the offer.

My paypal is stevewalmsley4077(insert appropriate sign here)gmail.com

There are two reasons I don't actively seek out donations or charge for Aurora:
1) Aurora is a hobby for me. I have had three previous hobbies that became jobs and there were never as much fun afterwards
2) If people had to pay for Aurora, I would have an obligation to provide a certain level of support. I hope I provide support now, but I don't have to. As soon as you have to do something, it is then work, not fun :)

I do appreciate the offer though and I would spend it wisely on alcohol :)

The following users thanked this post: Jorgen_CAB, serger, Kiri

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10491.  msg116200#msg116200 date=1567246588
Thanks for the offer. 

My paypal is stevewalmsley4077(insert appropriate sign here)gmail.  com

1) Aurora is a hobby for me.   I have had three previous hobbies that became jobs and there were never as much fun afterwards
2) If people had to pay for Aurora, I would have an obligation to provide a certain level of support.   I hope I provide support now, but I don't have to.   As soon as you have to do something, it is then work, not fun :)

The thing with platforms like Patreon is that you aren't seeking funding for a particular 'Thing'.   Instead they're funding you to do what you want to do, if people feel that what you're doing isn't directly related to what they want to support anymore they can drop their pledge, so if you at any point decide another project is more engaging to you than Aurora you can make that change and those that want to support you doing you can continue to do so, those that pledged to keep Aurora going can just drop their pledge. 

Access to Aurora and such has no connection what so ever to do with Patreon support.  And it could even be used as a means to get more direct feedback from people or get updates out there beyond posts on these forums that often get buried and missed. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:49:21 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Kiri

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10491. msg116200#msg116200 date=1567246588
2) If people had to pay for Aurora, I would have an obligation to provide a certain level of support.  I hope I provide support now, but I don't have to.  As soon as you have to do something, it is then work, not fun :)

Quite understandable, even if everyone was purehearted, one would feel a kind of obligation.  And then there are also ppl who would expect you to provide them service because they are a "paying customer"

Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10491. msg116200#msg116200 date=1567246588

Excellent choice good sir :)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the offer.

My paypal is stevewalmsley4077(insert appropriate sign here)gmail.com

1) Aurora is a hobby for me. I have had three previous hobbies that became jobs and there were never as much fun afterwards
2) If people had to pay for Aurora, I would have an obligation to provide a certain level of support. I hope I provide support now, but I don't have to. As soon as you have to do something, it is then work, not fun :)

I know what you drink

that's not wise :D
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.