Author Topic: Mystery from the Stars - Discussion Thread  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Mystery from the Stars - Discussion Thread
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:00:40 AM »
Mysterious, I like! :)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
I don't know if you know this or just RPing it but the Shipyards are treated as being in orbit by the game, not on the ground.

It is a good read, keep it up :)

Offline Texashawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »
I don't know if you know this or just RPing it but the Shipyards are treated as being in orbit by the game, not on the ground.

It is a good read, keep it up :)

I know, but I have always found it somewhat ludicrous that in the timeframe of Aurora, only 5 years past modern day, humanity would have a full-scale shipbuilding operation in orbit, with all the logistics that would go with it. Hell, even Star Trek built 'em on the ground, almost 200 years later! So yeah, for this time frame, it's RP all the way.

Thank you for your feedback, though. I appreciate your read!

-Steve

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
I know, but I have always found it somewhat ludicrous that in the timeframe of Aurora, only 5 years past modern day, humanity would have a full-scale shipbuilding operation in orbit, with all the logistics that would go with it. Hell, even Star Trek built 'em on the ground, almost 200 years later! So yeah, for this time frame, it's RP all the way.

Thank you for your feedback, though. I appreciate your read!

-Steve

Noooooo!! Star Trek built them in Space!!

Two things in the Star Trek reboot that pissed the hell out of me: building a large ship on the surface and having an oil rig as an engineering section :(

(sorry, don't mean to hijack your story thread)

Offline Texashawk

• T
Re: Mystery from the Stars - Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
Not at all! In fact, I was going to start a new thread anyway for discussion - it helps me read the whole story as a block.

I thought, even in the original canon, parts of the ships were built on the ground. I'm almost certain early ships like the DY-500 were built on a land dock. Am I wrong?

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
My understanding was that since they specifically mention that the Defiant and Voyager are the only ships capable of planetary landing AND liftoff then it stands to reason that a big 'ungainly' ship like the Constitution Class wouldn't able to liftoff.

Thruster wash, aerodynamics, structural integrity all come to mind but then I am sure there is some flux capacitor on the ship that negates of all that!  :D

I could definitely live with them making parts on the ground and shipping them into orbit for assembly but then that got me thinking off industrial replicators - why not just have them as part of the orbital dock and just fabricate everything!

I honestly do not think there is enough Canon evidence for it to be honest and it is open to interpretation.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
My understanding was that since they specifically mention that the Defiant and Voyager are the only ships capable of planetary landing AND liftoff then it stands to reason that a big 'ungainly' ship like the Constitution Class wouldn't able to liftoff.

Well, they do have an out for breaks with cannon.  The events that changed the time line may have altered things a bit.  Now, a Constitution class ship surviving on the ground long enough to make it into the dark is another matter.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
Really interesting start.

I'm assuming that the WWIII that you implied explains the game's reasonable starting population.

Offline Texashawk

• T
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:14 AM »
Really interesting start.

I'm assuming that the WWIII that you implied explains the game's reasonable starting population.

Yes, and more will be revealed as we go. The war is actually pretty critical to the story.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Texashawk

• T
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »

Thruster wash, aerodynamics, structural integrity all come to mind but then I am sure there is some flux capacitor on the ship that negates of all that!  :D

I could definitely live with them making parts on the ground and shipping them into orbit for assembly but then that got me thinking off industrial replicators - why not just have them as part of the orbital dock and just fabricate everything!

I honestly do not think there is enough Canon evidence for it to be honest and it is open to interpretation.

Well, Beers, you'll be happy to know the Titania Planitia shipyard will be a hybrid space-terra yard. Makes sense with lower gravity, I thought.  ;D

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:03 AM »
Well, Beers, you'll be happy to know the Titania Planitia shipyard will be a hybrid space-terra yard. Makes sense with lower gravity, I thought.  ;D

Hope you have better planning than I had. I turned Titan into a sink estate, spend all their time plugging leaks in the habitat domes, no time to do actual productive work! ::)
IanD