Author Topic: Newtonian Aurora - Galactic Map Question  (Read 20574 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Newtonian Aurora - Galactic Map Question
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2011, 04:50:19 AM »
So there's more useful systems on the edges, while in turn, starting outwards will result in "reaching the border" sooner, where there is nothing left?
Well, game balance wise, that could be fine, but that'd seriously hurt my suspension of disbelief.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2011, 06:18:44 AM »
So there's more useful systems on the edges, while in turn, starting outwards will result in "reaching the border" sooner, where there is nothing left?
Well, game balance wise, that could be fine, but that'd seriously hurt my suspension of disbelief.

Well, not necessarily more useful systems. With regard to the fact that starting near the edge will mean you reach a border where there are no more stars - unless I create an infinite universe then there is always going to be an edge.

Steve

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2011, 06:35:41 AM »

I don't see a problem with reaching an edge, isn't this just representative of the confines of a single galaxy with stars in the next galaxy over just being too far away to be practically reachable? I guess it's just a scale piece in that you don't have all the stars in the milky way on the map?

Offline fcharton

• Chief Petty Officer
  • f
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
We're on much smaller scales here than galactic radius, unless I misunderstood something, we're talking of a 100 LY radius sphere around Sol, and a few thousand stars, compared to hundreds of billions in our galaxy.

Francois