Author Topic: The Northern Coalition (AAR)  (Read 69429 times)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: The Northern Coalition (AAR)
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2013, 04:44:15 AM »
More efficient jump drives results in more available mission space for ships that carry them. If I recall correctly NCN doctrine calls for dedicated jump tenders, so they would be the primary beneficiaries.
Ion drives, on the other hand, benefit everything that flies. Although, if you just go for the straight speed increase it offers you'll burn through your fuel reserves more quickly. Same distance-traveled-per-litre, but still more quickly.
As far as the Wolvers go in this calculus, a jump ship with a few more HS of gear is less influential than a fleet that's half-again as fast as it used to be with equally improved missiles, in my opinion.

The fuel calculus is playing a big role in the internal debate here.  Also getting a jump engine that is capable of more ships or a larger radius is for assault purposes also considered valuable.  I'll continue to mull this over as it a long range planning question more something going on in the next year.   That is filled with more efficient drives...also since they just developed them holding off ion drives gives them a chance to make most use of this investment.  It is clear that that the new missile generation will only really be a new missile when the ion drive is in place...  I guess I'll see what the situation looks like once the current round of events is over with.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »
I've only read part of it, but this is absolutely fabulous and has been an inspiration to me as well.  I find myself looking back through the thread when I read about a new system trying to figure out what 'direction' it's in, how many jumps from Sol, etc. -- when a story is that interesting to make me do that, the author's done a lot of things right :)

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
I caught up!

Now to lurk here and give questions!

No. 1 - can you go over your current installations on the colonial worlds and Earth? I wonder how big they are each.
No. 2 - could we get a map here? Long time siince the last one.
No. 3 - have you actually considered retireing some old the 'old steel'? I mean I never saw a message about the oldest ships being dismanteled (apart from the original Fairmile).
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
AD 2283 (January 1 to June 30)  Its a long, long way to Rosetta

The state of the Fuel Farm and the NCCFB were the focus of internal politics for these 6 months.  Everyone was watching to see what Commisioner Buxtdorf's future would be like.  But he stuck to his position that the farm just needed recovery time.  He pushed through changes to the way ships were laid down to prevent sudden huge drains on the farm itself but otherwise refused to back away from maintaining normal operations.  He, infact, authorised the full use of the BIC Intersteller Colonization Force for the first time in the agencies history plus the construction of two Heavy Transport Groups based on the Kingston and Whiskey classes. 

The research colony of Rosetta in Gliese 526 will get 40,000 colonists delivered by ICG V and VI.  ICG V will bring in a mine, pre-fabricated buildings sufficient for 70,000 colonists and the NCC Xenoarcheology Team.  ICG VI would bring in a construction factory, more pre-fabricated structures to increase the colonies available support to a 140,000 people and the Colonial Adminstrator Ms. Sophia Whitehouse.  ICG V departed on the 10th of January, with the round trip expected to take over 600 days, and following typical planning ICG VI departs some 90 days later.

The 1st Geosurvey team attached to the Upholder was busy during this time period.  They completed the survey of Lutetia between Feburary 23 and March 20.  Then they moved to Argentina and surveyed that asteriod from March 21st to May 25th.  They arrived on the asteroid Massalia on the 28th of May and began surveying it.  So far no resources not found in the Upholders original survey have been uncovered in the asteroid belt.

The NCN's engineering branch has been raising issues with Commadore Frazier over the Algonquin.  On active deployment for nearly 3 years, over this six month period she suffers four major maintenance failures:  her CANDU reactor, a NP E-M40S engine, her laser fire control system and barrier generator.  Overall 4 of the Rolls Royce military engines fail in this 6 month period, and the Navy sends a request to the manufacturer to check their subcontractors QM documentation.   The engineering branch points out that the whole of the 4th Squadron will need serious down time once the maintenace facilities needed to support the ships are ready.

At the end of June the farms are at the following levels:
Earth: 2.04 m litres
Faewald: 0.09 m litres
Forge:  1.64 m litres

Industrial Efforts, Earth, Sol
Primary Industrial Tasks

AD 2283 (January 25) A new research complex is finished and is turned over to Dr. Herz who starts development of enhanced target tracking algorithms (Tracking Speed: 2000 km/s)
AD 2283 (May 10) Ten Construction Factories are built to both boost Earth's production speed but also for re-location offworld.
AD 2283 (May 10) Five new Maintenance Facilities begin fabrication.  When completed ships up to 9000 tonnes can be maintained.

Secondary Industrial Tasks
AD 2283 (January 25) Infrastructure [ooc]x24[/ooc] for BIC out system colonies is finished.
AD 2283 (May 20) An older Mine is converted to teleoperated for service off earth.
AD 2283 (June 26) Infrastructure [ooc]x28[/ooc] for BIC out system colonies is finished.  The standard production run has been slightly increased to accomdate the full utilization of BICs freighter fleet.
AD 2283 (June 26) A new Fuel Refinery is started.

Missiles and Fighters
AD 2283 (January 20) Construction of 28 Javelin IIIA Anti-ship Missile ends.  These are the last missiles of this series.
AD 2283 (March 20) Construction of the first 120 of the new Falcon Counter Missile type is complete.
AD 2283 (May 1) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missiles ends.
AD 2283 (June 10) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missiles ends.
AD 2283 (June 10) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missiles begins.  Nearly 2000 of the Hawk IIB Counter Missiles are in service so the NCN plans to build up a stock of Falcon's before starting to phase them in.
AD 2283 (May 5) The first of the faster pinnance flight the Fairmile B3(EW) 001 exits the factory for space trials.

Research Developments
AD 2283 (January 10) Dr. Natasha Gray's team finishes the plans of the NCN's newest warhead (Implosion Fission Warhead: Strength: 3 x MSP) and starts work on the Falcon Counter Missile.
AD 2283 (February 10) Dr. Natasha Gray's team finishes the prototype Falcon Counter Missile and starts design of the Venom Assault Stage mine component.
AD 2283 (February 19) Dr. VíkingR Hœkillson's team completes the plans for the MAN NP CE-100i commercial engine and starts on the more fuel efficient version of the standard military engine (Rolls Royce NP E-M40Si) with the engineers of Rolls Royce.
AD 2283 (May 1) Dr. Natasha Gray's team completes the armed part of the Mk 1 mine (Venom Assault Stage) and starts development of the replacement for the standard Anti-Ship missile (Arrow Anti-ship Missile)
AD 2283 (May 20) Dr. VíkingR Hœkillson's team finishes work on the standard military engine (Rolls Royce NP E-M40Si) and starts work on the new engine intended for use on the Tribal and Enchanter classes (Rolls Royce NP E-M80Si engine).  These larger engines will give the Destroyer hulled ships a better performance through improved overall range between bunkerings at the cost of reduced top speed as few can be mounted than the smaller E-M40S now in use.

The new missiles mark the start of a new series of standard NCN missiles.  The general feeling is that until drive technology improves these inital missiles of the new generation are only modified versions of the older series.  However, once a new drive system is coupled into the missiles enhanced warhead they will truely be a different series.  The details of the new missile systems are as follows:

The Falcon Counter Missile (First of the Falcon Series)

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 12000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 3 minutes   Range: 2.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.496
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 180%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 36%   10k km/s 18%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.246x Gallicite   Fuel x25

The Arrow Anti-Ship Missile (First of the Arrow Series)

Missile Size: 5 MSP  (0.25 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 16
Speed: 12000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 17 minutes   Range: 12.0m km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 0.025    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  25,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 2.3871
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 192%   3k km/s 64%   5k km/s 38.4%   10k km/s 19.2%
Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   0.015x Boronide   0.025x Uridium   1.3471x Gallicite   Fuel x250

Advances in warhead technology return the power of the Javelin II, and the missile maintains the speed of the Javelin IIIA coupled with better avionics and terminal guidance making it a more accurate strike package.

The Venom Assault Stage (2nd Stage of the Mk 1 Mine)

Missile Size: 3 MSP  (0.15 HS)     Warhead: 2    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 12000 km/s    Engine Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 0.4m km
Thermal Sensor Strength: 0.075    Detect Sig Strength 1000:  75,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 1.3439
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 180%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 36%   10k km/s 18%
Materials Required:    0.5x Tritanium   0.045x Boronide   0.075x Uridium   0.7239x Gallicite   Fuel x5

The Venom carries a thermal guidance package able to lock onto a Wolver target at the maximum range of the missile after being released by the mine's active sensor array.

As no further fuel efficiency increase is expected the "i" rather than "e" is used in the engine nomenclature.  Propulsion development will focus on on-mount power storage, new drives and better jump engines for the next several years.

Naval Yard: Victorias-Esquimalt Graving Yard, Sol
AD 2283 (January 15) Fireweed (Flower class) finishes construction and is assigned to the Troop Transport Squadron
AD 2283 (February 30) Edinbourgh (Edinbourgh class) never leaves her slip and instead immediatly begin a refit to the new Mod1 standard.
AD 2283 (March 5) Hippogriff (Gargoyle class) the last of the authorised Gargoyle class ships is complete and is assigned to the Troop Transport Squadron.
AD 2283 (June 15) Edinbourgh (Edinbourgh Mod1 class) finishes refit to the latest Mod 1 standard.

Edinbourgh Mod1 class Support Vessel    4,500 tons     74 Crew     426.15 BP      TCS 90  TH 147  EM 180
2177 km/s     Armour 1-24     Shields 6-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 0
Maint Life 22.69 Years     MSP 1237    AFR 40%    IFR 0.6%    1YR 5    5YR 69    Max Repair 22 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Spare Berths 2   
Magazine 104   

Rolls Royce NP E-M28Si (7)    Power 28    Fuel Use 27.26%    Signature 21    Exp 7%
Fuel Capacity 650,000 Litres    Range 95.3 billion km   (506 days at full power)
GE Barrier A119 (6)   Total Fuel Cost  54 Litres per day

Falcon Counter Missile (44)  Speed: 12,000 km/s   End: 2.8m    Range: 2m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 60 / 36 / 18
Arrow Anti-Ship Missile (12)  Speed: 12,000 km/s   End: 16.6m    Range: 12m km   WH: 4    Size: 5    TH: 64 / 38 / 19

Seimens SCMS Extra Vigilant 52/3-0050 (1)     GPS 23     Range 1.1m km    Resolution 1
NorTEL IR Array 0-3 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km
Bell Phased Array P3-15 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Naval Yard: Deschimag A.G. Weser, Sol
AD 2283 (June 21) A third slipway is added to the yard.  The yard now begins re-tooling for the Enchanter Class Jump Ship.

Civillian Yard:  Robert Napier and Son's Ltd., Sol
AD 2283 (March 20) Retooling for Petrol (EE) class is ended.
AD 2283 (May 20) Gasorin (Petrol (HP) class) exits her slip and is dispached to Jupiter to join FHG VII.  She arrives on June 4th.
AD 2283 (May 25) Black Gold (Petrol (HP) class) finishes construction and is dispatched to Jupiter to complete the complement of FHG VII.   She arrives on station on June 9th.

The (EE) or Ehanced Efficiency Class of the Petrol and Loch harvesters is a simple replacement of their drive package with the new MAN civilian engines.  Flight performance is unaltered but range is significantly extended.  It is unlikely any existing harvesters will be refit to the new standard as it is more critical in BICs view to get the yard freed up to allow the refits of the ICGs when the new engnes are available for them.

Petrol (EE) class Fuel Harvester    28,250 tons     159 Crew     629.5 BP      TCS 565  TH 300  EM 0
530 km/s     Armour 1-82     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
MSP 70    Max Repair 30 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 0   
Fuel Harvester: 9 modules producing 252000 litres per annum

MAN NP CE-100i (3)    Power 100    Fuel Use 9.28%    Signature 100    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 20.6 billion km   (448 days at full power)

Seimens Civ Navi 2M/5000 (1)     GPS 500     Range 2.5m km    Resolution 100
NorTEL Civ IR Telescope (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Loch (EE) class Fuel Harvester Jump Capable    28,250 tons     159 Crew     564.5 BP      TCS 565  TH 300  EM 0
530 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-82     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
MSP 62    Max Repair 55 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 0   
Fuel Harvester: 5 modules producing 140000 litres per annum

CJX 2-600     Max Ship Size 30000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
MAN NP CE-100i (3)    Power 100    Fuel Use 9.28%    Signature 100    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 20.6 billion km   (448 days at full power)

Seimens Civ Navi 2M/5000 (1)     GPS 500     Range 2.5m km    Resolution 100
NorTEL Civ IR Telescope (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Civillian Operations in Sol

AD 2283 (February 19) The supply of Corbomite on Van Biesbroeck has been exhausted.
AD 2283 (March 20) The civilian mining colony on Van Biesbroeck has been expanded to 6 civilian mining complexes.
AD 2283 (April 15) The supply of Sorium on Haumea has been exhausted.

Northern Coalition Army

AD 2283 (June 21) The Faewald Peacekeeper Detachment completes training in Wainwright.  Col. L. Harvey and her troops will be transported to Faewald by the "Ceylon Transport Group" consisting of the TT Ceylon, TJ Fireweed and SV Edinbourgh.  The new recruits for the Rosetta Peacekeeper Detachment arrive soon after the graduation ceremony is completed and begin their training.  The Army will deploy the Peacekeepers plus two mobile infantry batallions, as soon they finish training, to Rosetta then complete the mobile infantry battalion intended for the Faewald demi-brigade.

BIC Operations in Alpha Centauri

The arrival on the 8th of January of ICG I brings a major load of prefabricated colonial housing and life support component to the colony but it still is insufficient to bring the amount available over the requirements of the colony though it does narrow the gap.  ICG I leaves on January 30, and on the 16th of Febuary FHG I arrives in Faewald orbit with crew looking forward to shore leave and nearly a ful load of fuel for the colonies farm.  FHG I stay until the 1st of April and then returns to the gas giant newly christained Doineann, resuming harvesting and refining operations on the 7th.  ICG IV arrives in Faewald orbit on the 2nd of May with a load of more pre-fabricated components for the colony expansion plus a new factory for its industrial park.  The colonies industrial park during this time period turns out sufficient housing and lifesupport for nearly 40,000 people [ooc]Infrastructure x11[/ooc] but the colonies population is still greater than the lifesupport systems designed value by some 80,000 people by the end of June.  The colonists during this time period rename the various planets of the Alpha C system that are used by them.  Alpha C II becomes Banshee due to the wailing noises the mines teleoperators hear during their shift.  The sounds are coming from interference from the planets atmosphere on the signals from the satilites to the ground station.  Alpha C IV becomes Calheme, this planet is the next settlement target for BIC once Faewald's industry is built up more to assist in the process.  The gas giant Alpha C V which is currently being harvested for fuel is re-named Doineann.

BIC Operations in AD Leonis

Forges traffic control is now in standard operation mode as FHGs are shuttled back and forth giving the crews a break and filling the colonies often drawn upon fuel farm.  January 5th sees FHG III return to refining operations, while FHG V spends from May 10 to June 16 in Forge orbit.  On their way outbound in March 3rd Squadron stops in to refuel.  In May 1st Squadron plus Alpha and Beta Grav Survey Missions rebunker from Forge.  So too does ICG V and VI on their way to Rosetta.  Without the rebunkering at Forge the trip to Rosetta would be impossible as it exceeds the round trip capacity of the ships.  Sick of calling it AD Leonis II the winner of the "name that planet" contest is "Deeper Sky" and the charts are updated with that name.  With 4 FHGs available in system it is possible to keep a group harvesting until their tanks are an average of 85-90+% full, meaning the fuel farm grows by over 500,000 litres every 3 months or so. 

Outsystem Survey Efforts and Naval Operations

In early April 3rd Squadron are in LHS 292 on the way to relieve the ships of the 1st Squadron, last reported to be in Gliese 526.  The ships of IS I contact them as they are nearing the jump point to FL Virginis and 3rd Squadron diverts to the last unexplored jump point in LHS 292.   1st Squadron waits until the two grav survey missions join them at the jump point to FL Virginis and then the whole group starts back for Earth.  Both the NCN and BuSurvey ships are in need of both overhauls for the ships but also R&R for the crews.  The Oberon's crews have been in deep space at this point for over 20 months.  On the way through LHS 292 the Navy squadron commanders exchange radio messages and the official relieving of responsibility occurs.  The ships of 1st Squadron and the survey missions arrive back in Earth orbit on June 29th.

Gliese 526

As predicted the two grav survey missions complete their gravitational survey of the system containing Rosetta witout finding additional jump points.  This is dissapointing but the grav survey ships are now reaching the end of their mission endurance and so must head back to earth.  The ships of IS I are already moving to the last open jump point in LHS 292.

AD 2283 (March 26) Gravitational survey completed in the Gliese 526 system. The system has a total of 1 jump points

LHS 292

While the ships of 3rd Squadron move to the last un-explored jump point in this system Intersteller Survey I detours to the comets 9 and 12.  The two ships quickly complete their mineral surveys of them before joining the Navy at the jump point on April 19.

AD 2283 (April 12) An exploration of a jump point in the LHS 292 system has revealed the new system of Luytens Star
AD 2283 (April 12) Minerals Discovered on LHS 292-A Comet #9: Duranium 56,562 (1)  Tritanium 7,629 (1)  Mercassium 1,861 (0.9)  Corundium 316 (0.9) 
AD 2283 (April 15) Minerals Discovered on LHS 292-A Comet #12: Boronide 6,302 (0.7)  Sorium 14,766 (0.7)  Uridium 17,330 (0.9)  Corundium 15,552 (0.8 ) 

Luytens Star

The quick jump probe by the navy reveals the system consists of:  2 terrestrial worlds, 3 gas giants, a super jovan and a dwarf planet.   The jump point is almost exactly 1 billion km from the primary at a bearing of 111°.  The inner two worlds are terrestrial: the innermost a nearly 2-G venus type world, while the other is not much different than Mars although somewhat colder and with no detectable atmosphere.  A gas giant with 9 moons, a super jovan with 26 moons, and another gas giant with 13 moons one of which is a Io type terrestrial moon follow.  A dwarf planet with a single moon and a gas giant with 9 moons are the last two planets in the system.  The ships of 3rd Squadron remain at the entrance jump point while the two BuSurvey ships split.  The George Vancouver will start the gravitational survey of the system focusing on the inner 6 locations while the SC Path Finder starts inward to probe the system for alien presence, and as was the case in Gliese 526 no aliens are found but also no remarkable finds either.  The SC Path Finder starts geological surveys of the planets and moons.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »
From Alphapiomega:

[No. 1 - can you go over your current installations on the colonial worlds and Earth? I wonder how big they are each.
No. 2 - could we get a map here? Long time siince the last one.
No. 3 - have you actually considered retireing some old the 'old steel'? I mean I never saw a message about the oldest ships being dismanteled (apart from the original Fairmile). /quote]

In 2285 I will do a summary of the current economic situation of the NC.  The short form is that most of the economic power is on Earth.
I will add a map to the next update which will be rather soon as I have the log file I just to put it order (current game time is april of 2284).
The Navy would love to retire the "light" frigates as they are not really considered effective combat vessels.  However...the new vessels have rather heavy fuel footprints.  As the older ones are significantly less so the Navy is not allowed to retire them.  The argument that the heavy frigates bring considerably more firepower to the table has been met by the NCCFB reports on their operational cost to the farm.  The Navy would love to decomission them and build more Wounded Knee Squadrons, at the moment though the economics don't support that move.

Bryan thank you very much for saying so, glad you are enjoying it. 

Offline Brainsucker

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • B
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
just an idea for the serial production like missile and fighter. In the real world, the serial production will follow of a schedule that we call as "batch". Each "batch" quantity is around 50 (or whatever you like). It just like what US do when they are producing fighters. Like the first batch of F16, will be called F-16 batch 1, F-16 batch 2, etc.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
AD 2283 (July 1 to December 30) Things Are A Mov'n

The second half of 2283 expanded on the efforts started in the first part of the year.  There was a sense or mood on Earth that this year marked if not exactly a new start, at least the start of the end of the first steps to the stars that humanity had taken earlier.  BIC's freighter fleet is for the first time fully utilized as settlement on Biforst in FL Virginis begins.  The Civillian harvesters at Jupiter are tapped to fuel the Edinbourgh's, the Tribal's of 4th Squadron and the returning ships of the Ceylon Transport Group.

The 1st Geosurvey team completes the survey of the asteroid Massala on July 22 finding nothing new.  They start the survey of the asteroid Lamberta on July 28, pausing between October 24 and Novemember 3 to let the Upholder's crew have shore leave and resuming the survey of Lamberta on November 26.

On July 20, 5th Squadron arrives at the jump point to Wolf 359 and relieves the 4th Squadron which begins fleet excersizes before returning to Earth to start what will be a long time spent doing maintenance overhauls, especially for the Algonquin which will have around 3 years on its maintenance clock when it arrives in Earth orbit.  In November the NCN design Bureau starts work on the Mod 1 upgrade for the Enchanter and Tribal classes.

On the 26th October, during night manuevers the command vehicle for the Fighting Second Bn rolls when a road embankment crumbles and Colonel GlöggR Rauðison and three of the CIC's other personel are killed in the accident. Colonel Harrison Willis takes over command of the battalion.  Lack of maintenance due to the hectic pace of training at Camp Wainwright is eventually blamed for the accident.  The main political fall out of this is that the expansion of the NCA's training facilities is locked into the future budget of the NCC.  There is limited political impact to this; however, as the Opposition had supported the budgets and planning that were behind the events leading to the accident.

The NCCFB reports 3.33 million litres of fuel present in the farm at the end of the year.  This is a level that has not been seen in years if not decades.  Arguments are made that it so high because the Edinbourgh class ships are not fully fueled but the NCC states they will fill them from the civillian harvesters in Sol and keep the fuel for more urgent operational needs and other new construction.  Every report on the issue of fuel production gives the primary reason for the improved state of the farm as the existance of the Fuel Harvesting Groups which have substantially reduced the demand on the farm at Earth.

Industrial Efforts, Earth, Sol
Primary Industrial Tasks
2283 (July 17) Five Maintenance Facilities are constructed (ships up to 9000 Tonnes can be serviced)
2283 (September 8 ) A Terraforming Installation is built and a civillian transport contract to move it to Mars is let out.
2283 (September 8 ) The refit of the ICBM base Fort Brandon to the latest Fort Rostock standard begins.

Secondary Industrial Tasks
2283 (September 30) A new Fuel Refinery is finished (annual fuel production is now 3.81 m litres)
2283 (November 12) Colonial lifesupport systems and housing modules [ooc]Infrastructure x28[/ooc] for BIC offworld colonies is prefabricated
2283 (November 12) Conversion of an older Mine to teleoperated begins.

Missiles and Fighters
2283 (July 17) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missile ends.
2283 (August 24) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missile ends.
2283 (October 5) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missile ends.
2283 (November 17) Construction of 120 Falcon Counter Missile ends.
2283 (November 17) Construction of 48 Arrow Anti-Ship Missile begins.
2283 (September 30) Fairmile B3(EW) 002 completes its factory trials and joins the NCN navy.

Research Developments
2283 (September 19) Dr. Natasha Gray's team submits the Arrow Anti-ship Missile plans to the Naval Ordinance Board and switches over to development of the Mk 1 Mine.
2283 (November 17) Dr. VíkingR Hœkillson's team with engineers from Rolls Royce finish the prototype of the largest human military engine the NP E-M80Si and design of the replacement for the standard freighter drive system (MAN NP CE-200 engine) begins.
2283 (November 28) Dr. KnæikiR Hólmkellson's team developes the first mobile Terraforming Module and begin efforts determine how to speed up the process itself (Terraforming Rate 0.0015 atm per year).

The Mk 1 Mine

Missile Size: 5 MSP  (0.25 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s    Engine Endurance: 0 minutes   Range: 0.0m km
Active Sensor Strength: 0.6   Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Resolution: 60    Maximum Range vs 3000 ton object (or larger): 230,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 2.3039
Second Stage: Venom Assault Stage x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 1 minutes   Overall Range: 0.4m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%
Materials Required:    0.5x Tritanium   0.405x Boronide   0.675x Uridium   0.7239x Gallicite   Fuel x5

The Mk 1 mine is intended to provide jump point security.  It can easily detect a Wolver warship and that will trigger the launch of the Venom Assault Stage which will home in on the targets thermal signature.

Naval Yard: Victorias-Esquimalt Graving Yard, Sol
2283 (July 17) Alexandria (Edinbourgh class) finishes construction but like the Edinbourgh immediately begins refit to the Mod 1 standard.
2283 (September 24) Alexandria (Edinbourgh Mod1 class) finishes refit.
2283 (November 28) Dundee (Edinbourgh Mod1 class) exits the yard.

Naval Yard: Deschimag A.G. Weser, Sol
2283 (July 28) Retooling for Enchanter class is done and the Enchanter starts construction.  The Navy revises downward their expected time before the Tribals can deploy out of Sol by nearly 6 months.

Enchanter class Jump Ship    9,000 tons     218 Crew     1033.9 BP      TCS 180  TH 330  EM 270
2444 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 2-38     Shields 9-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 7.14
Maint Life 2.95 Years     MSP 359    AFR 129%    IFR 1.8%    1YR 61    5YR 922    Max Repair 158 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Flight Crew Berths 10   
Hangar Deck Capacity 250 tons     Magazine 20   

Saab JA3-180     Max Ship Size 9000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Rolls Royce NP E-M40S (11)    Power 40    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 30    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 620,000 Litres    Range 16.3 billion km   (77 days at full power)
GE Barrier A119 (9)   Total Fuel Cost  81 Litres per day

TorAr Goaltender Laser Array (1x1)    Range 30,000km     TS: 10000 km/s     Power 3-1     RM 1    ROF 15        3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Grundig Sureshot Mk1-25/20X  BFC (1)    Max Range: 40,000 km   TS: 2500 km/s     75 50 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
CANDU AHW 6MW (1)     Total Power Output 6    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Falcon Counter Missile (10)  Speed: 12,000 km/s   End: 2.8m    Range: 2m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 60 / 36 / 18
Arrow Anti-Ship Missile (2)  Speed: 12,000 km/s   End: 16.6m    Range: 12m km   WH: 4    Size: 5    TH: 64 / 38 / 19

Seimens SSS 53-3000 (1)     GPS 1800     Range 11.6m km    Resolution 60
Seimens SCMS Super Vigilant 53/3-0050 (1)     GPS 33     Range 1.6m km    Resolution 1
NorTEL IR Array 0-3 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km
Bell Phased Array P3-15 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km

Strike Group
1x Fairmile B3(EW) Pinnace   Speed: 2790 km/s    Size: 4.3

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Civillian Operations in Sol
2283 (July 17) The civilian mining colony on Neujmin has been expanded to 8 civilian mining complexes.
2283 (August 13) The civilian mining colony on Haumea has been expanded to 9 civilian mining complexes.
2283 (August 29) Dillahunt Container Line has launched a new Dillahunt H2 class Fuel Harvester.  The NCCFB expresses their gratitude, and actively urges other shipping firms to do so as well.
2283 (September 14) The civilian mining colony on Reinmuth has been expanded to 10 civilian mining complexes.

BIC Operations in Alpha Centauri

The colonies expanded industrial park turns out over this six month period sufficient construction materials, and life support components for a further 50,000 people [ooc]Infrastructurex15[/ooc] but still can't equal the growth of the demand.  On July 19 the ships of ICG II arrive, and they depart for Earth on the 13th of August.  The ships of FHG II spend from July 24 to September 4 in Faewald orbit and are back at Doinaenn on September 9 to resume harvesting.  The Faewald Peacekeeper Detachment completes its transfer from the Ceylon on September 22.  The ships of the Ceylon Transport Group their transport task finished refuel from the Edinbourgh and then set off for Earth.  The ships of ICG III spend from October 26 to November 17 in Faewald orbit before starting the journey back to Earth.  At the end of the year the colonies farm is at 0.02 m litres.

BIC Operations in AD Leonis

Forge's traffic control see's traffic from Interstellar Survey II in mid August.  FHG VI spend from September 30 to November 12 in Forge orbit.  FHG arrives for R&R on November 18.  ICG VI and ICG VII pass through the system in both cases stopping off at Forge to bunker their fuel tanks.  By the end of the year the farm still has 2.48 m litres of fuel so even accounting for the expected draw of 1.5 m from ICG V and ICG VI arriving back from Rosetta essentially with empty tanks the farm's situation looks good.

Outsystem Survey Efforts and Naval Operations

Luytens Star
Despite the promise implied by its many system bodies Luyten's star yields a disappointly small bounty of TN minerals.  IS II departs the system on September 12 heading for Gliese 505.  The outer system gravitational survey stil needs to be completed but it is hard not to view the system as a major dissapointment.

2283 (August 2) Minerals Discovered on Luytens Star-A V: Sorium 410,000 (0.9) 
2283 (August 6) Minerals Discovered on Luytens Star-A VII - Moon 4: Neutronium 384,400 (0.6) 
2283 (August 23) Minerals Discovered on Luytens Star-A Comet #3: Neut 7,985 (1)  Corb 6,149 (0.9)  Boron 87 (0.7)  Merc 2,651 (0.9)  Vend 11,542 (0.9)  Urid 9,700 (0.9)  Gall 6,158 (0.9) 

Gliese 505
3rd Squadron establishes a naval presence at the entrance jump point to this system from FL Virginis on September 22.  IS II enters the system on September 27 and splits to allow the Voyageur (Scout class) to probe the systems two planets: a small gas giant orbiting so close to the systems dim primary as to preclude moons and the slightly larger gas gaint with its 18 moons.  A further ~200 asteroids orbit this pair.  The survey specialists are dubious given the so far observed low chance for finding TN minerals on asteroids.  The James Cook (George Vancouver Class) proceeds to start surveying for further jump points, with the plan to rejoin the Voyager when it has completed the inner system jump point survey.

2283 (November 28) Minerals Discovered on Gliese 505-A II - Moon 8: Tritanium 56,169 (0.9) 
2283 (December 18) Minerals Discovered on Gliese 505-A Asteroid #31: Uridium 7,465 (1) 
2283 (December 19) Minerals Discovered on Gliese 505-A Asteroid #57: Corbomite 1,714 (1)  Uridium 4,199 (1) 

Gliese 526
The first-in colonists for Rosetta arrive on ICG V on December 14.  The NCC Xenoarcheology team will establish a base camp at the ruins and then start their initial survey in January.  The colony "Roswell" is established on the shore of a shallow inland sea several hundred kilometers from the ruined city and for the first time the colonists will not need more than breathing gear to venture outside.  The methane in the atmosphere makes determining the location of leaks also far less difficult and the science component of the colony is eager to start testing for extraterrestrial life.  Jokes are being made about large sand worms in the deep desert. 

FL Virginis
The initial target of BICs efforts in this system is the inner planet of the A component.  Named Biforst, due to being viewed as the "bridge" to the stars beyond the first colonists, pre-fabed colony support and housing materials, the equipment to establish a mine, and Colonial Administrator Mr. Chang Cayouette are loaded into the ships of ICG VII and depart Earth orbit on September 20.  A further 20,000 colonists, more colonial housing and support pre-fabs and the tools for a factory are loaded into ICG VIII and leave Earth orbit on December 20.  FHG VII will also depart for this system once the ships have both sufficient fuel as well as have completed R&R.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
just an idea for the serial production like missile and fighter. In the real world, the serial production will follow of a schedule that we call as "batch". Each "batch" quantity is around 50 (or whatever you like). It just like what US do when they are producing fighters. Like the first batch of F16, will be called F-16 batch 1, F-16 batch 2, etc.

The pinnances are in flights so A Flight or B Flight and then a number for the specific model A1 or B3 etc.  The missiles are sort of like that...Hawk, Hawk (I), Hawk II, Hawk IIB...but hmmm batch might work better.  Just a note for accuracy of reading the Hawk (I) that is Hawk "Improved" not roman numeral 1.  The II is roman numeral 2 though.

There usually is a schedual of production:  the Falcons are planned for around 2200 to be produced.  That is based on how many of the previous series of missile are in service.

Offline Brainsucker

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • B
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
The pinnances are in flights so A Flight or B Flight and then a number for the specific model A1 or B3 etc.  The missiles are sort of like that...Hawk, Hawk (I), Hawk II, Hawk IIB...but hmmm batch might work better.  Just a note for accuracy of reading the Hawk (I) that is Hawk "Improved" not roman numeral 1.  The II is roman numeral 2 though.

There usually is a schedual of production:  the Falcons are planned for around 2200 to be produced.  That is based on how many of the previous series of missile are in service.

oh I'm sorry. "Batch" is not a designation. F-16 still has F-16 A/B, F-16 C/D, F-16 E/F, or they call it F-16 block 32, F-16 block 52, F-16 block 62, etc. "Batch" is... how I said.... It is hard to say it in English as I'm not a native English Speaker.... It is like a production plan / production line / serialization production / something like that. For example, you need 500 Hawk II AMM (Anti Missile Missile), the first production of your Hawk II AMM will be 100 missiles. That is your first batch. You can call it the first batch of Hawk II AMM. After it finished, you can improve the missile or still use the same version to build the next batch of your Hawk II AMM. Just like that. It just like the Pakistan JF-17. China gives them 50 JF-17. They call it, the first batch of JF-17. After that finished, Pakistan improve their JF-17 and at the next production of another 50 JF-17, they call it the second batch of JF-17 or JF-17 batch 2. It is not JF-17A or JF-17S or something; but still the JF-17, because it is still in within the original plan of how many JF-17 that Pakistan want to build it. although they improve the avionic and radar, etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:37:23 PM by Brainsucker »

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
I'm curious about one thing.  There are 7 jump points in Sol, but according to the map you've only actually used three of them? 

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2013, 04:04:38 AM »
The other 4 jump points are too far outsystem to be realistically exploited.  It already takes about 100 days for an ICG to go from Earth to the jump point to Alpha C, which is between the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn.

With Ion drives the situation will be revisited I think 1 or 2 more jump points open up at that point.  To the NC "Sol" is everything inside the orbit of Jupiter baring some automines on some rocks out by Pluto.

It is approximately the same time to go from Earth to the jump point to Alpha C as from Earth to Forge (I need to check but I'm fairly sure this is correct) for an ICG.

ICGs move at 334 km/s.  Fuel Harvesting Groups move at 530 km/s.  Interstellar Surveys cruise at 1244 km/s.  Squadrons 1-3 usually travel at 1866 km/s (the speed of the protecteur resupply vessels).  Troop Transport groups are limited to 933 km/s.

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »
The other 4 jump points are too far outsystem to be realistically exploited.  It already takes about 100 days for an ICG to go from Earth to the jump point to Alpha C, which is between the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn.

With Ion drives the situation will be revisited I think 1 or 2 more jump points open up at that point.  To the NC "Sol" is everything inside the orbit of Jupiter baring some automines on some rocks out by Pluto.

It is approximately the same time to go from Earth to the jump point to Alpha C as from Earth to Forge (I need to check but I'm fairly sure this is correct) for an ICG.

ICGs move at 334 km/s.  Fuel Harvesting Groups move at 530 km/s.  Interstellar Surveys cruise at 1244 km/s.  Squadrons 1-3 usually travel at 1866 km/s (the speed of the protecteur resupply vessels).  Troop Transport groups are limited to 933 km/s.

Paul, this seems like an error in the tactical analysis of the Navy which woudn't really fly in the real world - and that is what you are going for.

The jump points are like the open door into the Solar System. Even if only one ship was dispatched and went through the jump points to see the other side and if there are hostiles there, they would do it to know their overall tactical situation. I mean why would they ignore the other jump points if they already know there are hostiles out there? What if there is a large army massing up at the ignored jump point? You don't have to colonize it but a survey ship should definitely be dispatched to see the other side!
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2013, 07:50:04 AM »
Paul, this seems like an error in the tactical analysis of the Navy which woudn't really fly in the real world - and that is what you are going for.

The jump points are like the open door into the Solar System. Even if only one ship was dispatched and went through the jump points to see the other side and if there are hostiles there, they would do it to know their overall tactical situation. I mean why would they ignore the other jump points if they already know there are hostiles out there? What if there is a large army massing up at the ignored jump point? You don't have to colonize it but a survey ship should definitely be dispatched to see the other side!

First of all I agree with what you are saying in principle.  In the best of all worlds what you say is what should have happened.  What did happen though was the Wolvers, and the fuel crissis.  The Wolvers focused attention away from the outer Sol jump points to Wolf 359-Sol and then to the other two as remaining easy expansion routes, I don't think it was as clear as it could have been how much Alpha C was not the perfered first colony system...it was a long long long long trip.  The fuel crissis hit BuSurvey's mission planning hard especially before the refits and such occured which expanded the Amundson's range.  The George Vancouver and Scout combo can now do the survey missions you suggest but the SOP is that Navy does first transits, so you would have to bring a Navy Squadron there, plus the BuSurvey ships and more likely than not one of the Petrocan Tankers.  This now puts the mission up there in the complex and costly to undertake catagory.

Still knowing what is there is good...or is it?  Every time you jump you are balancing risk and reward.  Risk you run into something bad...versus the possible reward of an exploitable system.  Add in bureaucratic inertia and the situation gets more complex.  Authorizing a mission means authorizing the fuel expenditure...and that means political approval and so forth.  I suspect there have been lots of junior officers requesting missions to explore the last 4 jump points and I'm sure they got back perfunctory to elaborate reasons why it not "currently feasable."

As for the Navy's tactical situation...that hardly changes.  The official NCN strategic vision is that to fight near the bases of Earth is the only way they can be assured to win against the Wolvers.  The ships on the Wolf359-Sol jump point are mainly there to attrit the enemy and provide early warning.  The NCN is looking at the new ships, the new missiles and re-evaluating things.  The NCN would like to "deal with" Wolf 359...that has a higher priority then exploring jump points at the very edge of their ships range.

I think you can sum up the over all reason they haven't been probed as "they are hard to get to" or "they are a long way away."  Out of sight, out of mind also plays a big role with the player...my Sol map ends at the orbit of jupiter and frankly I tend to forget the other jump points exist.  But at the same time I have to admit that "proding sleeping dragons" has never struck me as sensible given that I have the Wolvers already on my plate.

I can say that they will show up in the narative soon-ish due to the situation that is developing.  I also can say that if they had been closer in they would have been probed by now so your statement is completely correct.  Also if the rampaging alien slimedevils are found there is likely to be heads rolling over the "failure to have surveyed the jump points in a proactive manner" or whatever.  I can also say that after the refits to the ships (which adds around 2 billion km range in general to the military ships) at least the next nearest jump point becomes a lot more attractive.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »
A few ultra-range drone buoys to park on the jump point might not be remiss. Though considering the overall shortage of research facilities it's understandable that the engine necessary for such a missile would get lost in the shuffle

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »
The NCN has "comm/sensor buoys" now so it would be possible to send a ship out to launch one on each of the jump points.  And I must admit the reasons for doing so are becoming harder and harder to ignore.  You will see the buoys in the next update.  I'll add in the debate since it is a logical thing to do...as it was said by Alphapiomega knowing the evil horde is on the way before they reach the orbit of jupiter is probably a good thing.

Fundamentally, thinking on this more I would say that the current time is about the first time when it was at all logistically possible to consider probeing the jump points.

Just for information:

Jump Point   Distance   Bearing
1                     0.5         106 (Laland 85113)
2                     0.8         277 (Wolf 359)
3                     3.1         23 (Alpha Centauri)
4                     3.9         8
5                     4.2         152
6                     5.3         308
7                     5.9         151

distances are in billions of km.

Jump Point 4, 5 are probably now within reasonable range of the NCN ships after they are refit with the latest engines.  The refit Terrier series has a range of 9 billion km.  The George Vacouver Mod1 refit has a range of 44 billion km so the BuSurvey ships are not the issue.   The Wounded Knee series after their refit will have 18 billion km range. 

Arguments against not doing something are starting to fall under the wheels of progress it looks like.