Author Topic: The Northern Coalition (AAR)  (Read 69301 times)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: The Northern Coalition (AAR)
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2013, 11:09:53 AM »
Did you ever work out how fast the wolver missiles travelled? I'd be wary of using a chunk of your lasers in area defence mode if those missiles have the potential to travel through your engagement envelope in a single tick, especially if you are going to spread out your ships.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2013, 02:11:30 AM »
Did you ever work out how fast the wolver missiles travelled? I'd be wary of using a chunk of your lasers in area defence mode if those missiles have the potential to travel through your engagement envelope in a single tick, especially if you are going to spread out your ships.

The Wolver ship killer missiles have a speed of 10K km/s (more or less).  The plan (assuming I can get it to work) will have the DDs spread out at 5000 km intervals in a line abreast formation.  Trailing them on either side at 50K km (at 30°) are the Frigate battlegroups.  Leading them at 198K km (at +-7.6°) are 2 pinnances.  This should produce a missile detection envelope of ~250,000 km.  The Falcon CMs are faster than Wolver missiles and I should be able to get in two launches (not from the same launcher) so each salvo of 3 inbound ship killers can be engaged 3v1 twice in the time it takes them to close the distance.  After that the ship targeted by the missiles (once I know who it is) will switch to mode 1 point defence on its DPPD lasers, and the others will remain in mode 4.  As the ships shields can take a single missile hit I think the plan should work.  I'm hoping the CMs stop the missiles and the lasers are tasked only with mop up operations.  I'm basically relying on mass rather than accuracy.

The Gen II DPPD turrets and associated fire controls will be far far more effective...but for the moment the NCN is mainly trying to see if they can get this concept to work in the field.

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »
Yes it is.  The real question is how effective are the missiles.  At the moment the NCN is assuming around a 25% chance to hit for the ship killers but they are unsure what defensive systems the Wolvers use.  That gives the result that 4 missiles per salvo are likely to hit before accounting for defences.  Leading to:  8 missiles per armour layer (in reality with "re-binning" you get faster penetration).  There is a good chance the TG's full AS inventory is necessary to kill a single Wolver ship.  The CMs should be finally effective with around a 60% 3v1 interception proability.  But even the lasers should be a lot more useful.  2 in final fire mode, and 6 in area defence mode will give a high chance of stopping the inbound (around 60%).

But the key thing is to see how everything functions to allow the next generation ships to improve.  The next gen laser fire control system will be much improved and will have a PDC and ship varient.  In both cases the tracking speed will be a lot closer to what the turrets actually are capable of and the turrets themselves should be smaller and firing more rapidly.  Lastly the C1 pinnances are capable of recovering lifepods efficiently so crews won't be abandoned regardless how the battle goes.

What I am not looking forward to is all the fiddle faddle of splitting up the TG into ships and deploying them via the follow system.  I'm also not sure that will do with syncronized firing.

It would be easier (HINT HINT) with a real formation editor!

The entire inventory against one ship? Holy cow that seems quite excessive. Wouldn't it be preferable than to mine the jump points and plant some other defenses there rather than pursue such task? I don't think NCN's ordinance factories can keep up. Especially now when you have the Gallacite crunch on your back.
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:33 AM »
The entire inventory against one ship? Holy cow that seems quite excessive. Wouldn't it be preferable than to mine the jump points and plant some other defenses there rather than pursue such task? I don't think NCN's ordinance factories can keep up. Especially now when you have the Gallacite crunch on your back.

The TG's entire ready inventory, which is 200 Arrow missiles.  That is 5 months of production...and 500 Gallacite (which is ~1.5 years worth at the current mining rate).  The Edinburoughs have another 80 or so Arrows onboard.  If the Wolver DD has 24 columns of armour and 3 layers it will take 8 missiles per layer to remove it (ignoring re-binning) that requires 32 missiles fired per armour layer (ignoring anti-missile defences).  So a total of 100 missiles just to scrub its armour away.  If it has 100 HTK internal that is 25 missiles more to destroy it, factoring in the hit chance that is a further 100 missiles.  That is roughtly 200 missiles in the worst case.  I'm ignoring the penetration bonuses and so on, I should run my spread sheet a few times and see what a more reasonable number is but then it becomes a question of the ships active defences so probably the worst case is not so far off reality.

If it is worst case they will be stopped at Phase 1.  But as far as the NCN is concerned they still accomplish their primary goal which is field testing their new ships and missiles before the next wave of research goes to system development rather than theoretical things. 

Offline Brainsucker

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • B
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2013, 05:27:30 AM »
is it died? I'm waiting for new update

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »
Not dead, but Starslayer has hit me with the Starfire Campaign Hammer and I need to find some time to play out the operation further.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
[ooc]A small problem has arrisen...the enemy is withdrawing as 3-5 to 5 times as fast as my ships can move....and I am stuck in 15 second turns.  But you can see the tactical display of Commadore Morgenrot below.   The tactical planning of the NCN assigned this as the lowest possible chance in terms of enemy response.  [/ooc]

Offline Brainsucker

• B
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »
I can't wait to read the story of this battle. But, I can't give any ideas or suggestions as I'm more newbie than the writer.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Are you setting your task groups to follow the wolvers? They may be updating for those moving so could try a waypoint instead. Also assume you don't have any fire controls assigned? Were you getting the 15 sec interrupts as soon as you jumped in or a little later?

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2013, 05:57:45 AM »
All is ok now, the enemy stopped their inexplicable withdrawl and turned to engage...the first inbound missle has been detected at range of 310k km from the ship launching CMs.  Now I'm at 5s turns.  The forces are currently 45 million km appart.   

The main task force is heading for a conviently located jump point.   At the moment my fire controls are not assigned to specific targets because they have a range of only 10 million km against the Wolvers jamming.  I actually got the 15 s interupts much later...but after a while they stopped and I was able to go up to 5 min intervals...then 2 min intervals but now we are at 5s intervals as I lost something like 80,000 km of detection range.

Below is a close up of the NCN pre-battle formation (you can't see the pinnances at this scale) and it took several itterations of the angle and range to get it halfways like what I wanted.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »
AD 2286 September 12-23 OPERTATION HATTRICK

September 12 0300 Sol Jumppoint to Wolf 359

Task Group 2 was assembled on the jump point the ships divided into groups around the available Enchanter Jump Ship and Flower Jump Tenders.  Unlike in the past the number of ships and jump capable vessels was matched and the whole force would jump together.  TG CO Commadore Peter Morgenrot sat in the bridge of the Commanche the Tribal class destroyer current the flag ship of the Task Group and lead ship of 4th Squadron Battlegroup.
"All ships, make ready for jump, syncronized jump signal sent.  Task Group authorized to jump.  See you on the other side ladies and gentlemen."  His voice echoed in his suits helmet.  He switched the display and watched the count down.

The engineers on the jump ships had timed things well and 9 openings in normal space were made and stabilized and the jump ships followed their combat siblings through in the largest mass jump in human history.  All 18 human ships appeared in Wolf 359 an infintismal time later scattered around the jump point.

"Passives are clear sir! No hostile contacts."  The sensor operator's voice cut in on Peter Morgenrot's helmet speakers.  His threat plot was updating showing the positions of his newly arrived force from the IR signature of their engines and the output of their shields.  "Sensors, active sensors when you can. 30 second sweep."  That would tell him if anything was inside of 11 million km from the jump point.  "Active sweep sir Aye."   Less than a minute later it was clear the human force was alone on the jump point.

"Commander Barker, organize the resupply ships transit."  He was talking to Cmdr Ellen Barker CO of the 4th Squadron Support Group.  "Bring 3 Edinbourghs's through and detach one of the Gargoyles for missile defence."  Spin was returning to the Commanche and his helmet was already racked beside him.  "Make a Resupply Group out of them and have them trail us when we are 10 million km out."  That would give them a fair amount of protection.

Over the next 20 min the Task Group assembled its 3 squadron battlegroups into a single formation centered on the Commanche.  The destroyers of 4th Squadron were in line abreast while the heavy frigates adopted a triangular formation centred on the Gargoyle area defence ship.  The laser armed Lake class corvettes being the tip.  The two heavy frigate squadrons were then deployed 60,000 km radial seperation at 120° from the TG flagship.

They set off for the previously used "way point 1" in the system at a sedate 700 km/s as the survey ships would not be arriving for a few hours.  Behind them 4th Support Group consisting of 3 Enchanter Jump Ships and the area defence heavy Frigate Hippogriff picketed the jump point at 1 km/s relying on their passive sensors for threat detection.  When Interstellar Survey IV jumps in several hours later they are joined by the John Franklin as the Scout Trail Blazer heads for way point 1 where its passive array will scan for Wolver active sensors before moving in system more.

September 16 2020 Wolf 359 Way Point 1 Scout class survey vessel Trail Blazer

Lt. Cmdr Reece Riley stared at the sensor graphical output and tried to make a joke, "I guess we need to get a scale that goes to 11, eh?"  His ships passive array was getting a feed on the gravic pulse strength of the Wolver ship of the Tone class, and so far all he could see was lots.   Accounting for the best guess anyone had on the effectiveness of the reciever part of the system it had a detection range against a mass 3800 tonne object of around 320 million km.  The Trail Blazer herself was safe where she was, as she would have to be closer than 200 million km to be detected; but that number was based on an assumption.  "Communications squirt to Commadore Morgenrot with the best guess of that ships location."  From what he could tell it was orbiting the terrestrial planet with the wrecks.

This was a monkey wrench as the Tone would pick up the destroyers at full range meaning they would be spotted outside the orbit of planet V.  A new waypoint 2 was designated outside of the Tone's range and Trail Blazer is directed to proceed to Wolf 359 planet 5 to establish herself in polar orbit of the gas giant and function as an observer with her passive detection system.   The Resupply group is directed to proceed to Way Point 2 while the Task Group maintains course for Way Point 1.

===

September 17 0554 Sensor contact with Tone class ship is lost as it turns its search array off.

September 19 1410 TG 2 arrives at Way Point 1 (300 million km from the primary)
September 19 1944 Resupply groups arrives at Way Point 2 (347 million km from the primary), TG2 sets course for Jump Point 2 at 2000 km/s.  They will attempt to engage a Wolver ship to gather intellegence on its capabilities.

September 21 2259 New Active Sensor Detected!  Contact ID: Jintsu 002
September 21 2314 New Active Sensor Detected!  Contact ID: Tone 002 and Tone 003

September 21 2330 Wolf 359 Commanche Bridge

"They are running away?"  Lt. Wendy Crowley the JOW shook her head and shruged in reply to her captains obviously rehtorical question.  Commadore Morgenrot didn't know whether to be relieved or upset.  Running had not had a high probability in the planning.  Chasing the Wolvers was ludicrious given the speed difference between their ships and the NCNs.  Possibly the numbers of ships worried them?  "Proceed on course helmsman."  He could sense a feeling of relief go through the crew as they relaxed unconsiously.  "Communications send to all ships: Maintain course and speed."  The JOW had woken him when the new sensor contacts had been picked up by Task group's passive sensors and he expected word from Trail Blazer after it was relayed to the TG.

[ooc]Shown above is the inital wolver behaviour.[/ooc]

They watched the threat plot together.  Peter thanked the rating that brought him a cup of coffee as he tried to figure out a plan.  The Wolver ships were withdrawing from him at 11 730 km/s and 8 379 km/s for the Tone and Jintsu respectively.  His ships could do 2222 km/s maximum.  He could not catch them.  He knew he should go back to sleep; but he also knew he would not sleep, so he remained watching until suddenly the target that had been receeding changed course.  "Computer makes it an interception course, both Tones, Sir."  The tracking officer replied to his quiet question.  It seemed the operation was a go, and he could feel the change again in the bridge crew.

"Communications send to 4th Squadron:  All ships to launch pinnaces."
"Communications send to Task Group:  All ships begin search sensor sweeps.  All ships to close up for combat when enemy is at 100 million km and 4th and 5th Squardons are to launch pinnaces."

September 22 0257 New Active Sensor Detected!  Contact ID: Taiho 002  2 min later the Jintsu's sensor vanishes from the threat plot

Septermber 22 0301 Wolf 359 Commanche Bridge

The NCN's formation moved through space preceeded by 6 pinnaces forming a shallow cone out to 180 000 km with a narrow base near TG2 of 70 000 km and a widest seperation of 90 000 km.  The pinnaces should be able to see the Wolver standard ship killing missile at 50 000 km.  The ships had locked down their spin sections and were at 0.35 atmospheres pressure to hinder a fire and reduce the effect of explosive decompression, the crew was all in survival suits.

"VAMPIRE!  RANGE! 210KAYs!"  The shout was loud in Peter's helmet.  A red icon blossomed by the most forward pinnace whose sensors had picked it up.   An icon on his formation flashed: Wounded Knee had engaged.  3 Falcon missile had been launched at the single inbound.  For the first time the pinnace Early Warning concept had worked properly instead of barely picking up the missile at 50K or 70K km and having no time to react they were picking it up 20 seconds out and the 12 000 km/s Falcons were faster than 11 200 km Wolver inbound.  Now to see how the missile performed its job.

"Foxes are green!"  The update was at a much more normal volume.

Twenty five seconds later he knew.  "Splash inbound!"  The bridge errupted in cheers even as a second Wolver missile swept inward, a volley of three Falcons screaming to meet it from Normandy.

Of course it was not always so and at 03:02:11 the Task Group suffers its first hit as a missile evades two interception attempts and the Lake Erie's lasers to bracket the Gryphon with nuclear hell.  The area defence frigate emerges with half its shield gone [ooc]Oddly enough the frigates suffer only half damage to shields...so 9 pts of damage hits the ship, 6 points of shields are reduced to 3 and 3 armour damage.  Might be a bug but it happened twice.[/ooc] and its armour belt breached.

"Communications:  Send to 6th Squadron move to 135° absolute."
"Communications:  Send to Algonquin to take up position on our port side."  That would strengthen the laser fire power available.

Shortly another missile again evades two interception attempts and several laser shots to batter the destroyer Sarcee's shield flat.

"Communications:  Send to Sarcee:  Go to Mode 1 on your lasers.  Send to Task Group: Sarcee is out of the Net." 

Another wolver missile streaks into the formation only this time the Lake Eries ventral laser turret lets loose of cone of coherent ligth that turns the missile into a cloud of debries.  It was clear that if the tracking speed of the fire control had not been an issue the lasers would have a greater impact on the battle.  Still over the engagement a half a dozen or more missiles are destroyed by fire from the targets consorts.

"IMPACT IMPACT ALL HANDS BRACE FOR IMPACT!"  The computer generated warning overrode all communication onboard the Commache as a Wolver missile avoided all attempts to stop it and detonates near the command destroyer ripping its protective shields appart.   The Sarcee's shield was at two-thirds and charging.  "Guns, Mode 1 for our lasers."  Two of 4 destroyers were now out of the net.  But the ships remain untouched as missile after missile is knocked down by Falcon's or Goaltender Arrays and then full shield integridy is restored to the Commanche's shield.

"Guns switch back to Mode 4."

The battle continues for minute after grueling minute, at times apparently even Wolver missiles have limited accuracies as not all missiles detonate in effective radius of their targets.  Counter missile magazines on the Wounded Knee class frigates run dry and the computer switches to the Gargoyles as the primary area defence platforms.

"IMPACT IMPACT ALL HANDS BRACE FOR IMPACT!"  The Commanche is drawing the enemy attention for some reason and another Wolver missile detonates near the ship, again her shield deflects the force away from her hull even as the magnets quench.  "Guns, Mode 1"  So far the Task Group had done well having weathered 53 missiles and suffered only 4 hits on their ships.  Thirty seconds later the Commanche sails through the expanding cloud of missile debries that her dorsal laser array had destroyed just short of the ship.

Not long after that the Lake Erie is targeted and her armour is breached without internal damage.  Another Wolver ship killer is destroyed just short of the Commanche by her lasers but fifteen seconds later she is struck with her shield at a third strength and her armour is breached with no internal damage.   Commadore Morgenrot is distracted from Task Group command as he tries to find out if his ship suffered damage.  Although her armour was breached no internal systems were affected.  He has just started to hear back from his damage control chief when the impact alarm blocks his his communications and a third missile detonates near the Commanche.  This time the whole vessel shudders hard and the ship skews in space with suddenly unbalanced thrust as one engine "burps."
"Captain, this engineering, that last blast damaged one of the engines but the back up systems are working fine and I've got a crew on the damaged parts." 

"Communications: Send to Task Group.  Commanche will remain in Mode 1."  They seemed to be the primary target.  Still it seemed the bad luck plaguing the Commanche vanished as her shield continued to rebuild and the Wolver missiles were being knocked out one after another either by Falcons or by the meshed laser arrays of the Tribals and Lake Class ships.  Twice the Commanche's lasers failed to stop an inbound that failed to detonate on target.

At 0331 and after 83 wolver missiles, presumably launched from the Taiho, it was over.  The missiles had a range of 40-50 million km and so outranged the human anti-ship missiles by a factor of 4.  But the Taiho and the two Tones continued to close the range.  Seven minutes later the Taiho entered the range of the NCN Seimen's scanners and was found to be a 8950 tonne vessel.  For the first time the NCN had weathered a Wolver attack essentially unscathed.

[ooc]to be continued...that was an eternity of 5 second turns.  And a slight update hopefully it reads better.[/ooc]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:19:10 PM by Paul M »

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »
[ooc]I finished the previous installment later last night and I have to go back and re-edit the text there are some inconsitantcies and such there.  As far as area defence setting goes, that worked very well except that the chance to hit varied from 5-13%.  Final fire was up to 17-19%.  I think every laser armed ship though killed at least 1 missile with her lasers in area mode, the Mohawk killed 3, and the two Lakes a pair each this is at maximum around 10 leakers, but they shot a lot more often then that, at times up to 8 lasers missed the missile.   Mohawk and Commanche killed around 6 missiles in point blank self only mode.[/ooc]

September 22 0337 Wolf 359 Commanche Bridge

The intel gathering part of the operation had so far been a resounding success.  Peter knew which way the die would fall on the next generation of laser turrets.  He suspected there would be a huge push for both better armour plus stronger and faster charging shields.  The shields though had made a huge difference in this combat with the Commanche only suffering damage due to three impacts in a short time.  The new Falcon counter missiles had their baptism in fire and had performed remarkably well, with on one memorable occasion all three missiles warheads triggering on a single inbound missile.  Faster tracking speed for the lasers was a must but still the TorAr arrays had done an astounding job protecting the ships against leakers.  Now though it was time to test the NCNs Arrow anti-ship missile against the Wolvers.

"Guns, target is Tone 2.  Time to blind them." 
"Aye aye sir.  Target is Tone 2." 
"Communications, send to Task Group:  Target is Tone 2.  All ships engage."

On the threat plot the Tone 2 changed to a different shade of red and Peter smiled at the thought that came to him,  'Diana sends her love.' 

"ECM is foxing us sir."  No surprise there.  Range was dropping steadily to the 10.3 million mark when the NCNs targeting system could lock.

"Hard lock sir."
"Firing."  The Commanche shuddered as the twin mass drivers launched the Arrows.  "Birds are green sir."  That meant the missile had accepted the target and engines are on boost.  The Task Groups fire was a little ragged: 5 volleys of two missiles were followed five seconds later by 3 volleys of two Arrows.

The Taiho would have been an easier target but its sensors were only 60 and 40 million km in range.  If the Tones were taken out of the battle the enemy would be a lot closer to blind, and the Trail Blazer currently returning to the jump point at full speed would be a lot safer.  150 seconds later the Task Groups second volley follows the first.  150 seconds later the Task Group volleys again on the Tone 2.

Peter watched the icon of the missile closing with the Wolver ship, any second now...

"Hard Gammas Sir!"  The sensor operator's voice struggles to keep proffesional.  "I make it 3 hits, no obvious counterfire."
"Spectroscopy is showing only Duranium lines, armour was not breached."

Five seconds later the second wave scores another hit on the Tone 2.

Peter swore quietly as the hits and misses were tailed by the computer, two volleys had missed badly and the hits stood at 4.  Then 5, 6, and 7.  Sudden the marker changed to a wreck.

"Spectrocopy?"  He was stunned.  The human ships errupted in cheers that the voice communication software quickly blocked.
"We read a massive internal explosion sir.  An engine or powersupply must have gotten hit." 
[ooc]AD 2286 (September 22) 03:49:36 Strength 49 Secondary Power System Explosion x1 detected!
AD 2286 (September 22) 03:49:36 Tone 002 has been destroyed
[/ooc]

"I'll be damned."
"Guns Target is Tone 3."
"Aye Aye Sir. Target is Tone 3."  That left a bunch of missiles that were now on onboard targeting.  Depending on the Tone 3's flight path it might pass through them.   And as it turns out it does and two minutes later 3 of the Arrow missiles on independent IR guidance impact on the Tone 3.  The range was now down to 1 million km to the Tone 3 and 4 million km to the oncoming Taiho 2, which was continuing to close for what Peter could only assume was to be a beam engagement.  The ships of 5th and 6th Squadrons were now out of missiles and are ordered to return to the Resupply group to rearm, he detached the two Lake class corvettes to the 4th squadron.  6th Squadron is told to keep going to the jump point as the resupply group's missiles won't stretch that far.

"Communications send to 4th Squadron:  All ships engage Tone 3 with a single Falcon battery."  His destroyers had some 70 Falcons each.
"Communications send to 4th Squadron:  Arbalist launchers target is Taiho 2.  All ships engage." 
"Guns.  First battery to fire on Tone 3 in anti-shipping mode.  Target the Arrows on Taiho 2."
"Aye aye Sir. First battery in Anti-shipping mode.  Target is Tone 3.  Arbalist launchers switching to Taiho 2."

Minutes later 2 Falcons scored hits on the Tone 3.   But the ship seemed luckier than her consort and missile after missile missed her.

8 Arrow missiles in 4 volleys of two close on the Taiho 2 and then just short of the ship a pair of missile beacons vanish.  "Point defences detected Sir!"  Still one missile impacts on the Wolver ship.  Followed later by two more missile impacts, while the Tone 3's luck lets it dodge multiple Falcon missile with only the occasional missile striking home.

"Communications send to 4th Squadron:  All ships engage Taiho 2 with remaining Falcon Battery."
"Communicaitons send to Resupply Group: 4th Squadron with resupply with you."
"Communications send to 5th Squadron:  continue on to jump point.  Do not remunition at Resupply group."

There were 36 Arrows and 132 Falcons which could remunition his destroyers rather than the frigates.  His missile stocks onboard right now were dropping rapidly though.

The Taiho 2 kept closing ending up approximately 200 000 km from the NCN ships matching their speed.  Falcon missile rained down on the Tone 3.  A further Arrow hits the Taiho adding to the tally.  Then 4 more Arrows.  By now all fire was on the Taiho whose point defence made things dicy as it destroyed the first salvo fired on it without apparent fail.  By 0407 his ships were out of missiles and the pair of Wolver ships were still at ranges of 150 000 and 1 million km respectively for the Taiho 2 and Tone 3.

"A long range beam weapon would be good around now." Peter leaned over the shoulder of the gunnery station hoping to see something different.  "Yes Sir!"  The refit to the Tribals that had added the extra magazine capacity to ships had proved its value in this battle.  But at the moment if the enemy did not choose to close range further, and it seemed they didn't, he could not shoot at them with the DPPD lasers. 
"Helm set course for the Resupply group."  They were currently at Way Point 2 about 8 hours travel from here.
"Navigation give us a rendevous point and then have communications relay it to the Resupply group."

======

[ooc]Now at this point reality and writing diverge somewhat.  What happened in the game was I hit 8 hour time advance (since no combat had occured and I wanted the resupply over with).  That was stupid on a few levels but I was tired.  What I found after the 8 hour time advance was a map with 2 wrecks 3 hours behind me and looking through the log apparently a wolver anti-ship missile attack.  One which didn't appear to be opposed by any laser fire at all...joy.  To say I was angry was an understatement...but mostly with myself.[/ooc]

The 4th Squadron and its two attached Corvettes turn and head for the inbound Resupply Group.  The two Lake class ships are trailing the Commanche by 10 000 km and the squadrons 4 Pinnaces are pulled off to the sides to avoid giving the Taiho ideas.  Some hours later alarms go off on board the ships.

"Vampire inbound, 170kays.  Profile is ship killer."  The NCN ships lasers attempted to engage the inbounds but while the ships could see the inbounds at distance the tracking speed difference cut the effectiveness of their meshed laser fire.  The targets were the Lakes and over a grueling two minutes first the Lake Erie (CO: Lt Cmdr Melodie Tyon who was killed when the Erie's bridge was obliterated in a sheeting rain of splinters) and then the Lake Superiour was battered down before the rain of wolver missiles ended leaving the Sarcee without shields and the pinnaces moving in to recover the 53 crew from the Lake Superior and the 30 crew from the Lake Erie that survived.
[ooc]I actually sent the pinnaces back to collect the crew and they were onboard the pinnaces still when the pinnaces were shot down.[/ooc]

Peter stared at the plot...it would no longer be a no loss operation.  Apparently the missiles had been launched by the Jintsu, which indicated the maximum range of the Wolver ship killer might be considerably longer than first thought.  Some hours later 4th Squadron arrives at the rendevous with the Resupply group and the missiles are transfered one ship at a time evenly distributed as possible between the four destroyers before the Resupply group boosts for the jump point while the 4th Squadron reduces speed to allow the Trail Blazer time to make it back to the jump point.  They will draw the Wolvers attention to them.

[ooc]I actually just transfered them to the Commanche and used SM mode to re-distribute them around as there isn't any way to limit the number of missiles transfered.  [/ooc]

====

"Guns.  Target is Tone 3."  He had to shut down that long range scanner.  Of the first 8 Arrow missiles launched 1 hit.  Of the next 8 Arrow missiles launched three hit.  Of the next 8 Arrow missiles launched none hit.  The Tone 3 has a guardian angle it seems.  Of the next 8 Arrow missiles launched two hit.  Of the last salvo of 2 that were launched 1 hit.  [ooc]I fail at basic math as that should have been a salvo of 4 missiles not 2:  8x4=32+2 = 34 < 36 onboard the 3 Edinbourghs.[/ooc]

"Sir!  Sensors.  The Tone 3's sensor just went down."  There was every chance it might be repaired but for the moment the ship was blind and somewhat slowed due to previous hit that had dropped its speed to 10 500 km/s.

Suddenly the pinnaces were engulfed in nuclear fire and inside of 5 seconds all 4 of them were either reduced to wrecks or unable to move due to lack of engines or fuel.
"What the hell?  Tracking?"
Countermissile launches blosemed over the formation while the humans tried to sort out what was happening.
"High speed inbounds Sir."
"Spectroscopy is showing scale 1 warhead detonations sir."
The squadrons counter missiles self destructed as their targets vanished before they could acquire.  First the order was to switch to 1v1 engagement in an attempt to thin the flow then when tracking finally got a hard read on the inbound missiles velocity:  50 000 km/s;  Commadore Morgenrot orders his ships to take the counter missile batteries off PD mode as it clear that it is waste of missiles.  All ships are ordered to Mode 1 with their DPPD arrays but against a missile moving that fast only divine intervention would allow an intercept.  At least the Super Vigilant CM sensor is living up to its name and the ship can see the inbound missiles.  These were the missile that had killed the 1-1-1 Peter realized, only 4th Squadron was individually a lot tougher but against this magic missile he could do no more than his predecessor.  Still the enemy kept swapping targets allowing the destroyers to rebuild shield protection.   After nearly 2 minutes of fire not letting up Commadore Morgenrot orders all ships to engage the Taiho 2 with their remaining counter missiles.  Compared to the hell raining down on the NCN destroyers it is a mild return but it is clear that the only thing going to save the NCN ships is the enemy running out of missiles.

The Sarcee is the first battered down her shield continously knocked out, then her armour breached and her interior spaces becoming arbetoirs.  Commadore Morgenrot orders all ships to maintain course their only task now to draw as much fire onto them as possible to shield the remaining ships still in system.   But the NCN destroyers were tough, their systems redundant and though Sarcee was slowed to 444 km/s she stayed together.  Her bridges destroyed allowing only intermitted contact with the Task Group command as Commadore Morgenrot tried to get a status report.  Fire then shifted mainly to the Mowhawk and the cycle repeated.  Missile after missile struck the ship until gaps in her armour allowed plasma to strike deep inside the ship.  The ship like the Sarcee soon acquired a comet trail of debreis and bodies until two missile strikes caught her engines and one after another they detonated the ship distingrating in a fireball of its own making, her CO Commander Elisabeth von Schirmer does not make to a life pod but some 50 crew do.  Fire shifted to the Commanche and Algonquin.  Damage began to mount in those two ships.  Then with a final volley of two missiles it was over.  Approximately 560 to 600 size 1 missiles had hit the 4th Squadron.

[ooc]Shown above is a picture from the battles the time is: 23.09.86 at 07:59.  The destroyers are still getting snowed under by size 1 missiles.  Mohawk is still intact at this point.[/ooc]

The Jintsu, assumed to have launched the attack, is still approaching.  Commadore Morgenrot directs his ships to repair damage and after several minutes establishes contact with the Sarcee.  They can repair one engine but they have only 10 000 litres of fuel onboard.  Even with 2 engines it will take 3 days to reach the jump point with the Sarcee and it seems the best solution is scuttle her.   During this time the Jintsu crosses the NCN's sensor envelope and is revealed to be also a 8950 tonne vessel.  While the situation was being sorted out the three human ships had seperated and Taiho and Tone were clustered around one of the surviving crippled pinnaces the Fairmile C1 003 of the Commanche's Loner's Early Warning Pinnace unit.  The last surviving crewman had kept the feed from the sensor system going through the battle and had given warning of many inbound strikes.  The Wolver ship was just a few thousand km away from the crippled pinnace.

"Commadore!  The Jintsu it...it just rammed the Loner!"
"What?"  Peter stared in shock at the threat plot; the notepad in his hand forgotten.
"Oh...God...Helm.  Bring us about.  Set course for the Sarcee.  Full Speed."  If they would ram...of all things ram...a pinnace the Sarcee was a sitting duck; all her weapons were out.
"Communications:  Send to Sarcee.  Wolver ship may attempt ramming attack.  Get your people to the escape pods but don't abandon ship."  Unfortunately the Sarcee was a cripple and better she be rammed then either of the two still essentially functional ships remaining.

"Oh my God...Sir...sir...the Jintsu just rammed the life pods."  Peter stared in shock.  Well that explained the lifepod signals going silent in previous encounters.  At least the families would know for sure now.  The lifepod beacons of the other pinnance surivors and the 50 crew from the Mohawk vanish. "Course confirmed as intercept with the Sarcee sir." 

The Algonquin and Commanche didn't make in time and it is unlikely even if they had been there they could have prevented the Wolver vessel from impacting the Sarcee.
[ooc]AD 2286 (September 23) 09:27:31 Sarcee hit by 179 points of damage from Ramming Attack. 177 damage caused to shields. Shield Strength now 0.  2 damage absorbed by armour. 
AD 2286 (September 23) 09:27:31 Sarcee suffers complete structural failure due to the amount of damage it has received. The ship is destroyed.
AD 2286 (September 23) 09:27:31 Jintsu 002 hit by 180 points of damage from Ramming Attack.
AD 2286 (September 23) 09:27:31 Strength 73 Secondary Power System Explosion x1 detected!
AD 2286 (September 23) 09:27:31 Jintsu 002 has been destroyed.[/ooc]

The Commanche rendevous with the 73 surviors of the Sarcee, and collects their lifepods before the two ships head for the jump point now some 1 day and several hours distant.  Over the next three hours the crews repair the critical battle damage on the two ships.   The Algonquin repairs her knocked out engine and then her Sureshot fire control plus the damaged TorAr laser array in the dorsal turret, lastly bringing her Super Vigilant CM sensor back online.  The Commanche repairs her ASM fire control and some minor internal damage to quarters and fuel storage tanks.

===

At 9:05 on September 24 the 5th and 6th Squadrons transit back to Sol.  As they are out of munitions and Commadore Morgenrot has said he will use the munitions on the 3 Enchanters for his two ships they set course for Earth.

===

At 13:19 of that same day, some 72 million km from the jump point and with nothing on their passive or active sensors suddenly the action stations alarm is triggered by the automatic threat detection system.
"VAMPIRE!  110Kays.  Size...one."  It was the magic missiles again and though both ships immediately went to mode 1 point defence there was nothing else to be done but pray.

[ooc]This realy ticks me off.  There was nothing on my sensors, active or passive and the Trail Blazers passives were also available...they are about 50% better than the regular navy and nothing showed up.  Those missiles just showed up out of the blue sky.  9 hours out from the jump point.  [/ooc]

Commanche is hit first as missile after missile detonates near the ship.  Her shield blocks the first 3 salvos and then her baddly breached armour is left bare to the plasma shock fronts.  The missiles are now coming in waves of 12 every 5 seconds.  15 seconds later one of her engines explodes and lays most of the aft end of the ship open to vacuum and her speed drops to 888 km/s.  Commadore Morgenrot orders the Algonquin to not slow down.   75 seconds into the attack Commadore Peter Morgenrot is killed as the bridge of the Commanche is blasted apart by spalling splinters of his ship as most of the ships structure is now bare to vacuum.   Five seconds later the ship breaks apart having survived 80 seconds of fire. 

It is now the Algonquins turn.  The first group of 12 missiles arrives on target at nearly 60 after the Commanche was destroyed.  40 seconds into the battle Lt. Cmdr. Dylan Skinner dies at the conn as the bridge is opened to space and fragments slash his survial suit to ribbons.  65 seconds into the attack two damaged engines detonate and the last NCN destroyer is torn apart by the force of the blasts.

The timing between the final fire on the Commanche and the first salvo on the Algonquin suggested the firing platform was no more than 15 millon km from the pair of ships yet no sensor signal had been picked up.  The two ships cost their unseen enemy nearly 380 missiles.

Cmdr.  Ellen Barker onboard the Enchanter at the jump point launches the Oracle, her pinnace, on the several hour long trip to retrieve the suvivors of the two ships. It will take the pinnace around 14 hours to complete the round trip and the crew is told to leave their sensor off in the hopes the Wolvers won't see them.

===

At 1500 the Resupply group arrives and is ferried through the jump point by the Enchanters and then dispached to the waiting Support Groups the ships were drawn from originaly.  By 20:30 the pinnace has completed its mission and the 153 survivors of the two ships are crammed into the pinnace willy nilly as it sets off trailed by the Taiho 2.  By 22:15 the pair of ships of Instellerar Survey IV have jumped back to Sol with the ships heading back to Earth.  Only the Enchanter, Sorcerer and Hippogriff remain in Wolf 359 waiting on the Oracle. 

September 25 0330 Wolf 359 Near Jump Point to Sol Bridge Enchanter

Cmdr. Barker watched the pinnace close trailed by the Wolver ship Taiho 2.  It was now less than 500 000 km from the jump point and showed no sign of stopping; trailing the pinnance by some 150 000 km.  "Communications send to Hippogriff:  Engage target."  Seconds later 6 Falcon missiles were launched at the oncoming Wolver ship.  It would take several minutes for the pinnance to dock and the Enchanter to spindle her drive but 0338 the three NCN ships jumped for Sol.  Unfortunately leaving the Taiho to observe their departure.

September 25 0341 Sol Near Jump Point to Wolf 359  Bridge Bloodhound

"Hostile Transit detected!"  The threat plot blossemed with an icon for the Wolver ship.  Tracking suggested Taiho 2 as an identifier.  Even though the ship arrived only some 20 k km from the jump point not a mine activated.  "smeg!"

[ooc]Shown above is the arrival of the Taiho 2.[/ooc]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:36:33 PM by Paul M »

Offline Brainsucker

• B
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
Morgenrot is dead. So what next?  :'( :'( :'( Who will become the next hero / heroine?

Who survive this battle? How many ships destroyed in this event? Earth is in danger. Will NCN survive this event? I can't wait the next update.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2013, 02:51:07 AM »
Morgenrot is dead. So what next?  :'( :'( :'( Who will become the next hero / heroine?

Who survive this battle? How many ships destroyed in this event? Earth is in danger. Will NCN survive this event? I can't wait the next update.

Local command goes to Cpt. Ewan Ahmed, CO of 6th Squadron.  Commadore Frasier is "in command" as such but the NCN doesn't allow that sort of delayed command and control loop.

Hard to say on the rest of the questions...the clock is only a few minutes into "Operation Humpty Dumpty" as it is likely to be un-officially known.  5th and 6th Squadrons have reversed course and are heading for the missiles onboard the Edinbourgh supply vessel and the 3 Enchanter jump ships.  Every human ship but the Edinbourgh's are armed (even the Flower class Jump Tenders).

Lots of heads will roll over this event...and not all from the computer events.

A bigger question probably is "does anything else come through the jump point?"  I am assuming since no one could find anything wrong with the mines that the Wolver ECM has cut the seperation range down to 75 000 km.  Looks like a closer in ring...I had worried more that the ships would show up further from the jump point.  I didn't want someone jumping in outside the mines.

Offline Brainsucker

• B
« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »
Well, at least your destroyer can match the wolver. So your next generation ships will definitely work against them.