Author Topic: Aurora as a work of Art  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Aurora as a work of Art
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
Interesting presentation, CS degree here.

Offline Eseraith

• Leading Rate
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
A great read, you truly captured the essence of Aurora.

BS in Economics.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
I am curious...how many of you have advanced degrees (masters or higher), in anything.
I'm not trying to make a judgement here, but I think a lot of my colleagues view games like aurora as "academic", and I'm fairly certain that's not true.

completed a phD here :D  (chemistry!)

Offline MrAnderson

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »
I'm currently picking my way through highschool. In my spare time, while not going out with friends, or doing something else, I play video games. People say that I'm a good writer, that I am good at drawing, or that I know alot about science and history for my age. Strangely, I learnt alot of things from them; both directly - IE a game based on real events, or indirectly; games that made me think about a topic, and I later learnt more about it due to that.

For example, I was in grade two. By that time, I had learnt how to write graphs, multiply and divide, I knew square roots, and 3 3 dimensional graphs (xyz) all by myself, from video games that had nothing to do with those, that most people would have learnt in grade 5. Aurora has been a diamond in the rough; this is the very first game that I found that I could write about. It gives me challenging decisions to make, and exercises real-world skills.

Quite a few of the things that happen in Aurora surprise me at first, but then I think about it, and figure out some kind of logical reasoning behind it.

(Well, besides in one of my campaigns where Russia somehow toppled every nation in 1 and a half years, even though they were a much weaker version of themselves than in real history.)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
Aurora as art is an interesting concept. I do look upon it as a creative endeavour, so I guess in that way it could be classed as art.

No degree here btw :). I have a fairly average collection of O levels and A levels. I was working part-time from 15 as a musician in pubs, clubs, theatres, etc, earning a decent wage and enjoying the lifestyle so university was low on my priority list. I probably would enjoy it now but at the time I wasn't very academically-inclined :)

Steve

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
I think actually what you've created is an art-generating machine. Aurora is a great creative springboard, it gave me so many character and story ideas.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
A notion just struck me on this topic.  In the "What's going on..." thread http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3808.msg54972.html#msg54972 the conversation is currently (on page 27) centered on everyone's interpretation of precursors.  The observation is that Steve does have a backstory in mind for their history, and has even published it, but people make up interpretations of them anyway.  I've seen similar discussions of jump points and jump gates; I suspect there's a few more that I've forgotten.

The notion is that this "interpretation on the part of the observer" aspect is one of the core properties of a work of art.

OTOH, this brings up questions such as "Government as Art?" (conspiracy theories, anyone?) :)

John

Offline Geoffroypi

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • G
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »
I am curious...how many of you have advanced degrees (masters or higher), in anything.
I'm not trying to make a judgement here, but I think a lot of my colleagues view games like aurora as "academic", and I'm fairly certain that's not true.
I was a bright student when i was <13 yrs old , im 19 now and i just dropped out school and my ambition to be an astrophysician.

I'm currently picking my way through highschool. In my spare time, while not going out with friends, or doing something else, I play video games. People say that I'm a good writer, that I am good at drawing, or that I know alot about science and history for my age. Strangely, I learnt alot of things from them; both directly - IE a game based on real events, or indirectly; games that made me think about a topic, and I later learnt more about it due to that.

In my case i learned most of english with internet and video games, i understand it perfectly and write it correctly, being French and 19 yrs old , their is matter to be proud.  ;D

I once noticed a similar topic about dwarf fortress being considered as "art".
It seems that video games are suffering a rejection from being considered as art because their main purpose is to entertain a targeted group of customers.
Games like aurora or dwarf fortress freely  "entertains" us in a way  books does , by soliciting our imagination .
sometimes, things just need to be old and dusty to be considered as art, we should wait 100-200 years to see Aurora exposed in Louvre museum. ("prepare the cryogenisation unit !")

Offline State

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
Bachelor degree in Business Administration, working on a Master of Supply Chain Management, with a minor in Neuroscience, and System Dynamics. . . 

This game is by far the best i've run into in ages!

Offline MehMuffin

• M
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
Currently getting through high school, looking towards some sort of engineering or sciences degree (Hopefully).

Offline niflheimr

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 05:16:01 AM »
So let's see : Bachelor in Nuclear Engineering , Master degree in Nuclear Security and Advanced Reactor Designs , currently working on my EngD ( Control and Operation of a subcritical research reactor using IEC neutron generators ) . Needless to say I've always been interested in the kind of stuff Aurora deals with ( even though I must admit I've been looking forward to NA ever since Steve started talking about it :) )

I've always liked writing fan-fiction and even if I rarely got the time Aurora does make for an awesome playground to design your universe . Work of art ? No , but I do find it as being the framework for creating art .

Offline Stardust

• S
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
This was very interesting.   Thanks for sharing.

I feel like Aurora allows me to create a living, breathing universe.   A work of art.

I'm working towards a MSEE.   I land jets on aircraft carriers automatically while the pilot enjoys the ride.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 06:11:37 AM »
The future is yours. When I was a kid, grown-ups were worried about cartoons, to them it was trash. But then a new generation took over and today cartoons are literature. The same will happen with video games. The old generation (people in my age) will retire and die, and the new generation will regard video games as art.

Same thing happened in the music business; when I was young, rock was considered dangerous, today nobody (but a few retarded people) thinks you are doomed if you listen to rock music.

Take a look at Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", the same is happening in the sciences: The old elites are reactionary, and new paradigms only become accepted, when the young take over the universities. They will, of course, in their turn become reactionary and oppose new paradigm shifts.

I got an old MA in philosophy, but I make my living as a musician and sound engineer.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »
I thought perhaps this would be of interest to you: Dwarf Fortress on MoMA

http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?object_id=164920

Offline makassar

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Hi Guys. . .   First post.

I've played some very complex games in my time (WitP-AE, WitE, Distant Worlds, Masters of Orion 1/2/3), but this beats them all for depth.

I found this site/game about 2 weeks ago, and have been hooked from the first day.  Yes. . .  it is a work of beauty, and has more layers than any game I've ever seen. . .  I'm in love!

Just 1 question; is there a list of techs that one should start the game with?