Author Topic: Hi all, first post and naturaly...  (Read 4133 times)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
Hi BobS`
If you unzipped the 120 files (and all the others) on your desktop and copy them to the correct directories I think it will work for you. That?s the way I have to do it. For some reason Vista will not let me unzip successfully in the Aurora directory. However I would be interested in how you get on on your XP machine, all you have to watch for there is the screen resolution.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Buaman22

• Leading Rate
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »
For some reason I can't post a New Topic because I don't have special access, so I'm going to hijack someone else post.

I've tried a couple different fixes, but nothings worked so far.

When I first start the program I get:

Error in PopulateGameList

Error 3061 was generated by DAO.Database
Too few parameters.  Expected 2.

Anyone have some help for me?

I've tried uninstalling and trying from a lower version, an every version on the way up to 3.11.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Buaman22 »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »
Quote from: "Buaman22"
For some reason I can't post a New Topic because I don't have special access, so I'm going to hijack someone else post.

I do that so new people that are potential spammers cannot start threads. I've given you group access so you can start your own now :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
Re: Hi all, first post and naturaly...
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »
Ok, after lurking a while, hoping Steve would simplify the aurora instalation, I tried once again to d/l the game. I printed out steve's instructions and followed them to the letter. I cant get past the 120 install ( i keep getting the "access denied, cant install{or run? } aurora exe).I tried extracting the folder 2 way; first i simply extracted the folder icon in the rar file- a little folder image followed by several dots (i do it this way when i extract addon folders for WoW-no problem). When that didnt work, i deleted EVERYTHING aurora- and dumped the trash- started over and when i got to the 120 stuff i extracted them individually...when i tried to extract the exe file i got the error again.
So, to review :D. Looking around a bit i found a "Compatible" or "
comparable" file button and it opens to reveal the planets and flags and ships files and, interestingly, the stevefire.mdb file. but no exe file.
So, is there anyone out there can tell me where i went wrong?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »
Quote from: "BobS"
Ok, after lurking a while, hoping Steve would simplify the aurora instalation, I tried once again to d/l the game. I printed out steve's instructions and followed them to the letter. I cant get past the 120 install ( i keep getting the "access denied, cant install{or run? } aurora exe).I tried extracting the folder 2 way; first i simply extracted the folder icon in the rar file- a little folder image followed by several dots (i do it this way when i extract addon folders for WoW-no problem). When that didnt work, i deleted EVERYTHING aurora- and dumped the trash- started over and when i got to the 120 stuff i extracted them individually...when i tried to extract the exe file i got the error again.
comparable" file button and it opens to reveal the planets and flags and ships files and, interestingly, the stevefire.mdb file. but no exe file.
If you are using Vista are you installing with admin rather than user rights?  To install Aurora on my Vista machine I enventually had to turn off User Account Control.  To turn it off use the help and support link on the start menu.  Type in User Account Control follow the turn on or off link.  See if this helps.
Welchbloke

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
If you are using Vista are you installing with admin rather than user rights?  To install Aurora on my Vista machine I enventually had to turn off User Account Control.  To turn it off use the help and support link on the start menu.  Type in User Account Control follow the turn on or off link.  See if this helps.
I'm installing as the admin.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
*SNIP*
I'm installing as the admin.
If you haven't already tried it try turning off UAC and see if it makes a difference.  Not allowing the exe to unzip sounds like a typical Vista 'I know better than my user' firewall/secuirty issue.  I'm not great with Vista and the only way I've found to circumvent security issues lilke this is to turn UAC off and then on again after I've done what I need to do.
Welchbloke

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 07:08:34 PM »
ill probly give that a try, but the exe in the first d/l installed fine so i dont give it much hope...
maybe im better off reading the stories and waiting on a simplified install  exe :D

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
For some reason UAC does not like zip file updates (hopefully fixed in Windows 7).

I always extract the files to a "storage" folder on one of my drives... then copy the extracted files over to the program directory. Might try that with UAC off...