Author Topic: Bombardment Pefection?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Cassaralla (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Bombardment Pefection?
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »
Ok so I finally found an NPR that was actually a challenge to take down.  Single system with no colonies but they were at least 2 tech levels ahead of me on weapons yet had slower ships overall.  As I'd pounded the previous NPR to scrap at long range with missiles I expected to do the same here.  I imagine my face was very like that of the Peep Admiral in Weber's books when the Manties used MDMs for the first time when I detected missiles incoming at a range of at least 50 million km more than I could throw them.  Took heavy losses wiping out their combat fleet and only won through having far superior numbers.  (Had to throw Home Fleet at them though, I'd have been in trouble if they'd gotten past me.)

So enemy fleet destroyed I drift the fleet up to maximum missile range of the planet and call up my Bombardment Cruisers.  A corvette scout sent in found the huge amount of military contacts on the planet so I opened up with a conservative 5 salvoes of 25 warhead 10 missiles, thinking the population would cave.  They didn't.   So another 5 salvoes.  Still no surrender.  Emptied the magazines then in frustration (leaving 1 missile in each cruiser due to my inept design of their magazines initially.)  Massive explosions all around but still no surrender.  Fired off the last 5 missiles on the basis that I may as well as I had them there, and ordered the main fleet back to the Homeworld leaving a blockade picket behind.  Lo and behold the population surrenders as the last 5 missiles detonate.

Excellent I thought.  a 1500 million world to add to the empire . . . . except radiation stands at 15000 and the dust is so thick the world has become uninhabitable.  I'm beginning to think the resources invested in the Bombardment Cruisers would have been better spent on faster troop transports and more assault divisions.

Ah well, at least i can turn the planet into an irradiated auto mining colony.  :)

Offline Rathos

• R
Re: Bombardment Pefection?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »
This made me want to design a planetary duster weapon.

Code: [Select]
Planetry Siege Bundle - 950
Missile Size: 10000 MSP  (500 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 25     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 10000 km/s    Endurance: 60 minutes   Range: 36.0m km
ECM Level: 250
Cost Per Missile: 30693.7817
Second Stage: Zero-Point Planetry Siege Missile x950
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 2 hours   Overall Range: 216.0m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 100%   3k km/s 30%   5k km/s 20%   10k km/s 10%
Materials Required:    125x Corbomite   22568.75x Tritanium   7762.2817x Gallicite   Fuel x500000

Zero-Point Planetry Siege Missile
Missile Size: 10 MSP  (0.5 HS)     Warhead: 90    Armour: 5     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 40000 km/s    Endurance: 75 minutes   Range: 180.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 30.4167
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 400%   3k km/s 130%   5k km/s 80%   10k km/s 40%
Materials Required:    23.75x Tritanium   6.4167x Gallicite   Fuel x2500

Development Cost for Project: 3042RP

Note it was made on my "Playground" a place where I have all the technology and just design the biggest baddest things and don't really play.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
Also remember that you can research up the radiation yield of the missiles.  this allows you to kill more population with less dust and fallout.

That'll clean out the vermin infesting your new planets without messing up the real estate.  

GFFP for the win!

Offline Rathos

• R
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
The idea of that siege bundle was to render the plant completely uninhabitable  :wink:

If we want to take the planet without destroying the fragile eco system we'll send in a

Planetary Assault Command Ship 11B class Battle Barge    2536150 tons     96462 Crew     284488.6 BP      TCS 50723  TH 100000  EM 0
1971 km/s     Armour 100-1656     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 7900     PPV 100
Annual Failure Rate: 6512%    IFR: 90.5%    Maintenance Capacity 553911 MSP    Max Repair 150 MSP
Flag Bridge    Troop Capacity: 21 Battalions    Drop Capacity: 21 Battalions    Magazine 4900    Cargo Handling Multiplier 25    

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.9 (500)    Power 200    Fuel Use 9%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000,000 Litres    Range 394.2 billion km   (2314 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (100)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 15
Missile Fire Control FC80-R1 (4)     Range 2.4m km    Resolution 1
Defender I AMM (4900)  Speed: 25,600 km/s   End: 1.3m    Range: 2m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 512 / 307 / 153

Active Search Sensor S60-R20 (1)     GPS 1200     Range 12.0m km    Resolution 20
Active Search Sensor S60-R1 (1)     GPS 60     Range 600k km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor S60-R500 (1)     GPS 30000     Range 300.0m km    Resolution 500

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

With a Planetary Assault Division.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:16:33 AM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
GFFP for the win!

Jeff, You just had to go there!!  The bad part is I've been considering what tech combinations would work best for this.  

For those new to the group....  GFFP is Genocide For Fun and Profit.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
GFFP for the win!

Jeff, You just had to go there!!

Heh heh heh

Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
The bad part is I've been considering what tech combinations would work best for this.  

Research up the radiation conversion of the warheads.  You can then neutron bomb the heck out of them if they survived the elimination of their PDCs.

If you really want to keep the real estate, have a heavily defended meson ship to scrape the PDCs then neutron bomb the planet.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
If you really want to get ugly, just put a high radiation warhead that does less than 1 point of damage.  You will do lots of radiation damage, but none of the installations will be damaged.  That will let you take over the planet and ship all those nice installations out without having to blow them up.  I would also use a heavily armed meson ship to take out any PDC's on the planet of course.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:27:20 AM »
Quote from: "Brian"
". . . a high radiation warhead that does less than 1 point of damage.  You will do lots of radiation damage, but none of the installations will be damaged."

That . . . sounds like a bug.  Enhanced-radiation weapons should do less damage to installations, but not no damage at all.  One of Steve's primary objections to Starfire after all was the ability to 'glass' a planet one day, and start landing your own colonists the next.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:15 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
". . . a high radiation warhead that does less than 1 point of damage.  You will do lots of radiation damage, but none of the installations will be damaged."

That . . . sounds like a bug.  Enhanced-radiation weapons should do less damage to installations, but not no damage at all.  One of Steve's primary objections to Starfire after all was the ability to 'glass' a planet one day, and start landing your own colonists the next.
It does reduced damage to buildings, or at least it should do. I can see where this is a problem though because Brian has pointed out the situation of small warheads with less than 1 damage (which effectively means zero damage). I need to figure out how to deal with this issue.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

It does reduced damage to buildings, or at least it should do. I can see where this is a problem though because Brian has pointed out the situation of small warheads with less than 1 damage (which effectively means zero damage). I need to figure out how to deal with this issue.
In v4.91, the minimum warhead damage will be 1 for Enhanced-radiation warheads. This won't create an exploit to gain strength-1 warheads on tiny missiles because the warhead strength will be zero for both normal damage and radiation if the allocated MSP for warhead is less than that required for a strength-1 normal warhead.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

In v4.91, the minimum warhead damage will be 1 for Enhanced-radiation warheads. This won't create an exploit to gain strength-1 warheads on tiny missiles because the warhead strength will be zero for both normal damage and radiation if the allocated MSP for warhead is less than that required for a strength-1 normal warhead.

Steve

That should work just fine.  In response to the comment about glassing a planet and then landing colonist the next, it would not work.  The radiation would be so high that your colonists couldn't get anything done.  The amount of radiation on the planet is a modifier on all production so even if there is enough infrastructure to keep the colonist alive (I am not sure if that actually would work) they still could not do anything for a couple of decades.

Brian

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »
I've never tried it.  

Does the enhanced radiation warhead increase the radiation level of the planet or does it act like current enhanced radiation warheads are suppose to: it increases the radiation pulse but it decreases the fallout and lingering radiation?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »
I've never tried it.  

Does the enhanced radiation warhead increase the radiation level of the planet or does it act like current enhanced radiation warheads are suppose to: it increases the radiation pulse but it decreases the fallout and lingering radiation?
These enhanced radiation warheads are more of the dirty nuke effect.  You are trading increased radiation for a sub-obtimal immediate damage.

Brian

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
I've never tried it.  

These enhanced radiation warheads are more of the dirty nuke effect.  You are trading increased radiation for a sub-obtimal immediate damage.

Brian

My preference would be for the opposite but I understand that isn't likely to happen unless Steve changes his mind.