Author Topic: Great mining world, with a catch.  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Soralin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
Great mining world, with a catch.
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:05 AM »
I discovered an amazing world to set up automated mines on, It's not large enough for a population, but it has a great accessibility and good amounts of a lot of resources.

And it hasn't had a geological team survey done yet either.  It's a small world in the Wolf 629 system.

The catch lies in the neighboring system:

In which you can see the only known route to the Wolf 629 system, along with a nearby pair of gigantic plasma torpedo armed battleships of death.  Floating nearby is the wreckage of my last attempt to set up a route to this mining world.  As seen by a nearby small ship with big passive sensors, which is trying to remain unnoticed.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Great mining world, with a catch.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »
Quote from: "Soralin"
I discovered an amazing world to set up automated mines on, It's not large enough for a population, but it has a great accessibility and good amounts of a lot of resources.

And it hasn't had a geological team survey done yet either.  It's a small world in the Wolf 629 system.

The catch lies in the neighboring system:
<SNIP>
In which you can see the only known route to the Wolf 629 system, along with a nearby pair of gigantic plasma torpedo armed battleships of death.  Floating nearby is the wreckage of my last attempt to set up a route to this mining world.  As seen by a nearby small ship with big passive sensors, which is trying to remain unnoticed.
I don't know what your level of technology is; however, you could end up using a so many minerals in building a war fleet to open a route to the planet that the mining return is no longer viable.
Welchbloke

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:25:28 AM »
I'd leave it well alone and try to get the poor Telescope out of there. (Good luck).
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline Soralin (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:28 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I don't know what your level of technology is; however, you could end up using a so many minerals in building a war fleet to open a route to the planet that the mining return is no longer viable.
Low, my ships have ion drives, and a couple of the best asteroids and comets in the sol system have had a mineral or two depleted.  Which is why this was such a nice target to move all of my automated mines to.  I have a habitable world I've terraformed that has a lot more minerals then this, but in terms of accessibility for this many minerals, it beats or matches even the comets that I've surveyed, while having a lot more minerals than most of them do.