Author Topic: How long are your games?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Dr. Toboggan (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
How long are your games?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
I've been playing Aurora for a month or so now, and I keep starting new games, but I never get very far.   I don't have NPRs, and I always keep trying to mine the Solar System.   I also start researching military techs and such, but I have no need for them, and I am getting into a sort of slump.   Any help?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: How long are your games?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
If you start with no NPRs, you have to expand.
Every time you enter a system with a habitable planet (either oxygen or methane), there is a chance for a NPR to be generated (chances can be set at game set-up).

So my tip for you would be to start at 0. Do a TN start with some 200,000 research points, choose to distribute those points yourselve in the set-up and do _not_ use them, so you have the basic techs, but nothing else), while the NPRs generated will have those 200,000 RPs to play with.
Build jump-capable survey ships and start to expand right off the bat.

This should make things interesting, once you run into your first NPR   (insert evil laughter here)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
My current game is about 45 years in, with a large population and conventional start. I've only started exploring the first couple systems, but I expect exploration to speed up soon.

As for no NPRs: do lots of exploring and raise the generation chances if you need to.

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
I'm 93 years into my first conquest of the galaxy.

I don't really have any enemies and simply set goals for myself.  Long term goals are to expand my empire and research like crazy.  Shorter term goals are/were to design and field a fleet of fuel harvesters and their support vessels and colonize and terraform all 14 potential worlds in the Shklovskij system.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:48 AM »
I've started and abandoned many games, usually getting 20-30 years in before loosing interest, sometimes it's because I have started several themed games at once and keeping track of them is rather difficult.
My first few games were abandoned after some rather n00bish errors, running out of fuel or just having rather poor starting setup.
But I've learned enough that I think I can probably continue my current game which has been on hold for weeks, but there is always an itch when coming back to perhaps restart. I can't always fight it off.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:04:50 AM »
I had two test games where I played for like 15 years to see what the game is like. Now I am running a Youtube LP game where I am in year 2083 with a start in the year 2050 - so 33 years in game (some 15-18 hours game time). And I intend going on :)
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "