Author Topic: Attatching Shipyards to Stations  (Read 2514 times)

Offline ThunderRush (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Attatching Shipyards to Stations
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:49 AM »
Since I saw the page in the Wiki that talks about tows and being able to attache auxiliary things to other ships (?) I wanted to ask if it is possible to attach a shipyard to another ship, i. e.  a space station?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Attatching Shipyards to Stations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »
That means what you mean about attaching. You can use a Tug to tow a shipyard from one planet to another. Other than that you can't include a shipyard into a ship design.

Offline ThunderRush (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »
So much I gathered.  Just wondered if I could construct a shipyard, tug it off and slam it into a spacestation.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »
Tow the yard yes, but I don't know about the yard operating when it is not stationed at a system body.  It would be interesting from an RP angle if a station can be the mineral and labor source to operate a shipyard in deep space.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
So much I gathered.  Just wondered if I could construct a shipyard, tug it off and slam it into a spacestation.
If by "Slam it into a spacestation" you mean, pick it up and drop it off at manned orbital colony, then yes. Towing using tractors is the only way of transporting shipyards, you can leave them lying around anywhere in space just like a ship, but they will only operate at a colony, and you can only establish a colony at a not gas giant planet or any moon or asteroid. But you can make a small moon orbiting a gas giant into a colony then dump orbital habitats there to make it livable, a giant Babylon 5 style habitat is possible too, just don't try to move it untill you have a few billion spare fuel. Also note that shipyards require stu
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline ThunderRush (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
That is kinda sad, since - xeryon already said it - it would go well with a RP theme.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:06:37 AM »
That is kinda sad, since - xeryon already said it - it would go well with a RP theme.

Not really needed imho. There is no logic in having a deepspace shipyard far away from cheap labour and material.

And as long as it is at the same colony as your station is, you can just RP that they are attached to eachother.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
Many things in Aurora are not actually needed.  This would be a considerably different application if logical game-play decisions had been made about features.  I like the concept of a body-less spacefaring civilization that only live on stations.  Maybe their host star died or they were remnants of an exploration/colony group that got cut off and had to make due with what they had.  Who knows?  My assumption is that it wouldn't be difficult to modify shipyard code so that in the absence of a system body that a tractor beam attached vessel with a cargo hold and an orbital habitat would function the same.

Offline Malikane

• Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
I admit, one of the saddest things for me was realizing you couldn't have orbital habitats in a gas giant to make a colony. No Cloud City. No sorium harvesting cities.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:02:13 AM »
I admit, one of the saddest things for me was realizing you couldn't have orbital habitats in a gas giant to make a colony. No Cloud City. No sorium harvesting cities.

That would have been pretty cool :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »
Also note that shipyards require stu
Stupid quantities of labour.

It would be nice if you could spawn asteroids or comets when/wherever you wanted, then if you found a nice gas giant you wanted to establish a city on you could SM a small body in orbit to establish a colony on top of.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "