Author Topic: Aurora Technology  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Rye123 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hi.
Aurora Technology
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »
Hi, random question I was wondering about. . .

How did Steve come up with all the names for the various technologies in the game, like "Inertial Confinement etc", "Tokamak Reactor" etc. . .
Are those possible future technologies or did Steve just mix some random words together in some form of technobabble?

Offline Tor Cha

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
Re: Aurora Technology
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
Steve Has Had Lots of Experience with Naming Stuff. He has done lots of stuff also. Look for a Line/Topic with Star fire Game & Steve W. In there is a Short Bio of Steve's Life. So I think He is Quiet good at Naming Stuff. Any thing more would Need to come from Steve HimSelf. Sorry But it is His story to tell if you want more than what is there in those Topics!

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »
There is a real Tokamak reactor in testing as we speak, so yes some things are what you could call near-future stuff.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
Hi, random question I was wondering about. . .

How did Steve come up with all the names for the various technologies in the game, like "Inertial Confinement etc", "Tokamak Reactor" etc. . .
Are those possible future technologies or did Steve just mix some random words together in some form of technobabble?

A lot of the energy generation and propulsion technologies are actual, theoretical and practical reactor and engine designs.Likewise with a number of missile warhead designs.

Offline jonw

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
The real-world equivalent of pulse propulsion is fascinating.  Look at the wiki page for project Orion - we could actually manufacture it!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
The early tech stuff is real, for instance as I recall modern nuclear warheads are fusion boosted fission (5 per MSP), which is a two stage thermonuclear weapon. The higher techs are theoretical, for instance the tri cobalt tech is from star trek, which in turn was based on a theory from the cold war about a so called 'cobalt' salted nuclear weapon.
Power techs are similar, most nuclear power plants in operation are third generation pressurised light water reactors, fast breeder reactors (gas cooled?) are used for making plutonium for nuclear weapons programs but there aren't many in operation, other techs there are experimental, such as pebble bed reactors, or the fusion types which there are many kinds being experimented on such as tokamak, stellarator, magneto inertial fusion, etc before going into science fiction again with techs like Antimatter and vacuum energy, which are theoreically possible but not really.
Then propulsion is similar with experiments being done in the 50's or 60s with nuclear thermal fusion, nuclear pulse fusion was worked on with the idea of dropping coke can sized bombs out of a dispenser designed by coke vending machine experts (no joke) and launching a spacecraft sitting on top of a thick steel plate. Project orion as already mentioned.
Ion and magneto plasma are real technologies that are actually used for spacecraft, they produce a hell of a lot of delta V (change in velocity) for a tiny amount of fuel, but require immense power, either nuclear or solar power, solar power is bulky so generally these techs are used for a miniscule amount of power which is used over a very long period to get anywhere.
Then once again you get into sci fi terms.
Finally the trans newtonian minerals are loaded with science fiction, the majority of them (maybe all?) are even the original series of star trek, like Duranium, Corbomite, Neutronium (common in scifi, an atom made entirely out of neutrons), Gallicite, Sorium, Vendarite etc.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:57:22 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
Finally the trams newtonian minerals are loaded with science fiction, the majority of them (maybe all?) are even the original series of star trek, like Duranium, Corbomite, Neutronium (common in scifi, an atom made entirely out of neutrons), Gallicite, Sorium, Vendarite etc.

Yes, they are all from the original series  :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
Yes, they are all from the original series  :)
It's been some time since I've seen them, pre Aurora even, I should go back. I was a little dissuaded by the remastered versions CGI changes, But I think the blue ray does let you watch the remastered film with it's origonal effects intact. I think it's time I get the set.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Tor Cha

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
If your wanting Original Star Trek, Look for BBc America on fridays 3Pm Central you will See them.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
Not going to help Mark much I'm afraid, wrong continent
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »
Not going to help Mark much I'm afraid, wrong continent

if he is anywhere near the Ruined Sheep Paddock I could lend him mine...
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 06:59:15 AM »
Nah I'm good mate, cheers.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
How do you think the species in Aurora discovered transnewtonian materials? I like to think that they are all artificially made in a lab from existing elements rather than humans suddenly stumbling on a vein of magic rocks they haven't ever seen in all their years of mining.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 12:10:46 AM »
One common explanation is that in planetary environments they are usually present in the planets core, requiring highly exotic mining technologies.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 12:20:48 AM »
They're quantum elements, entangled inside regular elements but out of phase with normal physics. You don't even know they're there unless you have instruments with extreme sensitivity, and you need to know what you're looking for anyway. Maybe when the entire periodic table is finished we'll have a model of what is possible and find holes in the model where stuff should exist. Looking for that unlocks the weird stuff.