Author Topic: Dropping Troops from Orbit  (Read 11325 times)

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
Re: Dropping Troops from Orbit
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
Steve, just for comparisons sake, how much warship tonnage did that NPR have to go along with the ground defenses? I am just trying to estimate the required build capacities.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2018, 07:38:18 AM »
Steve, just for comparisons sake, how much warship tonnage did that NPR have to go along with the ground defenses? I am just trying to estimate the required build capacities.

It has about a million tons of warships. It is quite a large NPR with 1.5 billion population, 1100 construction factories, 56 research facilities, 245,000 tons of naval shipyard capacity and 1.1m tons of commercial shipyards.

It recently upgraded all its warship designs and is now building its first run of second generation ships. It can also upgrade its ground force designs, although it hasn't done that yet.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »
Are you going to let us spectate NPRs in C# as you talked about in another thread? Sounds fascinating to watch.
Can't wait to read about NPR vs NPR tests too.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:05:48 AM by Tree »

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »

It has about a million tons of warships. It is quite a large NPR with 1.5 billion population, 1100 construction factories, 56 research facilities, 245,000 tons of naval shipyard capacity and 1.1m tons of commercial shipyards.

It recently upgraded all its warship designs and is now building its first run of second generation ships. It can also upgrade its ground force designs, although it hasn't done that yet.
If you want to drop roughly equal forces, 500kt of troops, and assume your drop ships survive 3 runs, and assume your drop ships carry 50% of their tonnage, you need 300kt of dropships.
That would be currently 30% more military tonnage, but then again an equal sized empire should likely not be able to easily make that effort to conquer a homeworld. Every other colony will be much more lightly defended.
That is a tall order, but by no means infeasible. Putting on shields or using military engines will increase survival rate a lot, as double the speed means half the time under fire even without any lower to-hit chances from going above tracking speed, but maintenance and ease of building would likely still outclass any higher performance, which seems sad.

I think a buff to naval shipyards would make invasions possible, and simultaneously help larger ships, which seems to be a separate goal of C#.
Alternatively, increasing the cost of ground units some would decrease total formation sizes, and thus reduce transport requirements for invasions.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2018, 10:36:51 AM »
Are you going to let us spectate NPRs in C# as you talked about in another thread? Sounds fascinating to watch.
Can't wait to read about NPR vs NPR tests too.

The next campaign should be two NPRs, with jump ships and one without, and a TN player race, plus Precursors and Swarm active. My focus at the moment is the code to make that new campaign happen.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2019, 06:44:45 AM »
I must say that I don't like how commercial designs cost nothing to maintain. I agree that you should not need maintenance supplies and do overhaul on them but you could very well add a wealth cost to them, one you have to pay each 5 day cycle no matter where they are. But this is not the main discussion soo...

Maybe Steve can make commercial ships also cost maintenance. Let me explain.
Every ship of commercial size or specification does have maintenance supplies. Those are drained during flight time, but at a (very) low rate. Every time they do arrive at a port which has maintenance supplies, they auto refill their stockpile. So normally commercial ships shouldn't ever get into trouble of running out of maintenance supplies - other than if you are careless enough having them never show up at a port with supplies. Thinks breaking apart should only be checked by the game if a commercial ship runs out of supplies.

This could serve the point of having commercial ships also cost supplies as well as not increasing micromanagement by much. You generally have to pay attention that you have ports in the queue which have maintenance supplies and have them produce enough. It would even be possible to give those ships a general order "if maintenance < 10%" go refuel at nearest supply depot; if they don't drive on a route which has supply refuel in them.

And for ships without an engine one maybe can create a maintenance supply ship which can deliver to those ships maintenance supplies with an automated commmand. Something like "Check all fleets in system if they have >25% maintenance supplies. Íf not restock them."

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »
I must say that I don't like how commercial designs cost nothing to maintain. I agree that you should not need maintenance supplies and do overhaul on them but you could very well add a wealth cost to them, one you have to pay each 5 day cycle no matter where they are. But this is not the main discussion soo...

Maybe Steve can make commercial ships also cost maintenance. Let me explain.
Every ship of commercial size or specification does have maintenance supplies. Those are drained during flight time, but at a (very) low rate. Every time they do arrive at a port which has maintenance supplies, they auto refill their stockpile. So normally commercial ships shouldn't ever get into trouble of running out of maintenance supplies - other than if you are careless enough having them never show up at a port with supplies. Thinks breaking apart should only be checked by the game if a commercial ship runs out of supplies.

This could serve the point of having commercial ships also cost supplies as well as not increasing micromanagement by much. You generally have to pay attention that you have ports in the queue which have maintenance supplies and have them produce enough. It would even be possible to give those ships a general order "if maintenance < 10%" go refuel at nearest supply depot; if they don't drive on a route which has supply refuel in them.

And for ships without an engine one maybe can create a maintenance supply ship which can deliver to those ships maintenance supplies with an automated commmand. Something like "Check all fleets in system if they have >25% maintenance supplies. Íf not restock them."

It would be no more problematic than making sure they have enough fuel to get where they need to go.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler