Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 145219 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #285 on: August 15, 2016, 09:00:14 AM »
The future is looking bright for Aurora, I wonder what amazing new features could be added to slow the game back down again, anyone got some ideas?
More thoughtful AI perhaps? Realtime 3D graphics? Shaders?  Er, maybe not.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Dfuzzed

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #286 on: August 15, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=8438. msg95751#msg95751 date=1471269614
The future is looking bright for Aurora, I wonder what amazing new features could be added to slow the game back down again, anyone got some ideas?
More thoughtful AI perhaps? Realtime 3D graphics? Shaders?  Er, maybe not.

More indepth economics and internal politics.
Battalions consisting of real soldiers which are recruited from the population.  How many can be recruited is based of pop size, laws, government type, etc

Offline Indefatigable

• Chief Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #287 on: August 15, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Quote from: Dfuzzed link=topic=8438. msg95754#msg95754 date=1471279915
More indepth economics and internal politics. 
Battalions consisting of real soldiers which are recruited from the population.   How many can be recruited is based of pop size, laws, government type, etc
Absolutely needs name generation for every individual soldier.

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #288 on: August 15, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
Quote from: Indefatigable link=topic=8438. msg95757#msg95757 date=1471296263

No joke, I'd genuinely love that.  Detailed casualty reports, watching individual notable soldiers rise up and so forth.  Completely useless and overkill in anything other than a role play sense, but I'd still love it.

At the least though I would enjoy seeing pops depleted to accommodate military construction.  Doesn't have to be 1-1, you can make the pop drained much higher than the battalion's actual combat force is, to account for the significant number of military non-combat positions behind the scenes in each unit.

Offline Dfuzzed

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #289 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »
Quote from: Indefatigable link=topic=8438. msg95757#msg95757 date=1471296263

YES! And every piece of equipement with its own stats and custom named.  Not to mention the soldiers family tree which needs to be fully simulated.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2016, 05:56:20 AM »
When I originally wrote Aurora, I didn't realise how large it would eventually become so I didn't emphasis performance while coding. Now I am considering performance from the start and that alone makes a big difference.

Sounds like the codebase was long overdue for some rewriting / refactoring! Awesome!

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »
That seems like an amazing speed improvement, especially given how large that test game must be by now. Seems like you will need to factor in some sort of delay functionality so that when you hit auto turns the game does not run away from you.

Seems to me that you could switch to one second ticks now and bring in a whole new range of fast firing weapons to take advantage of it....

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46:56 AM »
I wonder if one-second tick would boost or nerf energy weapons. Higher firing rate would be nice and helps against missiles, but then the range would be even more ridiculous.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
This is the Event Window. I am still playing around with it but the final window will look like something along these lines. It is very similar to the existing window. You can change the event colours and hide event types. The functionality is a little different as you can now just click any event and hide that type rather than scrolling through the list. You can override the hide flag by clicking the Show All Events checkbox. The colours are ones I just setup for the screenshot - you can use whatever colours you like for each event type and these are set by each race.

Rather than a number of events, you set the number of days into the past for which you wish to see events.

Also, there is a new dropdown for Event Category, which groups events into Production, Mining, Environment, Ships, Commanders, etc. so you can filter the view.

Events for the last two increments are taking place as I advance time in C# Aurora (as a lot of the population-related production/research code is complete). Everything earlier happening in VB6. The addition of this window will make the next stages easier as I can see what is happening in the game, rather than having to step through code.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, nadia911, consiefe

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
Here is a quick update on what is complete so far

Tactical Map Display
Class Design
Class Window
Events Window
Select Names Window
Orbital Movement
Harvester Production
Wealth Production
Population Growth
Mining
Production by Construction Factories
Production by Ordnance Factories
Production by Fighter Factories
Ground Unit Training
Shipyard Upgrades
Shipyard Tasks
Fuel Production
Research
Maintenance Production
Trade Updates

Still a long way to go (not even started on movement, detection, system generation, AI, Fleet & Ship Windows, Commanders, etc.) but starting to make a noticeable dent in the task and I have laid a lot of ground work for some of the work ahead. Finding the time is still the greatest problem.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »
Here is a quick update on what is complete so far

Still a long way to go (not even started on movement, detection, system generation, AI, Fleet & Ship Windows, Commanders, etc.) but starting to make a noticeable dent in the task and I have laid a lot of ground work for some of the work ahead. Finding the time is still the greatest problem.

Happy to see you active and passionate...:D
See ya in Facebook,old friend.

The following users thanked this post: Koffee

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »
Please enjoy a celebratory, imaginary beer on me in thanks of all your hard work so far.

The following users thanked this post: waresky, consiefe

Offline CaptainEarth

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »
This looks great! Are you planning to add an option for resolutions here, because at the moment I need to hook up my laptop to my tv screen to enjoy this game  ;D

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #298 on: September 10, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »
This is the first screenshot from the new Naval Organisation window. This window will replace the VB6 Task Group and Ship windows, plus several minor windows used for reporting of fuel, maintenance, etc. It is a work in progress but the screenshot below shows the sidebar plus the Ship List tab of the Fleets tab.

Sidebar
Instead of the Task Forces and Task Groups in VB6 Aurora, C# Aurora takes an approach similar to the optional functionality of the VB6 Naval Organisation tab, albeit with much easier and more flexible UI. There are four primary components of Naval Organisation; Admin Commands, Fleets (VB6 Task Groups), Sub-Fleets and Ships. The Admin Commands in green and the sub-fleets in light blue are purely administrative constructs and don't appear on the tactical map.

Every race starts with a single top level Admin Command (which can't be deleted but can be renamed). All other Admin Commands descend in a tree from this one. You can only attach an Admin Command to another Admin Command but you can have an unlimited number of levels in the Admin Command hierarchy.

Fleets can only be attached to Admin Commands. Many fleets can be attached to a single Admin Command but each fleet can only be attached to one Admin Command

Sub-Fleets can only be attached to a Fleet, or to another sub-fleet. You can have an unlimited number of levels within the sub-fleet hierarchy. These are used to organise the ships within the larger fleets. Sub-fleets have no on-map function and all ships within the sub-fleet hierarchy move within the parent fleet.

A Ship can be attached to a Fleet or to a sub-fleet. When attached to a sub-fleet, it is still a member of the parent Fleet at the top of the sub-fleet hierarchy.

The sidebar tree has full drag and drop functionality so you can move Admin Commands, Fleets, Sub-Fleets and Ships around as long as the above rules are followed. You can also drag ships and sub-fleets between different fleets as long as they are in the same physical location. Entire sections of the tree can be moved with a single drag-drop. Also, you can open up multiple Fleet windows and drag and drop between the trees in two different windows.

You can detach a sub-fleet with a single click, at which point it becomes a full fleet in its own right. Any sub-fleets further down the sub-fleet hierarchy become sub-fleets of this new fleet.

I will create a 'join as sub-fleet' order so when one fleet joins another, its ships will automatically form a sub-fleet within the joined fleet, allowing them to subsequently detach as a whole unit.

There is still more work to do in this area, one item of which is to include a visual cue for when a fleet is out of range of its admin command. I will also add the option to display parasites, ground units or cargo within the tree.

Fleet Summary
When the Fleets tab is selected, the top portion displays a Fleet Summary, which in function is similar to the Class or Ship summaries. The current location and any orders are displayed on the top line, while the fleet commander and his bonuses are on line two. Line three displays any useful information for the fleet, such as speed (and max speed if moving more slowly), the protection value, weapon and sensor ranges, plus any special capabilities such as survey strength, mining, terraforming or fuel harvesting. These will only appear if their value is greater than zero. Line four shows capacity-related information, such as fuel storage, cargo storage, troop transport capacity, etc. plus the total size of the military hulls in the fleet. Line five shows default and conditional orders.

Ship List
The ship list that was previously show in the upper right of the VB6 Task Group window now has its own tab. With more space, more ships can be displayed and the individual ship commanders are shown in the right-most column (the fleet commander is shown in green). Ranks now have an associated abbreviation which can be changed by the player.
When a ship has a potential issue, such as low fuel, maintenance supplies or ordnance or shields are active but depleted or the deployment time has been exceeded, that rating for the ship is highlighted in either orange or red depending on severity. For example, when fuel falls below 40% capacity, it is highlighted in orange. Below 20% is highlighted in red.

Here are some more screenshots to demonstrate the Fleet Summary section. Note the detailed information on the first line regarding location and orders.When an object is referenced for location purposes, that will be the nearest jump point or planet.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Nori

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #299 on: September 10, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
This looks great! Are you planning to add an option for resolutions here, because at the moment I need to hook up my laptop to my tv screen to enjoy this game  ;D

Initially it will be 1440 x 900 but it is a lot easier in C# than VB6 to create some smaller versions of windows, so I will tackle that once the game is otherwise complete.