Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 439493 times)

Offline snapto

• Bronze Supporter
  • Petty Officer
  • s
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #1485 on: February 19, 2018, 06:47:59 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497. msg106673#msg106673 date=1519035583
Minor milestone - a geosurvey ship just executed the first default order in C# Aurora. 

Well into the default orders code now, which is one of the major areas remaining.  As a side-benefit of completely rewriting the path-finding code, you will have the ability to pick a system from a list on the fleet orders window and have the game plot all the jumps for you (including using Lagrange points).  I'll do the same for populations and way points.

I could kiss you.   On the mouth.   Repeatedly.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1486 on: February 19, 2018, 08:46:40 AM »
Lagrange point auto pathing?

Oh thank you so much.

It's of limited utility, until you start talking about large binary systems with gas giants in orbit of each star, but oh boy are Lagrange jump points useful in that case.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1487 on: February 19, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
It's of limited utility, until you start talking about large binary systems with gas giants in orbit of each star, but oh boy are Lagrange jump points useful in that case.

Which opens the idea of a new technology which allows (at very high cost) to create artificial Lagrande points...  :o

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1488 on: February 19, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »
Minor milestone - a geosurvey ship just executed the first default order in C# Aurora.

Well into the default orders code now, which is one of the major areas remaining. As a side-benefit of completely rewriting the path-finding code, you will have the ability to pick a system from a list on the fleet orders window and have the game plot all the jumps for you (including using Lagrange points). I'll do the same for populations and way points.

This is wonderful news.
But since you did name lagrange points, something very high on my wish list would be some way to actually use bynary-or-more systems with distant companions. The old hyperdrive was removed, maybe artificial lagrange points like TMaeklar said....

You know, just posting this since you are rewriting stuff   :P

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1489 on: February 19, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »
Which opens the idea of a new technology which allows (at very high cost) to create artificial Lagrande points...  :o

No, let's not. That's not how the Lagrange calculations work.The reason it works in setting is because gas giants are so huge they affect local gravity enough to make local jumps possible.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1490 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
Maybe it could be an extension of the jump gate technology rather then artificial lagrande points. Whatever background techno babble as reasoning is needed  ;D

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1491 on: February 20, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
Yeah, it would be really neat if with the right infrastructure you could span one of those super huge systems.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #1492 on: February 21, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »
Hi Steve,

I've noticed a lot of new threads popping up in this board with minor suggestions.  I've also noticed a lot of suggestions in this thread, which technically is to discuss the changes you've made.

In VB6 Aurora, you requested that people only post to a single "official" suggestions thread, since you like to have a single place to scan for old suggestions.  Without such a thread, you have said you tend to forget old suggestions and/or have a lot of trouble locating them.  This system seems to be breaking down for C# Aurora.

So would you like to:

1)  Have people use the official thread (either the current one or a new one) in the Suggestions board for C# Aurora suggestions?
2)  Start a new suggestions thread in this (C# Aurora) board?
3)  Put suggestions in this thread?
4)  Continue with what's been going on recently (a little of everything)?
5)  Do something else?

Thanks,
John

PS - The exposition above wasn't actually for Steve; it was mostly for newcomers to the community :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1493 on: February 21, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »
Hi Steve,

I've noticed a lot of new threads popping up in this board with minor suggestions.  I've also noticed a lot of suggestions in this thread, which technically is to discuss the changes you've made.

In VB6 Aurora, you requested that people only post to a single "official" suggestions thread, since you like to have a single place to scan for old suggestions.  Without such a thread, you have said you tend to forget old suggestions and/or have a lot of trouble locating them.  This system seems to be breaking down for C# Aurora.

So would you like to:

1)  Have people use the official thread (either the current one or a new one) in the Suggestions board for C# Aurora suggestions?
2)  Start a new suggestions thread in this (C# Aurora) board?
3)  Put suggestions in this thread?
4)  Continue with what's been going on recently (a little of everything)?
5)  Do something else?

Thanks,
John

PS - The exposition above wasn't actually for Steve; it was mostly for newcomers to the community :)

Hi John,

Thanks - you are correct that I am losing track of the suggestions :)

I think the best option is a specific C# Suggestions thread, so that this thread can concentrate on discussing the Changes List.

Regards,
Steve

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1494 on: February 21, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »
So, with the last changes, in order to start up civilian shipping lines one must have two inhabitated colonies. Which in turn means, the player has to build cargo and colony ships so that a second colony can be founded.

While I perfectly understand the reasoning, it does sound a bit painful for conventional start people like me  ;D

Can I ask about the rationale behind this? Is it to simulate that nations would not allow civilians to move into space first?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1495 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »
So, with the last changes, in order to start up civilian shipping lines one must have two inhabitated colonies. Which in turn means, the player has to build cargo and colony ships so that a second colony can be founded.

While I perfectly understand the reasoning, it does sound a bit painful for conventional start people like me  ;D

Can I ask about the rationale behind this? Is it to simulate that nations would not allow civilians to move into space first?

Only colony ships actually. You don't have to put infrastructure on the Moon or Mars. It just means the first 'volunteers' die in droves.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1496 on: February 21, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »

1) To create more of a sense of achievement in establishing the first colony, rather than dropping off infrastructure and waiting for the civilians to take over.
2) To slow down the initial shipping line build up.
3) (less important but useful) To make the conditions under which ships appear to be very clear.

The 'civilians in space' is less of a rationale, particularly as it appears that might be the more likely option in real life :)

The following users thanked this post: Nori

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #1497 on: February 21, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
> To create more of a sense of achievement in establishing the first colony

microtransaction and loot boxes confirmed

The following users thanked this post: Nori

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #1498 on: February 21, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks - you are correct that I am losing track of the suggestions :)

I think the best option is a specific C# Suggestions thread, so that this thread can concentrate on discussing the Changes List.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve.  I went ahead and made a new thread (for "v0.x" suggestions) for you, stickied it, and added some posting guidelines with the hope of keeping the signal/noise high for you when you browse it.

Best,
John

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #1499 on: February 21, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
I could kiss you.   On the mouth.   Repeatedly.
I am Second in line to kiss steve! Especially with the new path finding code.