Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359791 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #585 on: November 02, 2020, 09:44:46 PM »
What temperature does water start condensing out of the atmosphere? I see in the Terraforming update post that the boiling point of water is set to -18C, but is there a max temperature above which you can't have any liquid water?

I'm trying to terraform Mercury to human norm and got the temperature cost below 2.0, but there's no water so the cost stopped decreasing. I started adding water and noticed it wasn't precipitating out...which makes sense, because the surface temperature is still like 280C.

Well the boiling point of water is 100C so try to get it below that.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #586 on: November 02, 2020, 09:49:01 PM »
That's my suspicion, but it's gonna take about 20 years to do that so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knew the answer. The lower temp limit is just barely in the human habitable range, so if the required temp is too low, it's impossible and I should just stop terraforming.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #587 on: November 03, 2020, 01:24:29 AM »
Mmmhhhmmmm, I now see I made an error...Started a conventional game in 1800AD and knowing that family sizes were larger then, sometime much larger... I changed the population increase to 3.0.... That is a huge misstake, now almost 50 years into the future I have almost 14 billion souls...
I presume I can not change this setting? ???
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #588 on: November 03, 2020, 02:58:13 AM »
Mmmhhhmmmm, I now see I made an error...Started a conventional game in 1800AD and knowing that family sizes were larger then, sometime much larger... I changed the population increase to 3.0.... That is a huge misstake, now almost 50 years into the future I have almost 14 billion souls...
I presume I can not change this setting? ???

Open the Race Information window after have activated the Space Master. You should be able to change the details there. Remember to push save species before closing though

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #589 on: November 03, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
Terra has the following lines in Economics window:

Police Strength/ Resistance   5182/4702

Annual Unrest modifier: 110%

All other have the line following line above:

Protection Required/ Actual

Does this mean you don't need protection on your capital?

How much does a large unemployment affect unrest, if any?
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #590 on: November 03, 2020, 10:47:44 AM »
You don't need PPV in your capital. Unemployment has zero impact on unrest.

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #591 on: November 03, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
Newbish question, in VB6 you could right click on any system body and create a colony on it, but this option is now gone it seems -- unless I'm missing something ?? -- this was very practical.

So now, how do you easily create a colony on an asteroid, as the list of system bodies in System Generation and Display can't be sorted. Say, how do you create easily a colony on Polyxena?

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #592 on: November 03, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
Newbish question, in VB6 you could right click on any system body and create a colony on it, but this option is now gone it seems -- unless I'm missing something ?? -- this was very practical.

So now, how do you easily create a colony on an asteroid, as the list of system bodies in System Generation and Display can't be sorted. Say, how do you create easily a colony on Polyxena?

- You don't, that feature is not yet implemented. I strongly suspect it will be... eventually :)

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #593 on: November 06, 2020, 06:15:15 AM »
Very quick question: I'm playing a multi-PR game (classic NATO, Warsaw Pact, China and some others) and I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere for me to group contacts properly. Right now, because every human empire knows the name of the others ships, the 'Group Contacts' button just shortens the contact name so, for example, I get "FT Da, FT Gren, FT Dre" rather than "3x Pacific S AK"

Or, to word it differently, can you get group contacts to work usefully while still naming ships?

Offline jscott991

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #594 on: November 06, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
Do you need a fire control to place sensor buoys?  I see a 2016 Reddit post that says no, but I don't know if things have changed.

Are sensor buoys even worth it if you can just put Deep Space Tracking Sensors in a system?

I find the idea of buoys intriguing, but I have no idea how to actually make them work.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #595 on: November 06, 2020, 06:07:56 PM »
Do you need a fire control to place sensor buoys?  I see a 2016 Reddit post that says no, but I don't know if things have changed.

Are sensor buoys even worth it if you can just put Deep Space Tracking Sensors in a system?

I find the idea of buoys intriguing, but I have no idea how to actually make them work.

You do not need a fire control to do the "launch ready ordnance" command at a location. If you want to shoot probes at a waypoint, you DO need a firecontrol, but it doesn't have to have sufficient range so you can just use a min size one.

DSTs are much weaker in C# than in VB6; it is very hard to get enough of them to be able to see all the jump points. Sensor buoys dropped on a jump point are a mainstay of my games.

Offline jscott991

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #596 on: November 06, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
How does "launch ready ordinance" work?

How do I get the probe into the launcher without a fire control (it doesn't seem I can assign a missile to the launcher without assigning the launcher to a fire control)?

I must be missing something basic.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #597 on: November 06, 2020, 10:04:59 PM »
Oh, good point. Yeah, you need a fire control in order to be able to even assign ordnance. So you need a fire control for the launch ready ordnance command too.

Launch ready ordnance is a move command; the ship goes to the destination then dumps 1 of every item assigned to a launcher. Good for dropping buoys on jump points.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #598 on: November 07, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
"Launch ready ordnance" literally means "throw it out the door".

Or, to word it differently, can you get group contacts to work usefully while still naming ships?
No, you can't.

Offline Anamori

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #599 on: November 07, 2020, 07:51:59 PM »
I had an intresting problem with fighters using them in an non-classic way.  I was trying to use design akin to trans-newtonian Space shuttle or SpaceX Starship with just small cryo and engines for Earth-Mars evacuation (Death spiral at 0. 03 and 500m start forces you to use everything you have).  They can load/unload only using spaceport .  There is no space port at Mars at this point in time, no place to put shuttles inside -shuttle- too.  Soo. . . 

Part of the background in C# Aurora will be that large TN ships function only in space and cannot move any closer to planetary bodies than low orbit.  Small craft below a limit of 500 tons, such as fighters and shuttles, are capable of landing on planets.  Ship are built in orbit and habitats are assembled in orbit.  Only fighters can be built on the ground.

It is such an uncommon application of fighters that it is most likely it would be waste of Steve time to look at it.  You can't even transport cargo this way due to size of smallest of holds (500t).  Problem will disapear once I have both spaceports.  What do you think, should it be even reported as a bug?

Code: [Select]
K-Orzel STK wz 1 class Shuttle      499 tons       11 Crew       58.3 BP       TCS 10    TH 7    EM 0
722 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 8.65 Years     MSP 25    AFR 6%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 1    5YR 9    Max Repair 20 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 1 000   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required   

Improved Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP7.20 (1)    Power 7.2    Fuel Use 19.08%    Signature 7.20    Explosion 4%
Fuel Capacity 1 000 Litres    Range 1.9 billion km (30 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction