Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359945 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #900 on: December 22, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »
For larger ships don't you want to invest in Particle Lances that you can attach multiple of?

You'd like to, but that requires you to invest in Particle Beams which are expensive. If you've already decided to go for lasers or railguns or something else, that's a lot of RP to invest in yet another weapon type just to get bigger guns.

I support this, because bigger guns, but it is expensive.

Unrelated, but how do you add Ancient Structures via the SM? Do you have to colonize a planet first?

Via SM you can only add a random ruin to a planet as far as I know. An ancient structure is not guaranteed. You might be able to modify in the DB but that sounds like a good way to break the game to me.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #901 on: December 23, 2020, 04:47:25 AM »
If you have heavily invested into lasers, you want to stick the biggest spinal laser you can on any sufficiently large warship that is expected to engage in beam combat.

As Jorgen said, it's not a matter of raw DPS. Spinal lasers have a much larger chance of simply bypassing the armor and doing some good damage every time they shoot, also due to shock damage. So yes, they shoot rarely. But when they do, it can really matter.
Aurora armor model make it so a high damage is important, because low damage, high dps weapons can unofortunately just strip armor little by little. It can be totally ok... but why not add one spinal anyway if you can?

As of particles, as nuclearslurpee said it takes a lot of research points. So yes, in an ideal world.... but more likely than not, you cannot simply research anything you want  :P

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #902 on: December 23, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »
Are Missile Sensor Buoys/Mines handled differently in C#? I designed the following simple mine:

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 8.0000 MSP  (20.00000 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s     Fuel: 496     1st Stage Flight Time: 1 seconds    1st Stage Range: 0k km
2nd Stage Flight Time: 84 seconds    2nd Stage Range: 6,938.3k km
Active Sensor Strength: 1.58   EM Sensitivity Modifier: 11
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 10,917,322 km
Cost Per Missile: 20.5024     Development Cost: 2,050
Second Stage: Denel Dynamics Umkhonto-AS Block 5 x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 3,200,000 km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%

In the design I have "No Engine" checked, and have "0" for warhead and fuel capacity. I loaded 8 of them onto a missile destroyer that had 6 size 8 launchers, and assigned a mine to each launcher. I flew to a jump point and used the "Launch Ready Ordnance" order on the jump point. However, I didn't notice any new buoys or active sensors on the map, and the Events log did not indicate anything had fired. However, did now have 6 less mines in my magazines. I tried launching a second time, this time at a Waypoint on top of the jump point, and again no missiles/event logs appeared, other than 4 logs saying four of my launcher did not have ammunition to fire.

I scrolled through all the Display settings I could find in case for some reason I just have the display of missile salvos/active sensors turned off, but everything appears to be on. How do we now launch mines/sensor buoys?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #903 on: December 23, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
Are Missile Sensor Buoys/Mines handled differently in C#? I designed the following simple mine:

Missile Size: 8.0000 MSP  (20.00000 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s     Fuel: 496     1st Stage Flight Time: 1 seconds    1st Stage Range: 0k km

In the design I have "No Engine" checked, and have "0" for warhead and fuel capacity. I loaded 8 of them onto a missile destroyer that had 6 size 8 launchers, and assigned a mine to each launcher. I flew to a jump point and used the "Launch Ready Ordnance" order on the jump point. However, I didn't notice any new buoys or active sensors on the map, and the Events log did not indicate anything had fired. However, did now have 6 less mines in my magazines. I tried launching a second time, this time at a Waypoint on top of the jump point, and again no missiles/event logs appeared, other than 4 logs saying four of my launcher did not have ammunition to fire.

I scrolled through all the Display settings I could find in case for some reason I just have the display of missile salvos/active sensors turned off, but everything appears to be on. How do we now launch mines/sensor buoys?

Mines are broken. If you had been launching single stage sensor buoys, what you did would have worked fine. But mines don't work right now.

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #904 on: December 23, 2020, 05:13:14 PM »

Mines are broken. If you had been launching single stage sensor buoys, what you did would have worked fine. But mines don't work right now.

Thanks! What about two-stage normal missiles, are those working or just stationary mines? Half my ordnance right now is yet-untested long-range drones used to deliver a short range ASM.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #905 on: December 23, 2020, 06:06:23 PM »
Is it worth making tugs use Military-class engines to get the most power out of them?

And will we ever be able to tug with multiple tugs or is that beyond the game engine? I remember there were some serious bugs associated with multi-tugging that I think are inherent to the engine.

I'd love it if we could have multi-tugging someday so I could use small fighter-sized tugs instead of these ridiculously massive ships which are just a giant engine and a cable hook.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:08:32 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #906 on: December 23, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
Is it worth making tugs use Military-class engines to get the most power out of them?

I personally don't, but I imagine if you have a surplus of fuel you could do that no problem.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #907 on: December 23, 2020, 09:00:00 PM »

I ran a quick check through my personal calculator, and it absolutely can be worth it from an efficiency standpoint. However, in practical terms tugging things is rarely if ever a time-sensitive operation (oh no, my OMP won't reach the asteroid until next month, whatever will I do?) so in terms of fuel conservation it's rarely worth putting anything but your finest commercial engine onto a tug.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #908 on: December 23, 2020, 09:10:21 PM »

I ran a quick check through my personal calculator, and it absolutely can be worth it from an efficiency standpoint. However, in practical terms tugging things is rarely if ever a time-sensitive operation (oh no, my OMP won't reach the asteroid until next month, whatever will I do?) so in terms of fuel conservation it's rarely worth putting anything but your finest commercial engine onto a tug.

You might consider using a military tug if you want to set up a deep space anchorage as a checkpoint between yourself and a new alien NPR that you just discovered. Getting those up can be much more time sensitive.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #909 on: December 23, 2020, 10:31:26 PM »
How does one make it so that constructed fighters automatically assign and dock themselves to their carrier?

What bearing does the strike group designations in the design screen have on this?

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #910 on: December 23, 2020, 11:14:40 PM »
I find it strange that you can set 'Deployment Exceeded' as a condition but there is no 'return to colony until refreshed' conditional order. I have ships return to base and then overhaul when the exceed deployment but that doesn't seem very efficient. Am I missing something?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #911 on: December 23, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »
Normally the overhaul takes longer than it takes for shore leave to complete. If you're just sending them out manually again anyway, just watch for the "shore leave complete" messages in the event log.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #912 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »
So will Commercial Hangars be sufficient for my early-game geo surveyors who can't reach the further-off planets in Sol on their own? I want to make an auxiliary carrier to take them their and want to use the carriers throughout my empire later in the game to carry fighters that fill niche rolls I don't want to dedicate a whole shipyard to like Rescue ships and such.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:40:27 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #913 on: December 24, 2020, 12:28:35 AM »
So its not possible to add new mineral deposits to planets via the SM, right? You can only add them to the stockpile.

You can modify planet minerals in the system info screen. Same place you muck about with atmosphere and what not.

I'm afraid I'm blind, I can't seem to find the option on the screen where the atmospheric information is with SM on.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #914 on: December 24, 2020, 02:12:44 AM »
How does one make it so that constructed fighters automatically assign and dock themselves to their carrier?

What bearing does the strike group designations in the design screen have on this?

Not sure on the first one. For the latter I believe it's purely cosmetic as there's no feature to actually build a carrier and its fighters in one order, but it is useful to remind you what you intended to put in a carrier I guess.